This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » The return of British Sea Power (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: The return of British Sea Power
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha, that post reminds me of a Viz 'Top Tip', Major.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good gig, Major?

(Wow, I felt like Basil Fawlty, asking that.)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, the best. I stupidly forgot to buy a ticket until they'd sold out and made a few frenzied posts on the Sea Power message board begging a spare, but fortunately, the Brewery Arts Centre being a refined kind of venue, punters with unwanted tickets were leaving them at reception and I was the lucky recipient of a return.

I don't know how big all the venues are on their current tour, but this was like watching them in the proverbial front room. The drawback to this urgent intimacy was that when the crowd started to get energetic, they were surging over the amps and onto the stage. Hamilton had to back right off the mic as bodies started flailing around riotously and it was halfway through Atom, I think, that three or four scowling brick shithouse types in black shirts waded into the front row (a gig broken up by blackshirts! How cool?). What the security boneheads failed to realise was that however strapping you are, you ain't gonna hold back the combined weight of thirty people lurching towards you. It's all a case of leverage and momentum, init? So within seconds, there was a security man flat on his back across the stage, underneath half a dozen punters. Eventually they did manage to adopt more sound positions, however, and once the band had played a couple of more tranquil numbers thing calmed down. Initially I was all for a bit of rabble rousing and slamming them down again at the next opportunity (how very dare they spoil our fun?) but in retrospect, the gig couldn't have continued with mike stands crashing into the band - especially as they'd already lost their drummer and had a keyboard player who'd been knocked unconscious in a 12ft fall onto a concrete floor just the night before.

A dangerous gig, last Thursday:

-

Go for it, Nobby!

-

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great picture, that last one.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
British Sea Power are on Jools Holland's show tonight, from 22:35.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Remember, children, Jools Holland kills music.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My feelings too, in general, but he has the odd decent thing on there. Can't stand the man, though.
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WornOldMotorbike
Member # 1569

- posted      Profile for WornOldMotorbike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other day, my kids were watching a DVD of old Popeye and Betty Boop cartoons from the 1930s. In one, Popeye's playing baseball, and the catcher signals the pitcher using those Wig Wag flags. I, of course, sit up and go "Those are Wig Wags...it's an old semaphore system" to generally blank stares.

(He says, hoping someone remembers SR's post about BSPs stage-adorning 'squares' flags of a few weeks back....)

Posts: 3858 | From: the head office of One Man's Opinion Corp. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nico Rijnders
Member # 930

- posted      Profile for Nico Rijnders     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Were they or Morrissey good enough on Later last night to justify me getting the whole thing off UKNOVA?
Posts: 1063 | From: Go Ahead, 1969. | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Just heard BSP on Dermot O'Leary's Radio 2 show, doing an acoustic session. They're awful interviewees (disappointingly monosyllabic), but the trumpet-led version of "Waving Flags" was lovely. Might be worth checking the Listen Again function anyway.
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I listened to their album a few days ago for the first time since the start of January and must admit that I didn't think it was nearly as good as I had remembered it.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They've made a natty little video for No Lucifer
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

By the way, I trust you all saw this?

-

Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is so great. I love the idea there's a kind of entryist thing going on and that all the country's media is being taken over by BSP fans.

It'd make a change from Doctor Who fans, if nothing else.

[ 25.03.2008, 21:08: Message edited by: Purves Grundy ]

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Indie fans and broadsheet subeditors are an enormously overlapping demographic. I'm surprised - and disappointed (with myself as much as anyone) - that headlines such as the above don't appear more often.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC