This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The return of British Sea Power (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The return of British Sea Power
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BRITISH SEA POWER
Press release
26 June 2007

*BSP shows in Lincs, Cambs, Wilts.
*Low-key concert slots preview Autumn LP.

British Sea Power are concentrating their summer touring activity on the renowned Lincs-Cambs-Wilts triangle.

BSP are confirmed for the following UK events.

Fri 20 July
Engine Shed, Lincoln University, Brayford Pool, Lincoln.
Tickets from the Engine Shed ticket office (Tel: 0871 4244555). Booking fee and postage charge applies.

Sat 1 Sept
LodeStar Festival, Sunnyridge Farm, Lode, near Cambridge.
Over-16s only.
Tickets at: kiosk4.ts.com/k?v=lodestar

Sun 16 Sept
End Of The Road Festival, Larmer Tree Gardens, Wiltshire
Tickets from: www.endoftheroadfestival.com

These apperances serve as advance heralds for the third BSP album - ‘Now That’s What I Call World War One Joy Division’ - which is scheduled for October.

BSP are currently working on a new merchandise range with Anya Hindmarch, originator of the revolutionary non-plastic ‘I’m Not A Plastic Bag’ bag. The Hindmarch/BSP range will include soap, an amphibious vehicle and a bag with the legible slogan ‘I’m Not An All-Metal Turboprop Airliner’.

I was relatively underwhelmed by their second album, so I await this one with cautious optimism.

I'm guessing the alleged album title is a gag, which is kind of a pity really...

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BSP were totally ace at the End of the Road festival last year. i was hoping to go along this year to the festival, but cos i slagged off Badly Drawn Boy, i think the organisers aint talking to me.
its a gorgeous location. quite idylic.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I didn't go a bundle on the second album either. When I saw them live at the time they were still doing that 15-minute version of Lately, which is a bit of a drag after you've seen it a few times. And they need to stop the bass player singing, though it feels like kicking a puppy to say so.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why do people at their shows always hold up tree branches, twigs etc?
Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BSP decorate the stage with them, and the fans follow suit.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really liked the second album. They should bring back Club Sea Power though.

Also, I'm glad they've got rid of the guy from Brakes. His "going into the crowd banging a big bass drum" thing almost gave me a panic attack once, although in fairness that might have been the mushrooms.

Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahaha. I like Eamon. He's ace.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He went to my school, which added to the overall, er, affect.
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love and believe in this band. I like both their albums equally. Their b-sides are often cracking, too. Check out 'The Smallest Church in Sussex' if you can find it anywhere.

The new album's been recorded in Montreal at the studio where all the Constellation Records stuff is done, which excites me if no-one else.

All that said, I've never much enjoyed them live. There's none of the creeping paranoia of 'Decline of...' stuff- it disappears beneath loads of celebratory bluster. The newer songs fare better but still lose a certain something. And much as I love 15 minute noise jams, I just don't think BSP are particularly good at them.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
chimes
Member # 3314

- posted      Profile for chimes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a relative newcomer to this lot, and am getting into them more and more. So far I think they're great. They seem to have started off quite rocky, and then gone somewhat arty, which I prefer. Is my synopsis correct?
Posts: 361 | From: Was North London - now South. Hmm. | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
BSP are currently working on a new merchandise range with Anya Hindmarch, originator of the revolutionary non-plastic ‘I’m Not A Plastic Bag’ bag. The Hindmarch/BSP range will include soap, an amphibious vehicle and a bag with the legible slogan ‘I’m Not An All-Metal Turboprop Airliner’.
Good gawd.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

That may also be their little joke.
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have said they've got less arty. The first album was all over the place: noisy Pixies-esque rackets, dreamy but paranoid pop and a 10 minute plus noise epic for good measure. Their second album consists of pop songs, even if they are pop songs about melting ice sheets, standing in fields and such like.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axel
Member # 724

- posted      Profile for axel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone here like The Brakes?
Posts: 923 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So have they relocated to Brighton? If so, that's an appropriate move. From the bucolic nightmare of Cumbria to the comely shores of the south coast, they bestride the entire country like a wide-stanced rock lighthouse. They should play a Brighton gig one night and a Seascale gig the next morning.

Anyway, I'm off to see them for the first time when they play Kendal later in the month.

[ 07.01.2008, 12:23: Message edited by: Major Eazy ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC