This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Right Wing Rock (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Right Wing Rock
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Money" was written by Berry Gordy (with Motown receptionist Janie Bradford), not The Beatles. I think they just covered it cos it was a cool song. The despicable "Taxman" is their own true voice.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure PCP by the Manics is quite appropriate, but there is that line that sounds like it was written by Paul S, about how 'PC' used to mean 'Police Constable', although nowadays, hur hur, he can't even tell the difference!
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Yellow Submarine", according to some, is also a dig aimed at the UK government after the Beatles took their money offshore, so were exempt from Mr Wilson's 80% top rates of tax. "We all live in a yellow submarine"... must have had them howling in the corridors of the Treasury at the time.

[ 20.02.2007, 18:38: Message edited by: Rogin the francophile ]

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr Shadrak
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Mr Shadrak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"A Woman's Place Is In The Home" by Gilbert O'Sullivan (his first flop single after about three years of hits in the early 1970s).
Posts: 916 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
*Sexist
"
Now you know and I know
Rule number one, you can't trust no hoe
Now you can get caught up in the mix real fast
The hoe gon' slip away, get away with all your cash
You gots to stay up on your toes when it come to hoes
I bust a brand new hoe at every video
That's on the Pound and the Row, and like the wind blow -
I pass a hoe to my kinfolk - and then smoke
"

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both 'Hole In The Ground' and 'Right Said Fred' by Bernard Cribbins display a certain disdain towards the perceived limited intelligence of the working man that could be construed as adopting a right-wing position.

Of course 'Hole In The Ground' also features the 'man in a bowler hat' overseeing the work - clearly the kind of local government middle-manager whose non-specific remit and unaccountability would see his role mercilessly exposed by the Daily Mail.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"PCP" is a weird one. In fact, the whole of The Holy Bible has a right-wing thread running through it, in a zero-tolerance, Judge Dredd kinda way.

Even at the time (1994), I thought attacking Political Correctness was a bit small-minded and failing to focus on the world's greater evils.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
failing to focus on the world's greater evils
...which is something, ironically, which the song itself attacks:

"Systemised atrocity ignored
As long as bilingual signs on view"

(If you'll allow me to answer my own post, there.)

You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crucifixion aint no fiction
So called chosen frozen
Apology made to whoever pleases
Still they got me like Jesus

Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think there's ever been a song written eulogising Thatcher and Tebbitt's views on education better that this one.

"Wake up Maggie I think I got something to say to you
Its late september and I really should be back at school
I know I keep you amused but I feel Im being used
Oh maggie I couldnt have tried any more
You lured me away from home just to save you from being alone
You stole my heart and thats what really hurt

The morning sun when its in your face really shows your age
But that dont worry me none in my eyes youre everything
I laughed at all of your jokes my love you didnt need to coax
Oh, Maggie I couldnt have tried any more
You lured me away from home, just to save you from being alone
You stole my soul and thats a pain I can do without

All I needed was a friend to lend a guiding hand
But you turned into a lover and
Mother what a lover, you wore me out
All you did was wreck my bed
And in the morning kick me in the head
Oh Maggie I couldnt have tried anymore
You lured me away from home cause you didnt want to be alone
You stole my heart I couldnt leave you if I tried

I suppose I could collect my books and get on back to school
Or steal my daddys cue and make a living out of playing pool
Or find myself a rock and roll band that needs a helpin hand
Oh Maggie I wish Id never seen your face
You made a first-class fool out of me
But I'm as blind as a fool can be
You stole my heart but I love you anyway"

The last line in particular is a right giveaway. Alright, it was written in 1971 not 1981, but even so.

Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, categories:

*Economically conservative (anti-union, anti-taxation, pro-market, etc) - YES
*Homophobic - YES, if it's political distaste rather than just some rockist reference to "fags"
*Racist - YES
*Sexist (in a jokey, Macc Ladds/Monks kinda way, or a too-many-to-mention Heavy Metal way) - NO, although I'm toying with "Livin Lovin Maid" by Led Zeppelin
*Patriotic - YES, if overly aggressive
*Pro-monarchist - YES, potentially
*Anti-abortion - YES
*Pro-family values/Anti-divorce - YES if it's a bit more snarky than "Let's Stick Together"
*Just generally grumpily small-c conservative in a middle-aged Mr Angry/Mike Dickin kind of way, or fogeyish and fun-hating, in a Little Englander, Philip Larkin kind of way, you know what I mean. - Only if there's a clear political element... for example, a song called "There's A Conspiracy Against Motorists" wouldn't make the grade, but the Littlejohn end of Little Englanderism certainly would.

If there were a candidate for inclusion from the Manics, it would surely be "Archives Of Pain", which is more or less a call for capital punishment. Would be seriously pushing it to include them here, though, seeing as they're generally one of the most outspoken leftist bands still in existence.

That "Yellow Submarine" story is a crock. Especially as it was a McCartney number, and he was the only Beatle who was an outspoken Labour supporter (Lennon was cynical about politics and voted Tory on the advice of his accountant until he discovered Marxism through Yoko; Ringo was utterly apathetic about anything that smacked of politics, and refused to vote on principle; George was an unapologetic Tory for economic reasons, although he didn't have much time for their social agenda).

There are a few Leonard Cohen songs that take a pretty strong anti-abortion line. He was also a Zionist, but this was in the good old days - he actually signed up to the Israeli army in the Yom Kippur war (and even hung out with Ariel Sharon), but I believe he subsequently distanced himself, though he's still a favourite with right-wing Israelis.

But if you're going to write anti-abortion songs, you may as well make them as thoughtful and disturbing as "The Story Of Isaac"... Cohen fans are divided on what this actually means (a lot have it down as an anti-war song) but it seems fairly clear to me, especially the live version:

quote:
The door it opened slowly,
My father he came in, I was nine years old.
And he stood so tall above me,
His blue eyes they were shining
And his voice was very cold.
He said "Ive had a vision
And you know Im strong and holy,
I must do what Ive been told."
So he started up the mountain,
I was running, he was walking,
And his axe was made of burning gold.

Well, the trees they got much smaller,
The lake was like a lady's mirror,
As we stopped to drink some wine.
Then he threw the bottle over
It broke a minute later
And he put his hand on mine.
Thought I saw an eagle,
But it might have been a vulture,
I never could decide.
Then my father built an altar,
He looked once behind his shoulder,
He knew I would not hide.

You who build these altars now
To sacrifice these children,
You must not do it anymore.
A scheme is not a vision
And you never have been tempted
By a demon or a god.
You who stand above them now,
Your hatchets blunt and bloody,
You were not there before,
When I lay upon a mountain
And my fathers hand was trembling
With the beauty - yes the beauty - of the Word.

And if you call me brother now,
Forgive me if I inquire,
Just according to whose plan?
When it all comes down to dust
I will kill you if I must,
I will help you if I can.
When it all comes down to dust
I will help you if I must,
I will kill you if I can.
And mercy on our uniform,
Man of peace - man of war -
The peacock spreads his deadly fan.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Dreadlock Holiday count as racist? I remember there was a discussion on otf about it at one point.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Boom Bye Bye" by Buju Banton might have to get the elbow. It fits the bill, but it's so fucking nauseating it might spoil the party somewhat.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

Taylor, I'm not prepared to have another night like the other fucking night again, but do bear in mind that "Lennon was cynical about politics and voted Tory on the advice of his accountant until he discovered Marxism through Yoko", could by some extreme cynics be read as "Lennon embraced Marxism through Yoko after he'd moved his money out of the country on the advice of his accountant, was already living in New York and knew he'd hardly ever pay a penny in tax ever again".

I'm not one of those extreme cynics, but the dates do all fit, you know.

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Taylor, are you including that freaky ********* song you once sent me, written from the point of view of ********?

[ 20.02.2007, 19:17: Message edited by: Spearmint Rhino ]

This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC