This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Perfect classical (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Perfect classical
smallweed
Member # 1692

- posted      Profile for smallweed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beethoven's violin concerto
R Strauss Four Last Songs
second act of Tristan & Isolde

Posts: 1606 | From: John McGlynn's bouncy army | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chopin's "Nocturnes", wonderful piano fugues galore.
Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copland - Appalachian Spring.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm trying to think of things that are not just incredibly powerful (in various ways - there's a power in quiet simplicity just as there is in the overwhelming blast) but - as Wyatt identified in the opening post - couldn't be any other way without being diminished. And I think Wyatt was very much on the right lines with the St Matthew passion. Bach's very much the man for this - there's an inevitability about his greatest works which transcends the formulaic. There are surprises and unexpected turns all at the same time as the music feels just right.

If I were to nominate just one example of his work that has this quality in suberabundance it'd be the 'cello suites.

A number of posters have been a bit sheepish about nominating familiar pieces, but there're really no need - often (not always, I'll grant), a piece is well known because of its merits. So I'll add a few to the list, popular, some of them, but nevertheless utterly masterful, completely achieving everything the composer intended and more. And for which it's impossible to imagine any alteration being an improvement.

Satie Gymnopédies
Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme of Thomas Tallis
Beethoven Symphony No. 9; the Late String Quartets
Fauré Requiem
Tippett Concerto for Double String Orchestra

[edit: spelling "improvement" properly would be an improvement]

[ 18.03.2008, 13:48: Message edited by: Andy C ]

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of VW: Lark Ascending.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Seconded for the Vaughan Williams/Thomas Tallis, Andy. And the Requiem. Ooh, and the late String Quartets, And the Satie. I'd like to be able to say the Tippett concerto is a load of shite, just so as not to seem like a kiss ass, but I haven't heard it.

Also

Bartok: Music for strings, percussion & Celesta (and his string quartets, esp 3 &4)
Pierre Schaeffer: Orphee
Stockhausen: Kontakte/Hymnen
Boulez: Le Marteau Sans Maitre
James Galway: Annie's Song (it would be remiss not to include one of our up and coming young flautists)

Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tragically, I think you'd love the Tippett, wingco. I'll make you a copy - PM me if you'd like me to post it or you can wait until our paths cross once again.

And I'll second the Bartok (I've got the Emerson Quartet playing the complete quartets somewhere, and I'll certainly be digging that out when I get home - thanks for the prompting), Stockhausen and Boulez. I don't know the Schaeffer.

There was nothing on here when Stockhausen died, was there? I was out of the country when it happened and I only heard the news about six weeks ago.

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, there was a thread about Stockhausen I'm sure.
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

So there was. How on earth did I miss that?
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO Beethoven's Violin Concerto would be the top of this particular pile with honourable mentions going to:

Lots more Beethoven, but especially the 5th Symphony
Strauss - Blue Danube
Wagner - Overture to Tannhauser
Piazzolla - Fuga y Misterio
Sibelius - Andante Festivo
Bach - Prelude and Fugue in C Major, BWV 846
Borodin - String Quartet no. 2 in D major
Ysaye - Violin Sonatas

[ 21.03.2008, 21:20: Message edited by: statto99 ]

Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

- posted      Profile for statto99     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the way, Classic FM have just finished day one of their annual four day Easter countdown through their listeners' favourite 300 pieces. They start again at 9am Saturday morning and go through to Monday night. Definitely worth dipping into.
Posts: 6605 | From: the Mission Bell to the Deep Blue Sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
statto99
Member # 82

And here's this year's Classic FM listener top 10:

1 (1) Vaughan Williams: The Lark Ascending
2 (3) Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2
3 (10) Vaughan Williams: Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis
4 (5) Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 'Emperor'
5 (8) Beethoven:Symphony No. 6 'Pastoral'
6 (4) Mozart: Clarinet Concerto
7 (2) Elgar: Cello Concerto
8 (7) Bruch: Violin Concerto No. 1
9 (6) Elgar: Enigma Variations
10 (9) Beethoven: Symphony No. 9 'Choral'

http://www.classicfm.co.uk/sectional.asp?id=9443

Alania Vladikavkaz Satie
Member # 1570

- posted      Profile for Alania Vladikavkaz Satie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Im a Satie man myself like.
Posts: 1754 | From: The Magic Carpet. | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC