This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Is there a more annoying band name in existence than . . . (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Is there a more annoying band name in existence than . . .
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on the band or the music as well. Some names are irredeemably shit regardless, some suit the overall package. The one example that springs to mind is Justice - it fits with the music and the symbols and the style, but would be shit if it was used, say, by The Band Formerly Known As Snow Patrol.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(I've seen Cathedral live, by the way. I get the deal.)
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the imposing grandiosity of 'Cathedral' as a name - as though nothing could improve upon it in terms of size or splendour. And especially used in conjunction with a band such as they are.

Six By Seven? Well, it's all horses for courses obviously, but I've always liked its undefined-ness - and the way it rolls off the tongue.

(Obviously, the expression 'comsat' has been mentioned once or twice in the news this past day or so...)

Peter & The TTBs? Their best-known moment was probably 'Banned From the Pubs' in 1982. They even did a Peel session, bizarrely...

[ 20.03.2008, 14:06: Message edited by: TV's 'Mr P' ]

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr. Hofzinser
Member # 26

- posted      Profile for Dr. Hofzinser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that U2 is a particularly terrible name. Not done them any harm, mind.

I have a lot more time for their music than just about anyone else on the board, I think, but Sleeper really was an awful choice of name, wasn't it? The mind boggles as to what they were thinking when they chose it.

I think the Scissor Sisters is a very good recent name.

Posts: 9155 | From: salubrious Crouch End | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what became more tedious during the nineties - bands with four-letter names, or bands called '****er'.

I s'pose the 'U2' deal is that it probably looked kinda big and imposing on concert hoardings (or Christian Union notice boards).

Interestingly, this is why 'Mud' changed their name from 'The Mourners'...

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did they? That's neat.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sleeper were named after the Woody Allen film. Which contravenes one of Taylor's rules, for a start.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There was a band called Barabbas who had a minor hit in South Africa in the early 80s, called On The Road Again. I quite enjoyed it actually, but haven't heard it in years. I think they were Spanish.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As to crap names, "The Younger Younger 28s" takes some beating. Their album was fun though.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think that as crap bandnames goes The Dropkick Murphys takes some beating. Mainly because it's The Dropkick Murphys' name and they're so awful that it's just axiomatic that it must be fucking awful as everything else about them is.

But there is also the fact that it's a fucking awful name in its own right. But that's just a bonus, really.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Dropkick Murphys are not awful. I have some of their stuff. In fact, I was into them, sort of, before they were famous. So there. They're hardcore with some Celtic folk influences. That same description can be applied to where they are from.

It's not a great name. The Dropkick part doesn't really make any sense. The Murphys part just says "we're Boston Irish" which is sort of obvious from all the songs anyway.

[ 20.03.2008, 22:51: Message edited by: Reed ]

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I was into them, sort of, before they were famous.
I'd keep quiet about that sort of thing if I were you. At least the other mugs can blame peer pressure.
Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What have you got against hardcore or the irish?

What are you, some kind of fascist, man? You're
just like our parents, always trying to keep us down, man. Go ahead and wear your business suits so you can make $34,000 a year to buy your condominium. They're all zombies racing to their graves. Love didn't work for my mom and dad. Why should it work for me? They're all a bunch of Nazi conformists cheerleaders.

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thankfully, the Dropkick Murphys are not Irish, much as they might want to be. We have enough terrible bands clogging up our country as it is.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
They're hardcore with some Celtic folk influences.
As cases for the defence go, that's a bit "no really, you'll like it, it's just like spiders on toast".
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC