This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Fopp gone bust? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Fopp gone bust?
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just phoned Tottenham Court Road branch - they're open today. But intriguingly, they're accepting cash only today - no cards. Apparently there's a problem with their card readers.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the problem is that they transfer funds to their bank, obviously plummeting into a debt hole. Whereas cash can be kept and spent. Presumably they've promised wages to the staff in order to get them in, so they've got to take that in cash at the very least.

Horrible, really. I've been working somewhere when it went bust three times now. It's never fun.

Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To work somewhere that goes bust once may be regarded as a misfortune, but three times...

</Wilde>

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/40723-fopp-puts-a-hold-on-book-supply.html
I wouldn't necessarily believe all ye read in that rag...

http://www.thebookseller.com/news/40739-union-calls-waterstones-meeting.html

http://www.booksunion.net

Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
To work somewhere that goes bust once may be regarded as a misfortune, but three times...
... means you work in the videogame industry. I know people who are heading towards double figures.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hah. The magazine industry isn't much different.

Although in my case, the mags seem to go down shortly after I leave. (Which you can interpret two ways...)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lipper
Member # 35

- posted      Profile for Lipper     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine from Glasgow who used to manage the big HMV store in downtown Toronto (and used to do alright by it as well, judging by the concert tickets and drinks that he put my way in the time I knew him), went back home just over a year ago to manage the Fopp store in Glasgow. If this is as widespread as it seems, it would appear that shit has not eventually worked out quite as well as he would have hoped for his return. Which is a shame as he was a decent guy to talk to about music, or books, or football. I recently got hold of his e-mail from over there, but it's a company address, and I've been too lazy to bother getting back in touch yet. However, I should likely get off my ass and contact him, as who knows how long this address stays valid, if it even is now? Although, if this falls through, he'll probably just find me on the facebook.
Posts: 500 | From: a funeral to a night on the town, without even going home to change. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner v8.2
Member # 1425

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner v8.2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been in the London WC1 branch. Only cash sales, very little in the 1 bin yet. Stephen Fry, wearing a big grin and gren cords was just leaving.
Posts: 2818 | From: Marching through Georgia | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking to a mate-of-a-mate who works in one of the branches today it'll be a permanent state of affairs.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mixed feelings about this. I like browsing Fopp, but rarely spend any money there. I guess I'm lucky in that Nottingham has Selectadisc, but I can't help but feel that all these towns like Leamington where Fopp is the only thing going for it might have a good (true) independent record store if it wasn't for Fopp (probably not with the internet, but Fopp didn't help. I think it's Cambridge where Fopp is/was particularly unpopular and is blamed for the closing of a couple of superior indies.

And their committment to true indie music was only skin deep: there was fuck all beneath their (appalling) 'unsigned talent' compilations. They wouldn't take posters or flyers for local gigs and made no effort to integrate themselves into Nottingham's scene.

Fopp, to me, sells (sold?) pretty Taschen books cheap (which is good) and Q magazine fodder for a fiver, which I'm less bothered about. Most music I care about was ridiculously expensive or not stocked, though they did recently have the whole Constellation Records back catalogue for 8, which was nice.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FOPP Manchester was open as normal yesterday.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had this myspace bulletin from a guy who ran a (very short lived) indie shop in Sheffield recently:

quote:
Apparently Fopp has closed down. After buying the shitty Music Zone chain, which closed early this year, Fopp have fucked themselves by trying to buy out the competition... and I remember the days when Fopp was actually an independent...

Thanks for screwing us all over Fopp, and now loads of people had to shut their shops! But at least it benefits the true independents that managed to survive!

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree that FOPP is/was a mixed blessing. Although it's great to get the likes of Pet Sounds for a fiver, browsing through the racks was as profoundy depressing as HMV or Virgin (in fact, the bigger HMVs were generally better than the smaller FOPPs).

Rough Trade are about to open the biggest independent music store in the whole of the UK at the moment, in London's fashionable Shoreditch. I'll be spending my money there instead.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yesterday's paper reading fed me the news that they funded the purchase of MusicZone on floating rates.

So, an already stretched transaction would be 0.75% more expensive already.

The advantage Fopp has over Rough Trade is the difference of about 3 on the price of a CD. Maybe this is part of why Fopp is troubled also, but it does make it hard to remain as fond of RT when you can see a clear mark-up.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, know what you mean. I don't think independent retailers can compete with Amazon or what not on price entirely, though. The challenge for indies is to provide such a good service that you feel OK paying a tiny bit extra, hence I never even bother looking to see if I can get stuff cheaper than Boomkat. It hardly seems worthwhile to save myself a pittance. Though as you say 3 is hard to swallow.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC