This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Fopp gone bust? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Fopp gone bust?
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i suspect the mountains of Rudebox for a glorious 3 was the final nail in the coffin.
and despite a certain slating from Carcass, i have listened to the album this week more than anything else ! well, that and Nuggets which i also got from Fopp ..
damn, i feel i may well up.
there really is nothing else in Bristol now, after all, the appearance of Fopp created the situation where many an indie shop just closed down (I know of 4 at least in last 3 years) - and now if Fopp goes it really means i may even have to read a fucking book.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bit of a shame this. My mate who used to work at the Fopp branch in Cambridge says he thinks that they "opened loads of new shops all at once but with the same old shitty stock that you can get anywhere".

That and Ben's Cookies, CTT.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wasn't the flagship store really new?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes.

There are lots of stories circulating why - most seem to buying the MusicZone chain.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there any truth in the rumour that staff at Fopp got a bonus whenever an independent record shop in the area closed down?
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is going to happen to the girl who worked at Fopp?
Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her life passes to the creditors.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone on another board reckons they're moving their warehouse from somewhere in the South to Stockport.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did think it was odd when, about a month ago, I went in to the Oxford branch to buy the new Rufus Wainwright album on the day of release.

The youth behind the counter looked somewhat embarassed to admit they hadn't got any. Problems with the suppliers. Spying my bemused expression he gamely offered to order it for me.

I grinned broadly at his chutzpah and said that, though it was a kind offer I was simply going to go and do the obvious thing. He nodded ruefully as I trudged off to the Virgin Megastore.

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Music, books and DVD retailer Fopp has told publishers to cease supplying it with book stock. In an email sent to about 20 publishers and book suppliers today (14th June), the retailer instructed them to cancel any orders for new and backlist titles. It blamed "unforseen circumstances" for the cancellation. However, a Fopp spokesman told The Bookseller that it was a temporary measure as the chain moved warehouses.

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/40723-fopp-puts-a-hold-on-book-supply.html
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ale
Member # 107

- posted      Profile for ale     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
theres some cracking book prices at the moment...got Peter Robinsons 'Football Days' and Hunter Davies 'Boots Ball & Haircuts' for 3 each just last week...

they were also advertising 'Get Carter' and a double DVD of 'Exorcist/Shining' at 3 each but neither were currently in stock...

Posts: 3315 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
He nodded ruefully as I trudged off to the Virgin Megastore.
Where, presumably, you bought it for 5 more.

Ah well, at least there's still Oxfam Books in that little street I walk down in Cambridge.

Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I grinned broadly at his chutzpah and said that, though it was a kind offer I was simply going to go and do the obvious thing
Buy something good instead?
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

quote:
Where, presumably, you bought it for 5 more.
Well, I bought the special edition including the bonus DVD for 15, which was 5 cheaper than HMV were doing it for. It's hard to say how much Fopp would have charged given that they failed to overcome the first hurdle of actually having any.
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this Smiths event is still on?

http://www.fopp-tcr.co.uk/

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC