This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Fopp gone bust? (Page 7)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   
Author Topic: Fopp gone bust?
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, like it or not, I'm still coming.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it with Magners all of a sudden? People are fucking suckers for advertising.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I'm sure board members from bristol will know what happened to their record shops after Fopp arrived.
True - there was a really good one just opposite that closed straight after Fopp moved in. I got War Ina Babylon by Max Romeo on chunky vinyl there. There's still another going strong on Park Street though (I'm useless with shop names). And there's still Plastic Wax on Gloucester Road, where I bought my prized copy of 'John Kettley Is A Weatherman' by A Tribe Of Toffs.

There are three Fopps in Bristol now.

quote:

What is going to happen to the girl who worked at Fopp?

You know, when I picked up the courage to go in there I never saw her again. She was lovely though.
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lieutenant Dub
Member # 1146

- posted      Profile for Lieutenant Dub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and I've been to Brighton once - I nearly choked to death on a herring rollmop on one of the piers. No-one bothered to help me, they just stood round staring, like it was some kind of fucking performance art piece or something. So just like London, then - chock-full of absolute cunts (I'm sure you're the exception, HF).
Posts: 1456 | From: nowhere near you | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
True - there was a really good one just opposite that closed straight after Fopp moved in. I got War Ina Babylon by Max Romeo on chunky vinyl there. There's still another going strong on Park Street though (I'm useless with shop names).

Imperial was opposite and closed a couple of years ago - a tragedy as it was a great shop, and Replay further up from Fopp on Park Street, closed earlier this year i had heard.
or is it still open ?
There was also, Disc-n-Tape on Glos Road - now gone, and Eat To The Beat, also gone.

I think along with the rise in rents that happened, Fopp have helped decimate the indies in Bristol.

[ 27.06.2007, 14:05: Message edited by: mark e ]

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hissing fauna
Member # 7071

- posted      Profile for hissing fauna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SR: exceptions made for otf board members. Which bit of our fair town are you moving to?

The Magners thing: I'm sure in a couple of years time people will be thinking wtf was I doing drinking cider (essentially an adolescents drink) with ice??

Posts: 206 | From: brighton is not 'london by the sea' | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, as they down a bottle of lurid green disco piss called "Slagg" that has been labelled the next big drink.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a bit of a ponce's Skegness now.

(But it's still better than Margate)

Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hissing fauna
Member # 7071

- posted      Profile for hissing fauna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Slagg" ad campaign would be a freat new vehicle for Danny Dyer - "Slagg - for when it goes right off!!"
Posts: 206 | From: brighton is not 'london by the sea' | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I would have said London By The Sea was a stunningly accurate description of the place.
I played the Sunday night show at the Brighton Komedia a couple of months ago, and the compere asked at the top of the night where the 300-odd people in the crowd were from. They were overwhelmingly from London.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And the rest were from Latvia.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We'll be here all week.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In case it's of interest, I spent my first year in a house on the edge of Moulsecombe and my latter two in a flat just off Preston Drove quite near London Road station.

A colleague of mine who was from London told me that Brighton was more dangerous because all the likely lads in London assumed that there would be someone harder than them around, whereas they reckoned they'd be king of the walk in Brighton.

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
SR: exceptions made for otf board members. Which bit of our fair town are you moving to?
Anywhere that'll have me. Basically looking to rent somewhere fairly central, so I can get to and from the railway station without too much hassle. I'll start looking in earnest in about a month from now.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hissing fauna
Member # 7071

quote:
A colleague of mine who was from London told me that Brighton was more dangerous because all the likely lads in London assumed that there would be someone harder than them around, whereas they reckoned they'd be king of the walk in Brighton.
it does get a bit hairy round the Real Eating Company on Saturday night if they've run out of artisan goats cheese (or something)
  This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC