This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Oh look, there's a rape machine... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Oh look, there's a rape machine...
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, I went to see the Nume last night, at the Brighton Dome. And I have to say it was superb.

I'd steeled myself for the worst, namely grotesque industrial rock reworkings of his classic hits (which is how it's been on the other two occasions that I've seen him), and I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't really like that for this performance of Tubeway Army's Replicas, and more of a halfway compromise between that and the synthetic elegance of the originals.

His body language is still way too 'rock' for my liking, though. I don't want to see him strutting around and pulling hero poses. I want to see him frozen still in the middle of a red neon pyramid looking freaked-out and alienated.

You know, I've been thinking that NOW is the time to be listening to Replicas more than 1979. In '79 it was a work of future-shock dystopianism, but a quarter of a century later we're living in that future, and the themes of surveillance and paranoia are more relevant than ever. The double-disc reissue is timely.

I was disappointed that for the live show he chose to ditch the album's running order, and went for the cliched showbiz build-up to The Big Hit. Partly because I didn't really grow up with Replicas and I don't know the songs inside out. Just "Down In The Park" and "Me I Disconnect From You" and The Obvious One. So I kept finding myself glancing at my watch and wondering "How many more songs can he possibly have which are not 'Are Friends Electric?'?" Good as those songs were, like.

And when it came, "Are 'Friends' Electric?" was ruined, I reckon. The Nume opts for a big stadium rock, audience participation version with football chants of "whoah-oh, whoah-oh!" that drown out the synth melody, which is completely at odds with the ultra-alienated spirit of the original.

The encore of "Cars" was stunning, though, even if it was slightly spoiled by the Numanoid next to me who insisted on doing massive Mr Motivator overhead handclaps throughout.

Fuck me, Gary Numan fans are a bunch of socially-inadequate fucking nerds, aren't they? I guess it's inevitable that he 'speaks' to those people, given the viewpoint of his lyrics, and I know it's a bit rich coming from someone who spent the 80s as a Smiths fan and the 90s as a Manics fan, but still.

Anyway, it's always nice to have an opportunity to shout "OH LOOK, THERE'S A RAPE MACHINE" in the company of a couple of thousand other people. Even if I did keep getting the real deal mixed up with the pisstake, and expecting the Gary Le Strange lyrics instead: "Oh look, there's JG Ballard in a burnt-out fridge with a Spitfire pilot/Took so much smack I nearly married a car..."

[ 13.03.2008, 09:12: Message edited by: Spearmint Rhino ]

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Fuck me, Gary Numan fans are a bunch of socially-inadequate fucking nerds, aren't they? I guess it's inevitable that he 'speaks' to those people, given the viewpoint of his lyrics, and I know it's a bit rich coming from someone who spent the 80s as a Smiths fan and the 90s as a Manics fan, but still.
Yo!

So - not going to the IndigO2 do on Saturday, SR?

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, once is enough.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think some of the real obsessives are nerds big time. The ones that still dress like late 70's / early 80's Numan are particularly amusing ad middle age spread moves in!!

Problem is that group of nerd-fans exist with so many different artists when they obsess on them. Smiths and Morrissey fans are 'mea culpa' more than most in that particular respect....

Numan has kept progressing and producing new music and good luck to him for doing so. I'd hate to see him on one of those 80's Hits Tours that so many others go on as then it's really over and you are no more than a cabaret act.

I like a lot of the real metalled out black rock stuff of the last few years as it suits him, has got him new fans and he seems to have reverted to a fully functioning, sense of humour, human being with it.

As for the football chant thing on 'Are Friends Electric'. Been going on since the mid-80's from the times I have seen him.

Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

To quote the Specials, it doesn't make it alright.
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Also, I don't want Gary Numan to be a fully functioning, sense of humour, human being. I want him to be Gary Numan!

I remember something Super Sharp Shooter wrote about seeing Prince and being amazed that he actually exists in the flesh, because in his mind Prince occupies the same kind of status as Spiderman. That's kind of how I felt seeing Gary Numan.

Also, when he brought his little daughters up on stage at the end, I thought "Gary Numan isn't allowed to have children, and if he has them, they should at least have wires coming out of them."

My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To quote Whitney Houston, it's not right but it's OK.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Too true but was just clarifying it seems to have pre-dated the move into Numans 'rock act' stage. The last couple of times I've seen John Foxx play have been a bit odd, as he seems to be followed around by some real Numanoid wankers who seem to think they have a role as lord chief protectors to the man himself and spend the entire Foxx gig chanting "Numan, Numan, Numan" between the songs. Retards.

In fact the number of gigs I have seen fucked up by other audience members is fairly extraordinary really. I ended up in a fight with some real dickheads next to me at a Television gig a few years back who spent the entire concert shouting 'Dire Straits' for no reason I could work out. Weird. Seeing the 'Blue Nile' someone was on their mobile for 45 mins behind me having an argument with their girlfridn.....seeing 'Iggy Pop' at what was the T&C someone shouted repeatedly 'C*nt' at Pop for the whole gig..well until he decided to come and see for himself who it was (we all pointed him out repeatedly) and then it was all a bit bloody but kinda fun...

And so it goes on....the world is full of tossers.

Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't fucking believe I'm going to miss this tour as well as Telekon. Gutted. Double gutted.

The Nume has the most rockstar named kids of all time though!

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

Ooh no! Daughters on stage. Nope! Not allowed. That's very footballer. Should be in bed anyway at that age (I am 103 and a right grumpy old sod!!).
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

Echo, Raven and...er...moon unit..er no..hang on...
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Persia . . .
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a night off last monday and he was playing just down the road but didn't bother going in the end.Saw him about 5 years ago and he was quite good.
Partridge's Music For Chameleons air-bass has killed it a bit for me, plus the venue was too small for his silly little car to be wheeled out.
I would have died laughing.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep - the daughters on stage routine is awful. I hope he doesn't do it at the London date. Thomas Dolby just about got away with it, but only because he actually got one of his daughters - a teen-boffin in her own right - then joined him for one of the songs.

He's not running for the American presidential elections, FFS! God, I hate that stuff.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Hegley has his grown-up son, or possibly nephew, accompany him on guitar sometimes. That works. But is perhaps a slightly different case.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC