This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The return of British Sea Power (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The return of British Sea Power
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Relocated? BSP have always been Brighton-based. (Since anyone heard of them, anyway.)

They're playing a showcase gig at the Czech embassy next Monday.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I really like their first two albums, and I absolutely love Godspeed and pretty much everything that's been recorded at the Hotel 2 Tango. But this new album underwhelms me massively. Their eccentric nuances seemed to have been swept away in a great wave of Arcade Fire-esque euphoria.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Consults The Oracle, A.K.A. Wikipedia]

Ah. Whenever I see them mentioned in the press, it says they're from Kendal or Cumbria.

Listening to 'Waving Flags' is having a remarkable effect on me. You know when you were pre-pubescent and you saw a slightly salacious picture of a lady, say in a mail order catalogue or the pages of Jackie, and you had a 'funny feeling' downstairs that you couldn't explain, that made you feel nice but slightly worried you too, and that you weren't yet capable of transforming into proper desire? Well, that. In a good way.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The singer, his bass-playing brother and the drummer grew up in Kendal, but as a band they've always been Brighton-based, in that their early gigs/club nights were held there. Although they actually live in Lewes.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure? At least two of them lived in Kemptown (in Brighton) for ages.
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, er, admittedly this is based on a conversation that I think of as quite recent but was actually four and a half years ago now. Certainly when they moved to Sussex, they moved to Lewes.

Based on the five tracks I've illegally downloaded so far, Do You Like Rock Music? sounds a good deal more interesting than Open Season.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone considering blagging their way into the Czech Embassy gig ought to be told that I got it wrong: it's this Thursday.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It always takes me ages to get in to BSP albums, but hopefully by this time next year I can honestly say whether I like 'Do You Like Rock Music?' or not.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know where you can get tickets to the Czech Embassy show?
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Does anyone here like The Brakes?
Porcupine Or Pineapple from the last album is the best 66 seconds of punk rock ever recorded.

Much the rest of their stuff I could happily leave though.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

Ah, this is much more like it. Hamilton's come up with this mimsy but pleasant House Of Love-type reverbed thing, and someone's said, "Hmmm. What that needs is us shouting 'EASY! EASY!' all over it, like football hooligans." Works for me.

British Sea Power - No Lucifer

GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brakes, saw them supporting B&S on the Life Pursuit tour and bought their first album on the strength of their live shows.

Not something I play often, if ever, to be honest, but fun, I suppose.

BSP are a band I always think I'll like more than I do.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the basis of the track the horse hesentit it sounds like a stunning return to form to me.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'No Lucifer' is brilliant- the best thing on there by far. At once a thing of wonderful bombast and delicate beauty. Elsewhere, I rather feel the bombast and delicacy have welded together in an unremarkable mush.
Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

No Lucifer does seem to be the standout. He says, having listened to half the album twice.

FH, you know all about big instrumentals. What do you make of The Great Skua?

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC