This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Fopp gone bust? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Fopp gone bust?
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should say, I think there's no reason an operation like FOPP can't make a stack. It's just a stack 'em high, sell 'em cheap operation, which is what a lot of bookshops more or less are these days.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm prepared to pay extra in Selectadisc (not that I do very often), becuase Selectadisc offers a far wider choice. By selling CDs that are less profitable at a reasonable price it offers me a great service. So if I (hypothetically) pay 6 rather than Fopp's 5 for a more mainstream album in Selectadisc I don't feel hard done by because I see that pound as subsidising the less profitable albums- which I'm glad they sell.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Apparently Fopp weren't taking cards today and they've got no new releases.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fopp is just Our Price with a stripey top and a chip-pan haircut. Selectadisc has been mint since dot.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Selectadisk is good, but I hear rumours that they're kind of dodgy, too.

They never seem to run out of those 5 pound Herbie Hancock LPs, do they? It's as if they just run them off whenever they need them.

Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of OTF's newest members is foppsolihul. Maybe they can help us out?
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've really lost interest in record shops in the last few years but the prospect of a local Rough Trade has got me excited again.

Selectadisc has become Sister Ray, hasn't it?

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other Selectadisc has. Whenever I got homesick in Soho, I'd go in there for a mooch.

The proper Selectadisc even had its own tramp called Mr Pope who used to sit by the door on a stack of fanzines when it was raining.

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I never even bother looking to see if I can get stuff cheaper than Boomkat. It hardly seems worthwhile to save myself a pittance. Though as you say 3 is hard to swallow.
I know what you mean exactly - but, strangely, boomkat is well priced. Just because my post has been dodgy (and I was impatient) I didn't get the Mute box through them - I went to RT. And paid an extra 9 on it for the pleasure.

Some of the RT staff (Neal's Yard) still leave me with the feeling that they are aloof to everything in a way that only Phonica staff try to be competitive. And that is when I can feel fine to walk into BMSoho and Unground Solushn without ever feeling that. Something makes me feel that the indie stores often just want to go bust.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phonica staff are just horribly aloof. I was looking forward to going in there after I'd first read about the place; I left totally disillusioned and thinking thoughts that would make many a Northerner proud.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I dunno, I quite like the thrill of the battle. When it's you vs Record Shop guy, and he's (it's always a he) is sneerily looking through yr purchases. Bob Walking Seed at Probe in Liverpool was the true expert, not until you had enough garage cred would Bob hint at knowing you existed, never mind had been a regular, every Saturday for the last 4 years.

The one day, you were bessie mates, he'd be putting records on for you to hear and comment on, he would take counsel from you. But he'd still never understand why you had a Mousefolk 7" in amongst a collection of Louisiana Punk, Chesterfield Kings LIVE!, Locust Abortion Technician and something by the New Christs.

In fairness, Bob was probably right.

But this rite of passage should never die. Record Shop guy should remain surly and snotty. It's a serious business.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DGLH et al:

I presume you already knew that there is a sale going on at Juno at the moment? It's not much of one, admittedly, but...

http://www.juno.co.uk/sale/

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not buying records until I have moved. It is pointless, especially considering I have bought stuff on kompakt cheaper in NYC that here. Plus, shipping everything is going to be a real pain.

juno are really good though.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ibex Trounce
Member # 822

- posted      Profile for Ibex Trounce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buying records shouldn't be a battle. I'm the customer, it's my money, if you're going to give me hassle I'll get it somewhere else and you'll be out of a job in three months.

Hopefully all record shops will get rid of counter staff with "attitude" and replace them with self-checkouts such as you get in Sainsbury's and M&S.

Posts: 1319 | From: helm hard-a-port | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am agreeing with ZZ's post, and laughing my bollocks off at GIK's.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC