This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Greatest Song over 20 minutes in length (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Greatest Song over 20 minutes in length
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Echoes by Pink Floyd.

Nil thread.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Orbital - Out There Somewhere.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
wrong. and I've never even heard it.
Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck off. "2112" by Rush
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, fuck it, I like "Tubular Bells" as well.

Can't be anymore embarrasing than admitting to liking Pink Floyd

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2112 by Rush, ha ha ha! I used to listen to that when I was about 17 years old. I remember my fellow sixth-former Wingco coining the term "bombasto-sludge" in disbelieving disgust.
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitter Happier
Member # 172

- posted      Profile for Fitter Happier     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Basinski- Disintegration Loop*

An 8 second phrase repeated on tape loop for 40 minutes and 36 seconds. Doesn't sound much- but it's one of the most beautiful, harrowing and mind-expanding pieces of music I've ever heard.

For the first couple of minutes the phrase is strong enough to hold interest. But then I tend to lose focus, get a bit bored. 3 or 4 minutes later, however, and it's engrossing. Though the phrase never changes (save for the occasional wavering of the tape and the crackling of the disintegration) I always swear I hear a rogue note, a new instrument or a change of tempo. My mind plays tricks with me, new sounds pop out and old ones disappear. Never has Cage's quip that something boring becomes interesting if you try it for long enough been so true.

The phrase itself is mournfully gorgeous- which helps- but it's the way the tape disintegrates as it loops injects it with all kinds of pathos. It's a fairly direct metaphor for distant memories peeling away- an onomatapea for loss and regret.

It changed the way I hear music. It taught me to listen in a different way, greatly enhanced my enjoyment of a lot of music I already loved and has opened the door to a lot of music I'd never previously 'got'.

It is also the best piece of music ever to fall asleep to. Sometimes I put it on repeat all night and drift in and out of sleep with it on. Some of those nights have been the most pleasurable experiences of my life. Being only half-aware of reality and hearing it is a mesmerising experience.

Incredible.

*I'm not actually sure which one it is!

Posts: 2717 | From: her to eternity | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Natürlich.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The 7th Baron Bartok
Member # 959

- posted      Profile for The 7th Baron Bartok     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 12" disco remix of Jimmy Osmond's "I'll be your long haired lover from Liverpool"
Posts: 4840 | From: London | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah they had to cut that to 19 minutes at the request of the Kop who couldn't refrain from pissing in each others pockets for the full 20.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
adams house cat
Member # 228

- posted      Profile for adams house cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida" Baby!
Posts: 965 | From: Farmington NM | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That sounds interesting, FH. I might try to find it.

Back in the old tape player days, great holiday fun would be had by myself and friends creating a tape loop out of a cannibalised cassette. You can then record bits and pieces onto it, and if the optional covering of the tape erase head is performed, you could get some nice layers happening.

You could also use tape loops to thoroughly piss people off, by leaving one on and going out for a few hours.

Kids nowadays, it's all Sound Forge and Wii.

Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Godspeed YBE's Providence clocks in at over 29 minutes. I have 24, 28 and 38 minute live versions of the Velvet Underground doing Sister Ray.

I do like The Liars song This Dust Makes That Mud which is a touch over 30 minutes long.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rory Bunk
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Rory Bunk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyway, my nominees are Severed Heads' Gashing the Old Mae West (Marathon Mix) and Gavin Bryars' Jesus' Blood Never Failed Me Yet.
Posts: 972 | From: The Oort cloud | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Easy. Boredoms - Seadrum

Plus:

LCD Soundsystem - 45:33
Fela Kuti - Unknown Soldier; Coffin For Head Of State
This Heat - Repeat
The Harmony Rockets - Paralyzed Mind of the Archangel Void
Can - Yoo Doo Right
Brian Eno and Robert Fripp - Swastika Girls

Cheating a bit by including "composers", but:

'Poppy Nogood' by Terry Riley
'I Am Sitting In A Room' by Alvin Lucier
Everything I've heard by Eliane Radigue

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC