This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Right Wing Rock (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Right Wing Rock
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call, ME. I remember Anne Nightingale reading out a complaint from an unemployed bloke once, because she'd given 'Let's Work' an airing. She played 'Don't Give Up' by Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush to make up for it.
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor, have you got An Open Letter To My Teenage Son (Battle Hymn Of The Republic) (link here) by Victor Lundberg?

It's a spoken word track, where the father goes on about how he respects his son's right to have long hair and generally act like a hippy, but if he ever dodges the draft he'll disown him.

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahahaha.... "Your mother will love you no matter what you do... for She Is A Woman"

[ 20.02.2007, 21:10: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Plenty to choose with The Stranglers, but I'd probably settle for Curfew.

quote:
The enemy has cut down all of the power
London south of the Thames is invaded
Westminster is razed down to the ground
The government has fled
The government has fled
The government has fled for Scotland today

Grey becomes black and white
Is it true what they say
They turn the day into night
Black and white becomes

The government has fled into thin air
What's left of our troops have joined with the Scots
To form a defence across of the north
Stay in your homes
Stay in your homes
Be off the streets by nightfall

Is it true what they say
Black and white becomes

Germany failed to protect her borders
She had grown soft with the American dream
Men from the Steppes delivered their vacuum
A new kind of freedom
Freedom's a chain
Maybe I'll find love when their's nothing to do

Is it true what they say
Black and white becomes

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Miserable set of cunts, The Stranglers, aren't they.

Anyway, I'd never seen the video to Let's Work before. State.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

- posted      Profile for Robin Carmody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those are *spectacularly* awful lyrics, Purves.
Posts: 1275 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ermmm... "Goodness Gracious Me"?
Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

- posted      Profile for Robin Carmody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Crudely stereotypical, certainly, but merely the norm of its time. It was all unconscious back then, and there was more retrospectively offensive stuff than that around, then and for some time after.
Posts: 1275 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

- posted      Profile for twohundredpercent     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's really difficult, this, isn't it? The first thing I thought of was "Part Of The Union", but that had gone early on.

So far as the sexism thing is concerned, "Stay With Me" stands out, but I can't help but think (with my oh-so-ironic modern attitude) that they must have been taking the piss out of something or someone.

I find "Brown Sugar" fairly lyrically objectionable too, on several different levels.

Posts: 4298 | From: Sussex By The Sea | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, "Brown Sugar" is an astonishingly stupid and degrading lyric - but I don't think it can really count as right-wing, any more than Paul Gascoigne saying "fuck off Norway". It's just schoolboy nonsense. And unless they're truly spectacular, sexist songs are inadmissible, because that would include two-thirds of the entire history of popular music.

It's pretty hard to find good examples of bands / singers anyone's ever heard of daring to be openly right-wing. I suspect most of this compilation will be unknowns, who are much more outspoken and much funnier - but it would be good to get more stars in.

That Victor Lundberg track is in, and "Let's Work" is on the shortlist.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twohundredpercent
Member # 1637

This is the thing, isn't it? It's just casually endemic of its time. It's hardly "C/conservative". I keep thinking that Queen should be in there too, but I might just be getting confused because of Sun City.

To be fair, I'm easily confused.

mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If we're talking Morrissey, surely 'Bengali In Platforms' is the glaring choice?
If hard-nosed capitalism counts, what about 'Money' by The Flying Lizards or 'Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent'?

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I need more Brits. It's 95% American at the moment, which just looks unfair.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BLur's 'Girls & Boys' must be in with a chance? 'Material Girl'?
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How is Girls and Boys right-wing? The only lyric I can think of is "Avoiding all work/cause there's none available", and that's a big stretch.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC