This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Old man advises critics to cool it (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Old man advises critics to cool it
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think he's just making the point that pop culture's now very much middle-aged culturally.

That's only a problem, I think if you're a teenager. It used to piss me off endlessly when I was 18 to hear that whatver new band were the New Byrds, or New thing that happened 20 years ago, and before you were born, and you missed it, so tough shit.

It doesn't bother me at all now though. Pop and its idea of a cultural year zero, though a beautiful idea in abstract, has had terrible, terrible social consequences.

Look at the people who originated it and what they became very, very quickly: bourgeois shits to a man.

[/mad soapbox rant]

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No I know where you're coming from Matt. Pop music has, in lots of ways, become culturally appropriated by older generations now and I sometimes wonder whether those generations - well, our generations, in part - aren't inadvertently choking its youth and vitality. Look at the popularity of 80s club nights, and look at the fact that a large proportion of the people who go to them are in their 30s and beyond (guilty as charged). It seems perhaps like the weight of pop's now considerable history, and the ever-growing Nostalgia Industry (which will always be weighted towards those with the most disposable income), is becoming a considerable burden.

I don't quite know where I'm going with this - and I'm certainly not saying that we should all just get our pipe and slippers out and stop going out altogether - but there's something about the fetishisation and prolongation of youth by much older generations that might actully not be doing many favours for existing youth, and pop culture, themselves.

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The thing with regard to "existing youth" and "pop culture" is that most of the acts coming through (or being pushed through) now appear to be prefitted with this bloody history, like a textbook they're obliged to memorise at school. On a British level at least there doesn't seem to be any artist or group who just comes out of nowhere; perhaps it's just not allowed these days. What price an AR Kane in 2007?
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ps: what I mean by "out of nowhere" is "unknowing"; the concept of the autodidacts who just stumble upon something new, which was probably fake even in the days of the Incredible String Band but romantically it's still nice to believe.
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AR Kane were rubbish.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For a man who has written about music for the last twenty years, he is bloody gullible, isn't he?

PRBloke1: Here you are Paul - this is the best band you have ever heard. (hands CD)

PM: Really? Best band ever. I hope it doesn't turn out that one has raised my hopes of the artist you are promoting. Whereas it may be that you are using this as a method to get me to listen to it, and probably extract 5 stars from OMM where we label at least four albums a month with a perfect mark, one may well find I have damaged morale that they are not actually, in reality, the best band ever.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, this is the thing, that process was well under-way, by the time you and me became teenagers.

The first pop thing I recall as an actual teenager, rather than a child, was the nostalgia-fest that surrounded the 10th Anniversary of Punk, and then the 20th Anniversary of 'Seargent Pepper', and then the nsotalgia-fest that surrounded the 20th Anniversary of 1968.

I mean if people fell in love with pop in the 60's, they're not going to stop liking it, and it's not going to stop meaning something to them once they hit their 50's or their 60's. There's no problem with that is there? At it's heart pop is just music turned into a beautiful product, which was a revolutionary idea in 1965, and like all revolutionary ideas led to people feeling the times belonged to them, and everything was possible.

The music just soundtracked the revolution though, and was the soundtrack to a generation gap, it didn't cause it or anything.

I'm kind of coming to the conclusion that the Myth of Pop is becoming an inhibitor of social progress, that's it's become a force of social control and cultural entropy.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

As Danny Baker aptly put it: "Something terrible always happens to music when you get to twenty-six."

The problem is that people who fell in love with pop in the '60s never stop liking the pop they fell in love with in the '60s but they're rarely keen on any pop after the '60s.

E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might be right Matt, though I'm not sure pop's got much influence on social progress either way. Certainly, the idea of "dangerous, out there rock'n'roll behaviour" as being seriously subversive in a wider sense now seems like risible nonsense. Look at the way the Brits are coveraged - the stories angled at the post-ceremony high jinks and "bad behaviour" seem as sanitised and corporate and hackneyed as anything. Getting coked up and twatting/groping inappropriate people doesn't seem remotely "dangerous" now, which is cool because it never was.

Some of the difference is that because fewer people in a lot of key Pop Demographic Niches are marrying and having kids young, you've got this whole swathe of adults still able to immerse themselves in the pop marketplace, and you could say that this is a consequence of social progress, though that's up for debate.

But in the wider sense no, pop music isn't ever gonna change the world. The search for "social progress" is to be found elsewhere, in much more ostensibly mundane areas of life.

[ 19.02.2007, 13:38: Message edited by: E10Rifle ]

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
the need for one's prose to look good (noncommital, lukewarm, shoulder-shrugging responses rarely result in incandescent writing)
I think that's an important point wingco, especially in the context of reviews that are often little over 100 words in most of the big mags. Trying to sum up a whole album in a coherent, well-written way, and cram a joke into that space, as well can very easily lead to either being too harsh or being too excitable, and I think human nature would lead people to choose the latter more often.
I've tried to be harsher recently, and ended up getting a gobful off the PR guy of a certain band because I gave their album a 5 (by which I meant 'dead-on average, nice enough, I'll never listen to it again'). "We usually get eights or nines off everyone else" he said. Said band could only produce an eight or nine album by forcing TV On The Radio to write on for them at gunpoint.

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Name and shame!
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now, I don't want to get into a "what are you on about, I love them" type argument, but Goldrush.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I sometimes wonder whether those generations - well, our generations, in part - aren't inadvertently choking its youth and vitality
i think the kids are doing a pretty good job of making their own entertainment, regardless of the participation of over-30's. i have, of course, very little evidence to support this theory, which paradoxically proves it.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, there's no problem about that, mack, I stopped caring about such things years ago. It's just that wankish PR/marketing behaviour should be pointed out at all times.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so bizarre. Why are you supposed to care what they "usually" get?

It'd be like someone demanding that you chat them up and insisting "people usually fancy me".

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC