This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » "The Boat That I Row" by Lulu (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "The Boat That I Row" by Lulu
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Her version of Bowie's "Man Who Sold The World" is one of pop's less likely cover versions.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kuhisek
Member # 1762

- posted      Profile for kuhisek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor, which Buzzcocks song are you thinking of?

The bit where she goes "I'm saying these things so you know me bay-beee..." reminds me of "Don't wanna end up like no nine-day won-der..." from Love You More.

Posts: 944 | From: the gutter, staring at the tsars | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gerontophile
Member # 954

- posted      Profile for gerontophile     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Lulu: "To Sir With Love" is class (the only reason to watch the film)
Posts: 2278 | From: the nightflight to Venus | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adams house cat
Member # 228

- posted      Profile for adams house cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A fine, fine record and Lulu is one of the best pop singers Britain has produced.

Neil Diamomd also wrote 'I'm A Believer'. A great pop song and undoubtedly the Monkees finest hour.

Posts: 965 | From: Farmington NM | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
She's been pickled in olive oil and appears thrice nightly advertising Morrisons Tim.

'Love You More' definitely.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amor - if you only check out two Monkees tracks for Brill Building goodness, make them "Sometime In The Morning" and "The Porpoise Song" - pre and post psychedelic Goffin/King songs which are truly magnificent.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've mentioned this before, and I wish it was on youtube but if anyone doubts Lulu's vocal chops check out her performance of Drown in my Own Tears in Mike Figgis' Red, White and Blues. She isn't Etta James but she's as close as a Scottish lass has any right to be; if anything her voice is better than it was twenty years ago. Some enterprising producer should get her in the studio to do a selection of blues/soul standards, it'd surprise a lot of people.

Taylor: Will do, Sometime in the Morning, I'm familiar with, along with Pleasant Valley Sunday it's one of my favourite of the later Goffin/King songs, The Porpoise Song I've never heard.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a big fan of the Monkees as well, they had a very solid dozen hits that did age well.

Watch the movie "Head" for the Porpoise Song, it's quite good and a bit different from the rest of their repertoire, very psych, not unlike early Bee Gees/Status Quo (which were quite good) with a touch of the Zombies.

The video (and download) is available here:

http://www.selective-service.net/?p=138

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right here (just to make sure you don't get the crappy truncated version from the "Vanilla Sky" soundtrack):

The Monkees - The Porpoise Song

Arranged by Jack Nitzche, very much in the same style he used for Buffalo Springfield's "Expecting To Fly". The best thing The Monkees ever recorded by a very long way indeed.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

And yeah, the segment of "Head" that goes with it (Micky Dolenz leaping off a bridge, falling through the air in slow motion, then sinking into a river to be dragged away by psychedelic mermaids once he's drowned) is a complete jaw-dropper. It's right at the beginning, and when I first watched that movie as a teenage Monkee fan, I immediately rewound the tape and watched it three times before bothering with the rest of the film.

The clip is here - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJizIIs783Q

Listen to the track before you watch the clip though, because the sound quality is a bit ropey on the movie.

[ 20.12.2007, 20:36: Message edited by: Taylor ]

adams house cat
Member # 228

- posted      Profile for adams house cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amor, I remember seeing that performance of "Drown...", a startlimg performance. She should, indeed, get hooked up with a sympathetic producer (Betty Wright? Arif Mardin? Toussaint?) and show what she can do.
Posts: 965 | From: Farmington NM | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The best thing The Monkees ever recorded by a very long way indeed.
I can't agree with that. I mean I love a good dollop of 1967iana and the parallel UK and US psychedelia threads of a few years ago are probably my favourite otm threads ever. But that just sounds so lethargic. Give me I'm a Believer anyday.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adams house cat
Member # 228

What Purves said.
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Prompted by the detour this thread has made I've done a bit of idle googling and youtubing and it occurs to me that Mike Nesmith may well be the pop star I'd most like to spend an evening drinking with. I mean, I have no idea if he's teetotal or anything, but he just comes across as both thoughtful and entertaining which is a kind of difficult thing to pull off.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

Yeah, Nesmith's a fascinating character. He was writing great songs all through the Monkees, and half of them were never released because they had to make room for Davy Jones' sub-Broadway bollocks - but the fact that some of his early compositions stand out as highlights on LPs full of Brill Building songs is not to be sniffed at. As well as inventing MTV, he also invented country rock, which some people may not consider much of an achievement, but you have to admit it's hilarious. He was demoing stuff like "Sweet Young Thing" and "Papa Gene's Blues" in late 1965, when The Byrds were still jingle-jangling and Gram Parsons was in Harvard.

I got to meet The Monkees in the 90s, when they showed up briefly at the aftershow for one of their reunion shows (yes I got in free, no I probably wouldn't have paid). Unfortunately, if predictably, I didn't meet Nesmith because he was the one who decided to stay on the bus.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC