This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Stay Beautiful 2008 (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Stay Beautiful 2008
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I imagine you've considered the Candy Bar, given your contact(s) there?
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean Richard Smith?

I still haven't been there to check it out, anyway. I suspect it might not be quite right if it's too strict about the lesbian thing.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, right!
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
luring disco dollies to a life of vice…

Stay Beautiful

http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk
http://www.myspace.com/staybeautifulclub

WE PLAY: SLEAZY GLAM // HI-VOLTAGE ELECTRO // GLITTER ROCK // F UCKED UP DISCO // '77 PUNK // NEW WAVE // ALTERNATIVE ANTHEMS // POP TRASH

-
*THE PRISCILLAS ROCK STAY BEAUTIFUL!*
Alright Sheepshaggers. The next Stay Beautiful is SATURDAY 1st MARCH and our live band is going to rock your socks off. The first time we ever saw THE PRISCILLAS ( http://www.thepriscillas.com / http://www.myspace.com/thepriscillas ), sharing a bill with The 5678s at The Boston Arms, we were impressed. The second time we saw them, supporting The Cramps at The Astoria and damn near blowing them offstage, we knew we absolutely had to have them at Stay Beautiful one day. Finally, we've managed to make it happen. To give you some idea, if you haven't caught them already, North London's finest femme-rockers have been described as “gum-chewing, leather-clad bad girls” and “The Cramps, The Shangri-Las and the New York Dolls all rolled into one” among many other glowing tributes. But the bottom line is: The Priscillas ROCK.

-
*DYDD GWYL DEWI SANT HAPUS!*
As you may be aware, Saturday 1st March happens to be ST DAVID’S DAY. We're not going to go overboard on the Welsh theme, although you can expect daffodils, possibly a display of padlock-folding, and you can expect a higher-than-usual number of Manics songs (as well as a scattering of other Taffia stars from the Cool Cymru era and beyond). Oh, and Dinas Powys' most famous son, DAVID RYDER PRANGLEY - St David Of The Bleeding Heart himself - of Rachel Stamp/Witches fame ( http://www.myspace.com/davidryderprangleyandthewitches ) will be our guest DJ once again. Further details, including prize giveaway, coming soon, so watch this space...

*CHEAP BOOZE, FREE BOOZE!*
Drinks at the Purple Turtle are, you'll be glad to hear, served at pretty reasonable, pubby prices anyway (certainly compared to one or two of our previous homes). And, to set you on your way towards alcoholic oblivion, the Purple Turtle serves a special JESUS JUICE cocktail exclusively at Stay Beautiful - a delicious and potentially head-fvcking blend of vodka, Archers, cranberry, lemonade and fresh lime - at £8.50 per pitcher ALL NIGHT (a wide variety of other cocktails will be served at a tenner per pitcher). Furthermore, as aficionados of messy vodka-guzzling will be aware, Stay Beautiful has a somewhat notorious tradition called the WATERING CAN SONG...

*HELLO IT‘S US AGAIN, WE‘RE STILL SO IN LOVE WITH YOU...*
...and this month's Watering Can Song is “MASSES AGAINST THE CLASSES“ by MANIC STREET PREACHERS. So, when you hear that rising aaah-aaah-aaah intro, you know it‘s time to get wet!

*ADMISSION PRICES*
Regular admission is £7 (i.e. if you can‘t even be bothered to pick up a flyer, bring some sort of concessionary ID, or wear an SB badge). However, for very early birds, it's just £4 BEFORE 9.30pm, and if you come with a flyer (printable version: http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/eflyer.htm), NUS/DSS card or a Stay Beautiful badge, it's just £5 ALL NIGHT!

*WHERE IT'S AT*
Stay Beautiful's current home is the PURPLE TURTLE ( http://www.purpleturtlebar.com ), 61-65 Crowndale Rd NW1 (for directions and transport information, see our 'Info' page: http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/info.htm ), just 1 minute's walk from Mornington Crescent tube (and about 5 minutes from Camden Town.

*OPENING HOURS AND AGE POLICY*
Stay Beautiful opens at 9.00pm and closes at 3.00am. Please note that The Purple Turtle is an over-18s venue and ID MAY BE REQUIRED, so if you think you may look underage, please bring one of the following: an NUS card (with a credit card), a passport, or a driving license.

*FUTURE DATES*
Stay Beautiful happens on the FIRST SATURDAY of the month, so mark your diaries accordingly! (See http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/info.htm for full dates.)

If you haven't done so already, SIGN UP TO THE STAY BEAUTIFUL MAILING LIST: staybeautifulclub@hotmail.co.uk

See you there… and don’t forget: DRESS UP!

love and poison

Simon, Tony and Davina xxx

P.S. don't forget to check out our POLAROID gallery: www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/gallery.htm
...and our YOUTUBE page: www.youtube.com/profile?user=staybeautifulclub

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hissing fauna
Member # 7071

- posted      Profile for hissing fauna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
with regards to Brighton venues SR, the Engine Room is a bit of shithole and the bouncers can be cunts. I think maybe the Hanbury would be a good choice, or poss the Komedia (either floor), although it's not easy to do live stuff as part of a club there.
Posts: 206 | From: brighton is not 'london by the sea' | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

I can live without the live thing. It's enough of a headache booking the bands for the London one, without having to book 'em for Brighton too. A disco would be enough.
hissing fauna
Member # 7071

- posted      Profile for hissing fauna     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just noticed that Dynamite boogaloo are moving to Candy Bar, they're pretty mixed clientele wise, so maybe that could be an option.
Posts: 206 | From: brighton is not 'london by the sea' | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Stay Beautiful

WE PLAY: SLEAZY GLAM // HI-VOLTAGE ELECTRO // GLITTER ROCK // F UCKED UP DISCO // '77 PUNK // NEW WAVE // ALTERNATIVE ANTHEMS // POP TRASH

Event: Stay Beautiful’s St David’s Day Party
Venue: Purple Turtle, Camden Town
Date: Saturday 1st March, 2008

-

-

-

-

-

-

TURN AROUND, BRIGHT EYES… Ah man, who would have believed that “Total Eclipse Of The Heart” would provide one of the most unforgettable Stay Beautiful moments ever? But I’ll come to that in a bit.

Now, I’m not a patriotic man. At all. Last refuge of the scoundrel, as dear Oscar put it. But the coincidence of Stay Beautiful’s March date falling on St David’s Day was too tempting to resist. I mean, come on, it has flowers and dragons! How Staybeautifullesque do you want?

The DJ booth was decked out in the Welsh flag and an inflatable daffodil, and your hosts Simon (Welsh by birth) and Jenna (Welsh by impending marriage) were dressed in ethnic costume: respectively a coal miner (albeit a pretty camp one) and a Welsh Lady (albeit a rock’n’roll restyled version). And it wasn’t long before we were joined by four or five other Welsh Ladies: with all those stovepipe hats and lacy bibs, it felt like we’d either been teleported back to the Victorian age or stumbled into an Adult Baby convention.

Speaking of which, ‘cosplay’ was the order of the day for those who didn’t go down the Taff route: there were two birthday parties in the house, and they both agreed on a superhero/superheroine theme. SuperChloe’s cape was a glory to behold. We also had, for only the second time to our knowledge, a hen party in the house, but they behaved themselves impeccably (not an ‘L’ plate in sight).

From the start, I (Simon), Jenna and our guest, Dinas Powys‘ own David Ryder Prangley (aka St David Of The Bleeding Heart) threw in a lot more Welsh songs than usual, although it was a Mackem tune - “Classy” by Kenickie - which got the floor going (which was nice, because the artist formerly known as Emmy-Kate Montrose was there to see it happen) after which there was no looking back.

The Priscillas - who absolutely ROCKED, by the way, with their Carrie Nations meets The Runaways thing - very thoughtfully made concessions to the Welsh theme with a two-minute intro mix (from Shirley to The Alarm!) and daffodils thrown into the crowd, even if North American singer Jenny Drag couldn’t decide whether the saint we were honouring was St George or St Anus…

The Watering Can Song - “Masses Against The Classes” with my miners’ lamp on full beam - was fun, but the other giveaway was even better: Jenna, Sam, Amanda and a couple of other Welsh Ladies got up onstage and handed out £20’s worth of daffodils (apologies to any other Brighton & Hove residents who couldn’t get any!), for a fantastic Polaroid pose, and subsequently a very floral display of arm-threshing to “This Charming Man”.

I also periodically threw inflatable sheep, their names etched on the side in marker pen (‘Duffy’, ’Cerys’, ‘Shirley’, ‘Charlotte’) into the baying mob. I do hope you treated them gently, shared them around, and wiped them clean after use.

Along with a ridiculous number of Manics songs, we played The Velvet Underground (John Cale being the excuse), Catatonia, Rachel Stamp, Charlotte Church, Electrovamp, Tom Jones, Super Furry Animals, Shirley Bassey, all the greats. The more the night wore on, the stronger my accent got (which often happens when I’m drunk anyway), and by the time I introduced “Fade To Grey” by valleys legend Steve Strange and his Visage, it was the full Ruth Madoc.

But the most extraordinary reaction of all was sparked by a very unlikely song. There comes a time in any night of excessive drinking when you’re in the mood for a power ballad, and on this occasion I chose the moment perfectly. “Total Eclipse Of The Heart” by Swansea’s chicken-resembling chanteuse Bonnie Tyler caused astonishing scenes of fist-clenching, emotional face-pulling, whole-hearted screaming, and group hugs. I’ll never forget it as long as I live. I can still picture you all now: “EEEVERY NOW AND THEN I FALL APAAART!”

At the end, something shocking and unprecedented happened. Due to a CD-burning error, for the first time ever we didn’t have the song which the club was named after. I apologised and owned up, and rather than my usual words “This is ’Stay Beautiful’, goodnight…”, finished the night with a different Manics song (“Faster”, a choice which went down a storm I must say). But will this break with tradition cause some terrible apocalyptic catastrophe, like the ravens leaving the Tower Of London? I fear, like the chief Vitalstatistix in the Asterix books, that the sky may fall on our heads. Let’s hope I’m wrong.

Which with no further ado, apart from reminding you that you can see photos at http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/gallery.htm (major thanks to Mark Cooper and Alexandra Paynter for letting us borrow their digital pics) and video clips at http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=staybeautifulclub, and that the next Stay Beautiful is on Saturday 5th April (the theme is THERE IS NO THEME!), brings us to what we actually played:

SIMON PRICE (9.00-9.30)
Bryn Terfel & Choir – “Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau (Welsh National Anthem)”
Shirley Bassey – “Goldfinger”
Manic Street Preachers – “Motorcycle Emptiness (Stealth Sonic Orchestra)”
Interpol – “Obstacle 1 (Arthur Baker Loud Vocal mix)”
The Long Blondes – “Century”
Matinee Club – “Discotheque Francais”
Catatonia – “I Am The Mob”
----------------------------
JENNA (9.30-10.15)
T. Rex – Dreamy Lady
The Shangri-La’s – “Leader Of The Pack”
Joy Division – “Transmission”
Ladytron – “Fighting In Built Up Areas”
The Runaways – “Cherry Bomb”
Time Zone – “World Destruction”
Strawberry Switchblade – “Since Yesterday”
Soft Cell – “Bedsitter”
Fancy – “Dressed To Kill”
Rachel Stamp – “Do Me In Once And I'll Be Sad”
Girls Aloud – “Something Kinda Ooooh”
SIMON PRICE (10.15-11.00)
Electrovamp – “I Don’t Like The Vibe In The VIP”
Manic Street Preachers – “PCP”
Charlotte Church – “Crazy Chick”
The Velvet Underground - ”I’m Waiting For The Man”
David Bowie – “Modern Love”
The Smiths – “Sheila Take A Bow” (for Chloe)
Robyn – “Konichiwa Bitches”
Patti Smith – “Rock’n’Roll Nigger”
Super Furry Animals – “God! Show Me Magic”
Kenickie – “Classy”
Manic Street Preachers – “Revol”
T. Rex – “Solid Gold Easy Action”
New York Dolls – “Trash”
Peaches with Iggy Pop - “Kick It”
The Stray Cats – “Runaway Boys”
The Cramps – “Can Your Pussy Do The Dog?”
Suzi Quatro – “Devil Gate Drive”
THE PRISCILLAS (11.00-11.30)
(live onstage)
SIMON PRICE (11.30-12.30)
Shirley Bassey – “Get This Party Started”
Manic Street Preachers – “A Design For Life” (Daffodil-giving song)
The Smiths – “This Charming Man”
The Cure – “Just Like Heaven”
Adam And The Ants – “Antmusic”
The Dresden Dolls – “Girl Anachronism”
Gwen Stefani – “What You Waiting For”
Manic Street Preachers – “Masses Against The Classes” (Watering Can Song)
David Bowie – “Rebel Rebel (Soulwax mix)”
Tom Jones with The Cardigans – “Burning Down The House”
The Ting Tings – “That’s Not My Name”
Britney Spears – “Gimme More”
Placebo – “Nancy Boy (Sex Mix)”
Rachel Stamp – “Brand New Toy”
DAVID RYDER PRANGLEY (12.30-1.30)
Songs included…
T. Rex - “20th Century Boy”
Nirvana - “Breed”
Kiss - “I Was Made For Loving You”
Mud - “Tiger Feet”
Duran Duran - “Notorious”
Blondie - “Hanging On The Telephone”
The Sweet - “Ballroom Blitz”
Head Automatica - “Beating Heart Baby”
Hole - “Violet”
Fleetwood Mac - “Rhiannon”
Prince - “Kiss”
T. Rex - “Children Of The Revolution”
Toni Basil - “Mickey“
Joan Jett - “AC/DC“
SIMON PRICE (1.30-3.00)
Bonnie Tyler – “Total Eclipse Of The Heart”
Marilyn Manson – “mOBSCENE”
Shirley Bassey – “Hey Big Spender”
Manic Street Preachers – “Umbrella”
Robots In Disguise – “Turn It Up”
Shiny Toy Guns – “Le Disko”
Peaches – “Boys Wanna Be Her (Tommy Sunshine mix)”
Gary Glitter – “I Didn’t Know I Loved You Till I Saw You Rock’N’Roll”
Rachel Stevens – “Some Girls”
Goldfrapp – “Strict Machine (Paris Loaded mix)”
Nancy Sinatra – “These Boots Were Made For Walking”
Patrick MacNee and Honor Blackman – “Kinky Boots”
Le Tigre – “Deceptacon”
Placebo – “Daddy Cool”
Suede - “Trash”
Manic Street Preachers – “You Love Us (Heavenly 12 inch)”
Iggy Pop – “Lust For Life”
The Pipettes - “Pull Shapes”
Roxy Music – “Virginia Plain”
Visage – “Fade To Grey”
Ladytron – “Destroy Everything You Touch”
Manic Street Preachers with Nina Persson - “Your Love Alone Is Not Enough”
Pulp - “Babies”
Hole - “Celebrity Skin”
Manic Street Preachers - “Faster”
(The Muppets - “Mah Nah Mah Nah”)

Films shown: Sid & Nancy, Manic Street Preachers ‘The Holy Bible’, Manic Street Preachers ‘Forever Delayed’, Russ Meyer’s ‘Up!‘

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Coming soon to a flyer rack near you...

-

Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Whoa!

That's pretty horrible.
His pubes are hanging over his Speedos.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's You Are The Ref right? He must have been pissed.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Just be thankful it wasn't Tony recreating the pose. If the idea had occurred to him, there'd be no stopping him.
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You should start leaving copies of Houses of the Holy lying round his flat casually as a hint.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Stay Beautiful

*NEXT STAY BEAUTIFUL: SATURDAY 5th APRIL*
Listen up, beautiful dance whores. The next Stay Beautiful is on SATURDAY 5th APRIL, and for the first time in perhaps too long, THERE IS NO THEME. Instead, it'll be 'just' a regular Stay Beautiful, which - as you already know - means fantastic music from your resident (and guest) DJs, an excellent live band, a Watering Can Song, a gorgeous crowd dressed to kill, and a whole lotta drunken fun. Now read on for details...

-

*SHE'S GOT SAVOIR FAIRE, YEAH YEAH*
HELOISE AND THE SAVOIR FAIRE ( http://www.heloisemusic.com / http://www.myspace.com/heloiseandthesavoirfaire ) are one of the hottest things in New York City right now. And if you don't wanna take out word for it, how about DEBBIE HARRY, who has named them as her favourite new band (and even provides guest vocals on two of their tracks), or Hobbit-boy himself, ELIJAH WOOD, who has signed them to his new Simian Records label. Described by Disorder Magazine as a "great big flying disco ball swerving through a relentless shower of pink glitter and synth-lasers", and by themselves as "an electrified collision of late-70s disco-infused dance punk and 80s synth-pop", they could barely be more Stay Beautiful-friendly if they tried. (For another, probably hopelessly inadequate comparison, think Fischerspooner meets Blondie meets Minty meets Pet Shop Boys.) They come to us fresh from the SXSW festival, and will also be appearing on THE FRIDAY NIGHT PROJECT while they're here. (Sadly it's the Friday after SB, not before, but if you wanna get an idea of what to expect, check out their previous appearance on THE GRAHAM NORTON SHOW: http://youtube.com/watch?v=pDSkH3JsLlA ). This rare UK performance is gonna be one of those Stay Beautiful shows which is talked about for a long time afterwards, and you'd be a fool to miss it...

-
*GUEST DJ: CHARLOTTE HATHERLEY!*
Our guest DJ this month is none other than CHARLOTTE HATHERLEY ( http://www.charlottehatherley.com / http://www.myspace.com/charlottehatherleyofficial ). Everyone knows who Charlotte Hatherley is, right? Drafted into ASH in 1997 as an auxiliary guitarist (and rapidly becoming an indie pin-up goddess by accident), she spent a decade with the Northern Irish band before embarking on a solo career. She's released two acclaimed albums under her own name, and she's currently in the middle of a residency at Bar Academy in Islington, playing the last Sunday of the month from now until June. If you haven't heard any of her solo material, shame on you: check out the power-pop classic "Kim Wilde" on her Myspace for starters. We've seen Charlotte DJing before, and she rocks like a bastardo. That's all you need to know. Oh, and she also happens to have been playing in BRYAN FERRY's live band lately, which in a roundabout way brings us onto this month's prize giveaway...

-
*WIN EXCLUSIVE ‘FLASHBACKS OF A FOOL’ FILM PRIZES!*
Starring Daniel "James Bond" Craig and Keeley "Ashes To Ashes" Hawes among others, FLASHBACKS OF A FOOL ( [url=http://www.flashbacks movie.co.uk]http://www.flashbacksmovie.co.uk[/url] ) opens in British cinemas on 18th April. Focusing on a washed-up Hollywood star looking back on the days of his youth in 1970's England, it moves to the beat of a fantastic soundtrack featuring some prime ROXY MUSIC as well as the likes of David Bowie, Scott Walker etc. To celebrate the film's release, we're going to be giving away some exclusive Flashbacks movie memorabilia and all you need to do to win is answer a simple Roxy-related question... so listen out on the night!

*CHEAP BOOZE, FREE BOOZE!*
Drinks at the Purple Turtle are, you'll be glad to hear, served at pretty reasonable, pubby prices anyway (certainly compared to one or two of our previous homes). And, to set you on your way towards alcoholic oblivion, the Purple Turtle serves a special JESUS JUICE cocktail exclusively at Stay Beautiful - a delicious and potentially head-fvcking blend of vodka, Archers, cranberry, lemonade and fresh lime - at £8.50 per pitcher ALL NIGHT (a wide variety of other cocktails will be served at a tenner per pitcher). Furthermore, as aficionados of messy vodka-guzzling will be aware, Stay Beautiful has a somewhat notorious tradition called the WATERING CAN SONG...

-
*OH, YOUR HAIR IS BEAUTIFUL!*
...and this month's Watering Can Song is "ATOMIC" by BLONDIE. So, when you hear that pulsating disco beat and that heroic guitar riff, you know it's time to get wet!

*ADMISSION PRICES*
Regular admission is £7 (i.e. if you can‘t even be bothered to pick up a flyer, bring some sort of concessionary ID, or wear an SB badge). However, for very early birds, it's just £4 BEFORE 9.30pm, and if you come with a flyer (printable version: http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/eflyer.htm), NUS/DSS card or a Stay Beautiful badge, it's just £5 ALL NIGHT!

*WHERE IT'S AT*
Stay Beautiful's current home is the PURPLE TURTLE ( http://www.purpleturtlebar.com ), 61-65 Crowndale Rd NW1 (for directions and transport information, see our 'Info' page: http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/info.htm[/URL] ), just 1 minute's walk from Mornington Crescent tube (and about 5 minutes from Camden Town.

*OPENING HOURS AND AGE POLICY*
Stay Beautiful opens at 9.00pm and closes at 3.00am. Please note that The Purple Turtle is an over-18s venue and ID MAY BE REQUIRED, so if you think you may look underage, please bring one of the following: an NUS card (with a credit card), a passport, or a driving license.

*FUTURE DATES*
Stay Beautiful happens on the FIRST SATURDAY of the month, so mark your diaries accordingly! (See http://www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/info.htm for full dates.)

If you haven't done so already, SIGN UP TO THE STAY BEAUTIFUL MAILING LIST: staybeautifulclub@hotmail.co.uk

See you there… and don’t forget: DRESS UP!

love and poison

Simon, Tony and Davina xxx

P.S. don't forget to check out our POLAROID gallery: www.staybeautifulclub.co.uk/gallery.htm
...and our YOUTUBE page: www.youtube.com/profile?user=staybeautifulclub

[ 25.03.2008, 17:07: Message edited by: Spearmint Rhino ]

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC