This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Is there a more annoying band name in existence than . . . (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is there a more annoying band name in existence than . . .
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
One of my favourite bands hails from Austin, and they're blessed with an excellent name: Knife in the Water.
No, that's shit. It's the name of an early Roman Polanski film, and band names taken directly from films, books or other people's song titles are automatically shit.

Only thing worse is band names taken from fucking Ricky Gervais quotes.

Good names:
Roxy Music
The Jesus & Mary Chain
American Spring
Big Star
The Who
Buffalo Springfield
The Upsetters
Sex Pistols
The Mothers
The Teardrop Explodes
Niggers With Attitude
The Clash
Orange Juice
The White Stripes
The United States Of America
Neu!
The London Suede

Bad names:
The Beatles
Radiohead
The Cocteau Twins
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Manic Street Preachers
The Stone Roses
The Field Mice
Public Image Limited
Scouting For Girls
The Mighty Lemon Drops
INXS
The Jam
The Style Council
Sugababes
Josef K
A-ha
The Band
Suede

I always thought the ultimate name for a heavy metal band was Barabbas. I was keeping that one under wraps, just in case. Imagine my surprise, when watching "24 Hour Party People", to hear John Simm's Bernard Sumner announce that the worst band name he'd ever heard was "Barabbas - fuckin' Barabbas!" Ironic, coming from a character whose own group was called New Order (simultaneously boring and mildly offensive), played by an actor who spent ten years in a band called Magic Alex. The cheek.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good lists, but I reckon Public Image Limited and The Cocteau Twins are pretty good names.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell, Dave Mustaine has converted to Christianity? That's hilarious. I always knew he was a knob but that seals it.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Other great band names:

the Dream Academy
The Dismemberment Plan
Dead Kennedys
Dead German Tourists (Florida punk band)
About half of the late 60s psych bands (13th Floor Elevators, Plastic Cloud, Chocolate Watchband,...)

BAD:
Dead Can Dance
Men Without Hats

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I left out Dead Kennedys, that's brilliant.

But The Dream Academy??? Jesus man, that's one of the worst names I've ever heard in my life.

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tigertailz. I know nothing about them, but their name gets on my tits. Why don't you chuck a couple of Y's in as well, you mongs?
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No mention of Black Rebel Motorcycle Club?
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But The Dream Academy???
I don't know Taylor, maybe it's the font and graphics on their album cover, that looked quite good AFAIAC. I remember at the time buying the album purely based on that cover (a bit of a letdown there.)

Good graphics are part of the quality of the name, just like brand logos. Consider Kak, for example (great 60s band from San Jose, Calif.): terrible name, but it looks great with the cool font and album graphics:
http://www.pooterland.com/images/covers/KakFront.jpg

Same for The Jam" on the In The City cover, OK name but it looks and feels great sprayed in fat black paint over white ceramic tiles.

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

Wow - I've never heard of Kak, I must admit. Interesting choice of name, although I suspect it didn't have the connotations at the time, in San Jose at least.

Yeah, The Jam's graffiti logo saved their bacon there, to some extent.

More really terrible names:
Blur
Oasis
Sleeper
Gene
Lush
Ride
Curve
Dodgy
Powder
Shed Seven
Cast
Thurman
Mansun
Travis
Space
Symposium
Kula Shaker
Verve

Good name:
The Verve

Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of these band names are shit.

(Except maybe, maybe The Upsetters.)

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

Kak is a pretty obscure one-album band from the Bay Area, circa 1969. They have at least two great cuts. Check out the bass on "Everything's Changing":

http://dw.com.com/redir?siteid=31&edid=3&ptid=&ontid=&ctype=RF;Song;ATN;PTNR&cval=3;2219488;4;9&desturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg1.allmusic.com%2Fcg%2Fsmp.dll%3Flink%3Dy20cs1sr1sg66d3wpxl8ih b%26z%3DMP3%26r%3D20.asx

But their most famous song is "Lemonaide Kid", about as groovy as 1969 ever got, tabla and all. Beautiful.

http://dw.com.com/redir?siteid=31&edid=3&ptid=&ontid=&ctype=RF;Song;ATN;PTNR&cval=3;2219495;4;9&desturl=http%3A%2F%2Fsg1.allmusic.com%2Fcg%2Fsmp.dll%3Flink%3Dootlf2p5080z2ptg8yc5c4 t%26z%3DMP3%26r%3D20.asx

dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Newish Kranky band Autistic Daughters have one of the worst names in recent history.
Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good names:
Urge Overkill
Cathedral
Lloyd Cole & The Commotions
Peter & The Test-Tube Babies
The Dead Kennedys
Spandau Ballet
Comsat Angels
The Gun Club
Six By Seven
Tubeway Army (he should've kept it)

Sh*te names:
No Doubt
Nickelback
Hootie & The Blowfish
Embrace
Prefab Sprout
Kitchens of Distinction
Savage Garden
Arctic Monkeys
Extreme
Deacon Blue
Marilyn Manson
Kinetic Ideals
Spanky & Our Gang
Ocean Colour Scene
Yes
The Glitter Band
Never the Bride
Every New Dead Ghost ('errm, not a Goth outfit by any chance, are we??')

(Totally agree with Taylor that adding 'The' to 'Verve' made it a way better name...)

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

One of Peter And The Test Tube Babies came up to me in the pub the other day. Nice chap with a self-deprecating awareness of the absurdity of still doing what he's doing. I wouldn't know one of their songs if it gobbed on me.

How is Six By Seven a good name? Cathedral's a bit cack as well.

I never knew what the 'comsat' in Comsat Angels meant until recently. As a child I think I thought a 'comsat' was some sort of launderette.

Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cathedral's name is good if you know what they sound like (glacially slow, heavy doom-metal with touches of Caravan-style pastoral psychedelia).
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC