This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Junior Boys tour dates

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Junior Boys tour dates
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Feb 15 2007 8:00PM High Voltage Manchester

Feb 16 2007 8:00PM ABC2 Glasgow

Feb 17 2007 8:00PM Speakeasy Belfast

Feb 18 2007 8:00PM Whelans Dublin

Feb 20 2007 7:30PM Dingwalls London

Feb 21 2007 8:00PM Pressure Point Brighton

Feb 22 2007 8:00PM Thekla Bristol

The London show is 10, but I don't know the cost of the others ...because they don't either!

That London show is the Tuesday after BigSexyLand. So just when we should have recovered...!

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're a bit underwhelming live. A bit beardy, earnest and sweater wear-y. And the main bloke indulges in totally uneccessary Robin Guthrie-itis.

That said other earnest bearded men in sweaters in the audience thought it was much better than I did.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this why you shaved your own beard off, Carcass - as a protest against Earnest-ism? ;-)

I suppose Robin Guthrie *was* an early indie beard-revivalist, wasn't he? Well spotted!

I thought you might have liked them, actually, but I guess it's just that one song, then? Personally, I was a bit late getting into them, but was pleasantly surprised when I did, this year.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i'd go if they promised not to do any songs off the new album.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're a totally different proposition live, I only really like 'In The Morning' and the name's a bit of a misnomer to put it mildly. Senior Men doesn't sound as good though, does it?
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them at Dingwalls tonight, and they were really, really very good. I quite like the way they were a bit more rocky live than on record. I didn't really get the 'earnest' thing. It was quite intense I suppose, but I mean, not earnest like Aereogramme or something.
The support band were Domino's new signing Bonde Do Role, who were so many different kinds of shite it was quite hard to keep up.

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Junior Boys were amiable enough live, but like Carcass says, it felt very earnest. It sounded like some quite good synth pop played quite well. They really missed the crispness of the record, that cutting sonic edge.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
was it Carcass who claimed, on another thread, that the songs on their new album sounded no more remarkable than run-of-the-mill Depeche Mode remixes? so far i've only played it through once, in the car. can't say it made the journey seem quicker but i did manage to traverse half the length of the M6 without getting cross at any other drivers.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's definitely got a "sensible motorist" vibe, that album.

I can't be bothered with it myself. I love Last Exit though.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw them live in Brighton earlier this week. I was worried it would sell as I hadn't bought tickets beforehand, but in the end it was hard to tell how good they were as there was only 39 people there (yes I counted). I like both the albums quite a lot, but I thought they didn't have enough poise (or as Derek says, the crispness of the sound) live to achieve the intimacy of the first record. I thought the rocky element mackstress refers to was a bit half hearted to be honest and didn't suit the material.

It's a bit harsh, but the gorgeous vocals on record didn't work as well being delivered by a post-graduate Biology student dressed for helping his mate move house. At least the other one's beard helped give him an electro professor look, confirmed by his Kraftwerk T-shirt.

Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I saw them at Cargo, there was a weird atmosphere too. Half absolute adoration from the dedicated fan-boys, the rest impatient indifference from thirsty bar-goers.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC