This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Right Wing Rock (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: Right Wing Rock
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We'll have to agree to disagree on that one, I think.
Meh. OK.

But if you're gonna keep equating Working Class with Chav, you can't expect me to let it lie.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I do get what you're saying, SR, and Burchill can speak for herself, I'm sure, but I'm not making that equation. I'm saying people use a section that's an easy target to vent a distasteful class-based disgust.
Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm saying people use a section that's an easy target to vent a distasteful class-based disgust.
Well, there's no way you can know that. You're projecting. There's nothing else in the immediate lyrical context to back it up. All you've got in the way of evidence is the tone of Damon's voice, which is somewhat flimsy.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I mean, apart from obscuritites or neo-nazi music etc, most right-wing songs would work by specific examples rather than explicitly condemning whole classes/races/genders surely? If you can find a song entitled 'Fuck Me, The Working Class Are Stupid, Aren't They?' I'll be very impressed.
Well, that's sort of almost the whole idea of the thread. But a song that's openly anti-union, like that Kinks one, or openly advocating economic inequality, like Trees by Rush, is the sort of thing Taylor's after, I think.

quote:
What I am saying i that the tone and the ways in which he attacks a certain section of working-class youth seems to me to suggest ideas that stretch further.
Right. Well, I think this is pretty much the definition of "a stretch". What's Taylor gonna do, include a sleeve note saying "I know it sounds like he's mocking a very specific part of the working class rather than the working class as a whole, but I don't like his tone"?
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackstress
Member # 1485

- posted      Profile for mackstress     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Listen, we clearly interpret the song differently, fair enough. I can't see it your way, you're not going to see it mine, but I don't think it was an entirely unreasonable suggestion.
Next?

Posts: 1670 | From: London | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, back to topic: have we had "Part Of The Union" yet?
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Is A Mean, Mean Colour - Steve Harley & Cockney Rebel
Red London - Sham 69

Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Re: the Albarn thing, I think there's a lot of general loathing of the masses in his songs, but I'm not persuaded it's class-based in particular; I think he's just a bit of a misanthrope. So right wing per se, I can't quite see. I think that credits him with far more political sophistication than he actually possesses.

[ 21.02.2007, 10:04: Message edited by: Super Sharp Shooter ]

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

Damon Albarn, so right wing he asked Ken Livingstone to do a turn on The Great Escape.

"Lookin' After Number One" by the Boomtown Rats. People seem to forget that Geldof was bigging up Thatcher as ardently as Weller in the '77 music press.

mackstress
Member # 1485

Oi, I was only talking about the one song. Single songs were allowed. Anyway, carry on.
The Horse
Member # 27

I think Albarn generally displays a good deal of affection for the masses - his songs about the suburbs tend to have a wistful, romantic, sympathetic air. They're arguably patronising and dilettantish, of course.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another American (well, American-Danish) one, I'm afraid, but how about this by Metallica?

quote:

Don't Tread On Me

so donīt tread on me

Liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
once you provoke her, rattling of her tail
never begins it, never, but once engaged...
never surrenders, showing the fangs of rage

so don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more
to secure peace is to prepare for war
so be it
settle the score
touch me again for the words that you'll hear evermore...

don't tread on me

love it or leave it, she with the deadly bite
quick is the blue tongue, forked as lighting strike
shining with brightness, always on surveillance
the eyes, they never close, emblem of vigilance

oh no no no

so don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more
so be it
settle the score

don't tread on me

so be it
threaten no more

liberty or death, what we so proudly hail
once you provoke her, rattling on her tail

so be it
threaten no more
so be it
settle the score

don't tread on me!

[ 21.02.2007, 11:07: Message edited by: Wyatt Earp ]

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

Yes, well, Metallica.

Does Jim Davidson's side-splitting version of "White Christmas" count?

Mat Pereira
Member # 43

- posted      Profile for Mat Pereira     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, Taylor's already mentioned 'Get Back In Line' by The Kinks, I see.

I do actually love that song, even though I hate the sentiments behind it. Oddly, prescient of the kind of thing me, Robin and John have been talking about on another thread.

The moment on the 'Lola' album that did make me feel a bit uneasy, is the end of 'Top of the Pops' represents the voice of the music business by putting on a ridiculously mannered Jewish accent and says [something like] 'and now you're going to have to make some real money'.

A real 'what-the-fuck' moment hearing that was, actually.

Posts: 9018 | From: The Sticks | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC