This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Double Sided Singles (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Double Sided Singles
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something which has dribbled away in the CD age - singles where the B-side is as stone cold a classic as the A-side. Suppose we can include 3-track 12-inchers. People used to take a pride in their work? Care?

Bit of a John Harris world, though, this. Black artists never strong on B-sides, in general - can't think of too many rap B-sides, Motown would just take the piss, the reggae guys would just stick a version on the B-side (although these were often amazing, it doesn't really count here), don't recall ever hearing a funk B-side and there are no singles in jazzland. Still, it's something white rock used to be good at, so hurrah. No counting singles lifted from previously released LPs where someone just stuck another stand-out track on the other side.

The Beatles - Strawberry Fields Forever / Penny Lane

The Beatles - Hey Jude / Revolution

The Beatles - Paperback Writer / Rain

The Rolling Stones - The Last Time / Play With Fire

The Rolling Stones - Let's Spend The Night Together / Ruby Tuesday

The Smiths - William, It Was Really Nothing / Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want / How Soon Is Now? (12")

Love - Your Mind & We Belong Together / Laughing Stock

The Monkees - I'm A Believer / (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

Buzzcocks - What Do I Get? / Oh Shit!

The Calico Wall - Flight Reaction / I'm A Living Sickness

Millions I've forgotten, remind me

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Supremes - Love Is Like An Itching In My Heart/He's All I Got

Suede - The Drowners/To The Birds

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cliff had a couple:

I'm Looking Out the Window/Do You Want to Dance
The Next Time/Bachelor Boy

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a few Stone Roses contenders, but I'll go for:

Stone Roses - She Bangs the Drums/Standing Here, or
Stone Roses - She Bangs the Drums/Mersey Paradise/Standing Here on the 12"

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Doh! Elvis was of course the King of the double-sided hit, must have been over a dozen but biggies include:

Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog
Teddy Bear/Loving You
His Latest Flame/Little Sister

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loads of hits where the DJs would pick up the b-side rather than the putative lead song, and thus turn the also-ran into a hit. Fucked if I can think of any right now.

Adding to Taylor's list:
Elvis: Hound Dog/Don't Be Cruel

And a b-side that is much better than the a-side (and which might actually be an example of flipped sides):

Mungo Jerry: In The Summertime/Mighty Man

The latter is such a fantastic song, though one can see why the former was such a big hit.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

And one from planet Spector:

I Wonder/Little Boy : The Crystals

Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinks - Til The End Of The Day/Where Have All The Good Times Gone

Suede - Stay Together/The Living Dead/My Dark Star

Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Loads of hits where the DJs would pick up the b-side rather than the putative lead song, and thus turn the also-ran into a hit. Fucked if I can think of any right now.

Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive, I'm sure.

Kraftwerk - Computer Love/The Model (even if they didn't agree with it)

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mitch
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Mitch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The most recent one I can remember:

Nirvana - Smells Like Teen Spirit/Aneurysm

Posts: 1949 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fall: How I Wrote Elastic Man/City Hobgoblins
The Jam: Going Underground/Dreams of Children

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

Elastic Man City Hobgoblins. A new football fanzine?
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first I think I was aware of was Day Tripper/We Can Work It Out.

Didn't the two sides of Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog chart independently of each other? I presume this was on the basis of shhet music sales.

[ 19.03.2008, 16:30: Message edited by: Andy C ]

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wham!'s Last Christmas/Everything She Wants, which got reversed once Christmas 1984 had passed.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil Kulkarni
Member # 6775

- posted      Profile for Neil Kulkarni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to give a shout out to

The Specials - Ghost Town/Friday Night, Saturday Morning

because it's got to be one of the greatest double-headers of all time.

Posts: 77 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC