This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Right Wing Rock (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Right Wing Rock
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not really so much of a stretch, surely? The implication is that unemployment is largely down to laziness. It's all implied, but there's a general sense of general disgust for the great unwashed that I would have thought was undeniable. "Like battery thinkers, count their thoughts, on 1,2,3,4,5 fingers".
Like most dodgy songs, it's can easily enough be interpreted another way - you could argue he's only talking about a certain kind of working-class person - and made to sound innocent, but you can't mistake the impression.

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If hard-nosed capitalism counts, what about 'Money' by The Flying Lizards or 'Ain't Nothing Going On But The Rent'?
It's interesting (top of the morning to you, Andy C) that you'd cite the Flying Lizard version of the Barrett Strong original, mackstress. I do agree with that, though. Strong's version sounds to me like it is sung from a perspective of poverty, whereas the Flying Lizards sound cold, calculating and greedy as if setting the scene for the nasty 1980s.

You're wrong on the latter suggestions though. Gwen Guthrie is speaking to a love interest who is not interested in obtaining employment in a bid to secure their mutual future. Basically, if he can't chip in financially, there are no relationship prospects. Which is not right-wing. Maybe it is not taking a very kind view on the problem of unemployment, I do think though that the song implies that the dude is lazy, not the victim of a depressed employment market.

I'd suggest replacing Guthrie's song with Destiny's Child's "Bills Bills Bills", with its theme of the love interest bringing in so much funds as to facilitate a bling lifestyle. That song, like most of the other bling-orientated songs in R&B and Hip Hop, is in-you-face capitalism.

(Apologies if the point has been made better before; I haven't had the opportunity to read the whole thread yet)

[ 21.02.2007, 07:05: Message edited by: G-Man ]

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Like most dodgy songs, it's can easily enough be interpreted another way - you could argue he's only talking about a certain kind of working-class person - and made to sound innocent, but you can't mistake the impression.
But he so obviously is talking specifically about people on Club 18-30 (or similar) holidays.

I can't see how "cause there's none available" means the people "avoiding all work" are lazy, either.

Of course it's aimed at a section of the "great unwashed", but it's a massive stretch to say that it's therefore denigrating the working classes as a whole.

[ 21.02.2007, 08:14: Message edited by: The Horse ]

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Strong's version sounds to me like it is sung from a perspective of poverty, whereas the Flying Lizards sound cold, calculating and greedy as if setting the scene for the nasty 1980s.
Nah, the Flying Lizards version is too steeped in irony, subversion and detournement to count as right-wing.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, that Victor Lundberg track is astonishing, isn't it? If that's the only outstanding contender that this thread throws up, it was still worth doing. Great spot, Alderman Barnes.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a very good point G-Man, I stand corrected.

Horse:
quote:
I can't see how "cause there's none available" means the people "avoiding all work" are lazy, either.
The sneering tone of voice it's sung in puts inverted commas round 'none available'.

quote:
Of course it's aimed at a section of the "great unwashed", but it's a massive stretch to say that it's therefore denigrating the working classes as a whole.
That's what I was saying before, it's easy to excuse it by saying it's about a "certain section". It's like people sneering about 'chavs' and then excusing it the same way.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Hang on, what's wrong with sneering at chavs, or indeed Club 18-30 people? No 'excusing' going on, no need.
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you understand that the sort of people who constantly sneer at you and your friends on the tube or in the street similarly find nothing wrong with sneering at you and need to find no excuse for doing so.
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The whole song is sung in a sneery monotone, that's just how he sings it.

You still seem to be saying that sneering at a section of the working class = sneering at the working class. This simply won't hold. If people criticise chavs and chavs has a specific meaning, rather than just being synonymous with the working class, then what's the problem?

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I think.
The Horse
Member # 27

Well, OK but I think the onus is on you to back up what appears to be a simple logical fallacy.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
As long as you understand that the sort of people who constantly sneer at you and your friends on the tube or in the street similarly find nothing wrong with sneering at you and need to find no excuse for doing so.
I'm sure they have their reasons, and I'm fine with that. Let's have it out in the open. "I'd rather be hated for what I am than loved for what I'm not", etc.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
You still seem to be saying that sneering at a section of the working class = sneering at the working class. This simply won't hold. If people criticise chavs and chavs has a specific meaning, rather than just being synonymous with the working class, then what's the problem?
Yep, exactly. Making the equations Chav = Working Class and Working Class = Chav (as Julie Burchill does, loudly and repeatedly), now that is right-wing.
mackstress
Member # 1485

Sorry, that was to Rhino. I don't think you can accuse me of logical fallacy Horse; we're not talking about Damon Albarn making a logical argument, and as far as I'm said quite clearly it was all implicated and logically speaking, could be explained away. What I am saying i that the tone and the ways in which he attacks a certain section of working-class youth seems to me to suggest ideas that stretch further.
I mean, apart from obscuritites or neo-nazi music etc, most right-wing songs would work by specific examples rather than explicitly condemning whole classes/races/genders surely? If you can find a song entitled 'Fuck Me, The Working Class Are Stupid, Aren't They?' I'll be very impressed.

Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's on side 2 of Avalon, isn't it?
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC