This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Acts we all like (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  15  16  17   
Author Topic: Acts we all like
Mighty Mudhsuden
Member # 1072

- posted      Profile for Mighty Mudhsuden     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm yet to meet anyone who doesn't like Hakan Hellstrom.
Posts: 2061 | From: Hackensack... is that all you get for your money? | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am astounded that anyone could dislike Crowded House.

I am astounded that anyone could like Abba.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's just insane, and it makes me wonder why you like Crowded House in the first place. Because the reasons for liking both bands (great melancholy, autumnal, poignant pop melodies) overlap hugely.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am astounded that anyone could dislike Crowded House.

I am astounded that anyone could like Abba.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's just the maddest , wrongest thing I've ever read and I've read 'Mein Kampf'.
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not sure what Robert Sledge and the other fellow out of Ben Folds Five have done, Harry, but after going solo, Folds dropped a lot of the BFF shtick, and certainly the Revolution 9-esque experimentation.

Can you imagine BFF doing "The Luckiest" (which in my book is one of the mightiest love songs ever written)?

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to bow to your impressive knowledge base on this one, Spearmint Rhino, 'cause:

great melancholy, autumnal, poignant pop melodies

is not a statement my (admittedly) limited exposure to Abba convinces me of.

I guess I've always considered Abba to be some sort of twee icon whose ode to whimsy felt somewhat trivial.

Tell me about the melancholy and I might be persuaded to give 'em another go.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

That's just the maddest , wrongest thing I've ever read and I've read 'Mein Kampf'.

Charming…

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tell me about the melancholy and I might be persuaded to give 'em another go.
Alright, listen to "Name Of The Game", "Knowing Me, Knowing You", "The Day Before You Came", just for starters. All songs that Neil Finn would be proud to have written (and I bet he'd say so, if you asked him).

Then you've got all the killer disco stuff: "Voulez Vous", "Gimme Gimme Gimme (A Man After Midnight)", "Dancing Queen"...

And so much more amazing stuff that I don't know where to go next. I mean, I can't believe I've found myself sitting here defending Abba. Their greatness is so self-evident it oughtn't be necessary. Andersson & Ulvaeus are geniuses, who bossed the 70s as much as Lennon & McCartney (for better or worse) bossed the 60s.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All bands are shit. To somebody.

As for Bowie, can't be arsed anymore, you all know my feelings. Doesn't matter. Maybe it iss just me after all.

Anyway The Ronettes. The Isley Brothers. Altered Images. Strawberry Switchblade. My Bloody Valentine. Belle and Sebastian.

Again.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GIK
Member # 40

- posted      Profile for GIK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Abba. Jesus.

Great post by Rhino.

Posts: 5389 | From: Cheshire with Love | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

SR - cool dude. I'm gonna give those (first) tracks a go on the cans tomorrow at work.
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You don't have to dig very far: Dancing Queen and SOS are two of their biggest hits and are miles from twee. Melancholy poignancy to burn.

Crowded House are Abba with the power off.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
veto for Prince.

We're just going to be left with Blondie here. Which is fair enough.

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Blimey. We've got a Prince-denier. That's up there with Irving.
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is Prince-denier? Something pretty sheer, I should imagine.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 17 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  ...  15  16  17   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC