This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The Hold Steady

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The Hold Steady
Kid Dynamite
Member # 1449

- posted      Profile for Kid Dynamite     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are they any good?

They're lavishly praised by Q, Mojo, NME and various broadsheet newspapers, which would normally be reason enough for me to ignore them.

However, I saw an interview with the lead singer where he was asked about his favourite drinking songs. He mentioned Dillinger Four, Jawbreaker and The Replacements so now I'm tempted to give them a chance - conveniently enough they happen to be playing in Brum on Friday.

Posts: 226 | From: The Triple Rock Social Club | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They sound like Less Than Jake. Take that how you will.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to answer in even more of a summarised form than Mackstress, on the basis of hearing the album once due to it appearing in several "best of 2006" lists. So - here we go:

No.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know that other thread about Record Company Rock? The Hold Steady are the latest candidates.
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DmcB
Member # 259

- posted      Profile for DmcB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like them, although that's not something I'm comfortable admitting. It's easy to see why they get a slagging since they sound painfully out of date. However if you can get past that, then their songs are pretty decent and lyrically it's better than many.

I went to see them in Manchester, it's fair to say it was quite a middle aged crowd collectively dancing like it was their nieces wedding.

Posts: 106 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, can't believe the negative British reaction to them. Here in America they're praised in even the snobbiest indie circles for making fun rock that you can drink and shout along to, while at the same time making really smart songs with great lyrics.

If they are "record company rock" and that means more radio time for them, all the better, I say. It hasn't happened here, though.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IT'S NOT ENOUGH
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alrighty then.
Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They don't get any radio, doubt they will. They are record company rock in that record companies think they are exactly what the GBP want to hear.

Honest, I listened to the first ten seconds of every tune on the album, and that was that. You know when it is a sound that you just dislike? That was the hold-steady.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mafu
Member # 1663

- posted      Profile for mafu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
they're ok but it all gets very samey very quickly
Posts: 255 | From: london | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC