This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Fopp gone bust? (Page 10)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Fopp gone bust?
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just last week, the centre of the Toronto record-buying world finally went out of business. After 50-odd years, Sam The Record Man on Yonge Street finally closed. At one time there were over 100 stores; now there are two. The flagship on Yonge was indeed a shrine to anyone looking for brand new music, or music you simply couldn't find anywhere else. I could go on about the reasons for its demise, and there is certainly plenty of blame to go around. Not the least of which is the price of CDs. When you can buy a blank disc for 50 cents, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that there's some price gouging to get the retail price up to $15.99 or more.
But no one seems to learn their lesson. Now that online downloading is legal, iTunes continues to charge virtually the same price per track as you'd pay for it on hard disc: $1 per track. Nuts. No wonder kids are so happy to 'care and share'.

Ah well. Times change. Henry Ford could hardly bother himself worrying about what would become of the horseshoe industry any more than Bill Gates thought "wither the typewriter manufacturers?".
Lamentations are pointless for any other reason than nostalgia.

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HMV wants a piece of the action
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rough Trade East is open. Had a look today- it's pretty cool, though still a work in progress. Massive shop, an area where you'll be able to hook up wi-fi to the internet, coffee etc, loads of tables, and the Rough Trade offices are part of the same open plan area, up a small flight of stairs. It's really cool.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The HMV thing is on.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So much for the flagship TCR store then.
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How much actual record shop is there in Rough Trade East? I suppose there'll still be Rough Trade prices as well... :-(
Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great. That'll be three HMVs in Nottingham, then.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will the 'venue/cafe' part of the Tottenham Court Road store re-open as an independent venue, I wonder?

I guess that the problem with the TCR store was that the ground rent must have been astronomical, but relatively fewer people must have come through the doors (possibly a function of the Virgin store being right next to the tube exits and nabbing the casual shoppers, I guess).

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

How anyone could possibly be attracted to the train wreck that is the TCR Virgin Megastore is beyond me.

The problem with the TCR store was all the other stores Fopp had. If they'd concentrated on that alone and stopped trying to be Tesco it would still be open.

Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

also near the end the stock control of TCR Fopp was useless. lots of empty browser markers; they hardly had anything i came in to look for. in addition live music should be banned from record shops and kept in clubs where it belongs. half the fridays i go into hmv oxford circus half the cds are sectioned off because of some crap performance/signing by a third rate bunch of zane lowe rejects. are hmv so rich they're not bothered about losing money/customers? recent behaviour wouldn't suggest it.
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
also near the end the stock control of TCR Fopp was useless. lots of empty browser markers; they hardly had anything i came in to look for.
Ah, that would be because the distributors were refusing to send stock until they'd sorted the Music Zone debacle.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The TCR Fopp is gone. The Cambridge Circus one is *in theory* alive but I'm gambling the HMV computers don't do differential pricing; so you're getting Fopp brand at HMV prices.

Jesus keeps weeping.

Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tonght (well last night technically) the TCR branch of fopp has a huge metal "squat door" surrounded by sheets of steel boarding it up. Looks as if an old 80s style ram raid had taken place recently.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Covent Garden branch is open again. Anyone know what's going on?
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lyra
Member # 1669

- posted      Profile for lyra     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it's not Fopp themselves but the shops are being run by someone else, I think it's HMV.
Posts: 2387 | From: Arcadia | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  ...  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC