This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The return of British Sea Power (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The return of British Sea Power
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brakes, 'Give Blood' is absolutely fantastic. It's nice that they found a use for The Electric Soft Parade.
Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my god, listening to the third BSP album now. It's so great I've got a tear in my eye.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Second listen last night and it all came together for me. Very impressed, reckon it's better than kindred spirits Interpol's offering from last year.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason I read that as 'tear' as in 'wear and tear'. I like the idea that you can enjoy music so intensely, it causes a rupture in your occular sac.

[Edit: And you can use that in the review, if you like.]

[ 10.01.2008, 09:23: Message edited by: Major Eazy ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice third outing from BSP.I thought the first one "Decline of" was shite but this one's like the second "Open Season" which I liked a lot, only a tweak even better.

Still reminds me of Kitchens of Distinction a heck of a lot, mind. Not that that's a bad thing.

Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Max Payne.
Member # 1428

- posted      Profile for Max Payne.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Best track, about a minute in, is Atom. That and "No Lucifer"
Posts: 958 | From: Exeter, NY | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Although I've only listened to Do You Like Rock Music? piecemeal, on my MP3 player as I traipse Lancaster's rain-mirror'd thoroughfares, I get the impression it's an album where a few classics stand proud from the unkempt rabble. Atom and No Lucifer, as mentioned, along with Waving Flags, are the ones that will occasion me to salute the band with silver birch aloft when they play the Brewery Arts later this month.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alexis Petridis is excited as well...
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And so he should be; this is a terrific album.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And for some reason Waving Flags reminds me of First of the Gang to Die, which is sort of funny.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

Wait until you've heard it played over countless montages of jubilant fans at Euro 2008, you might not like it so much then.
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

I tell you what, though, wouldn't British Sea Power have been the perfect band to write the official England football squad Euro 2008 song. And who knows - if we'd qualified, and Waving Flags had gone on to become a hit... perhaps the FA would have projected the silhouette of a cockerel into the night sky, just like the Bat signal.

In fact, if the mainland home nations had fared a little better in their qualifying campaigns, we could have had a dream BSP/Franz Ferdinand/Manics lit-rock triple-header of team anthems.

Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Still reminds me of Kitchens of Distinction a heck of a lot, mind

You're very wrong about 'Decline of...', but you're spot on here. Especially Noble's songs: his voice has got the same wistful, naive quality to it.

After three or four listens I stick by my original opinion of 'Do You Like Rock Music?'. I really, desperately want to love it but can only bring myself to like it. My least favourite of their three albums, though 'No Lucifer' gets better with every listen.

As for The Great Skua: I'm afraid, to me, it sounds like a band who normally have singing doing a song without singing. Thoroughly unremarkable. They've got an instrumental early b-side ('Salty Waters'?) that's incredible: sounds like Sigur Ros but not shit.

In fact, their b-sides are excellent. 'Moley and Me' and 'The Smallest Church in Sussex' should most certainly be investigated by all.

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In fact, if the mainland home nations had fared a little better in their qualifying campaigns, we could have had a dream BSP/Franz Ferdinand/Manics lit-rock triple-header of team anthems.
The essential and immutable thingness of things being what it is, we'd actually get The Kooks, The Fratellis and Feeder.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

Note to owners of small venues who are about to host a proper rock band for the first time: you might want to think about some kind of crash barrier system.

Just, y'know, on the offchance that a few people might start lurching around when the music gets exciting. It will likely save you the trouble of having to deploy security staff into the front row of the crowd, halfway through a song.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC