This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Anyone ever been to a silent disco?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Anyone ever been to a silent disco?
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm quite tempted by this, just out of sheer curiosity:

quote:
The Point Presents:
The Point Presents Silent Disco bt SilentArena

Discos and silence were never good bedfellows. This was primarily for the reason that dancing to the beat was quite tricky when you had to imagine the beat. Now, Silent Arena have solved that problem and The Point are really quite excited to present their Silent Disco.

Here’s how it works:

Upon entry, each reveller is handed a set of headphones. These headphones have a special button, enabling each person to switch between two sets of transmissions. On stage, a posse of DJs will be playing on two separate record decks. Flick between the two channels and you’ll hear different DJs, different tunes. Look around and you’ll see people dancing in bafflingly odd, disconnected ways. Occasional random cheers, singsongs and maybe even dance routines will break out across the dancefloor. Take the headphones off and all you’ll hear is the stomp of dancing feet. A strange, funny and unforgettable experience.

Doors: 09:00 pm

Buy tickets (£7adv)

More details: http://www.silentarena.co.uk/
Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I think it's a good idea and I was tempted too. I like the Point as venue as well.

However, hearing that one DJ is going to be playing indie-rock (which could be good or bad, but my expectations aren't high) and the other is going to be playing cheese (the Grease mega-mix was mentioned as an example) has cooled my jets.

[ 06.03.2008, 13:29: Message edited by: Etienne ]

Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've DJed at a f... oh.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you see i have a problem with this.
dancing is often about feeling the bassline in yer gut something that even the best headphones aint going to manage.
personally i'm hanging in there for ricardo villalobos's idea of the silent club where the soundwaves are counteracted by some techno gubbins so that people outside the perimeter of the speakers cant hear the music.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
You Are The Ref
Member # 76

- posted      Profile for You Are The Ref     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds well shitbox.
Posts: 1891 | From: Saddam Hussein's secret stockpile of white ladies wrists | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mark e, we already have that in Lancaster. It's called a 'building'.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ho ho.
i have tried to find ricardos idea in an online interview, but so far cant.
it goes beyond that simplistic description i gave earlier.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That Villalobos idea was demonstrated on Tomorrow's World. There's some sort of ultrasound transmission through a pinhole. If you're out of its range, you can't hear it.
Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen what I suspect is the tech being described here. It's pretty impressive, but, as you might guess, you don't "not hear" the music from the perimeter so much as hear it significantly more quietly.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC