This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Double Sided Singles (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Double Sided Singles
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't the two sides of Don't Be Cruel/Hound Dog chart independently of each other?

Yes, but that was the way all double-sided hits used to be listed, at least until the early 60s. At the time I wondered how they figured it out. In the US I think they calculated juke-box plays and DJ spins as well as actual sales but I don't know about the UK.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Specials one is almost an EP really, because there was another track on the B-side, "Why?".
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't think that used to happen in the UK, it was just overall sales - so "We Can Work It Out" / "Day Tripper" would appear on the chart listings. The danger here was that you split your radio plays.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things are complicated by downloads, where a physical single may be categorised as a double-A side, but only one of the two tracks counts towards its chart placing when downloaded (unless the two are bundled together online too). This is currently the case with Leona Lewis' latest single. So one side of the physical single is in the chart under its own name only due to download sales.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Neil Kulkarni
Member # 6775

- posted      Profile for Neil Kulkarni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SR - you're right of course - it's the best triple-tracker of the 80s praps.
Also regarding hip-hop b-sides there's plenty of ace ones but the one I can see in my racks right now is Wu Tang Clan 'Protect Yr Neck/After The Laughter COmes Tears' which is a doozie in anyone's book.

Posts: 77 | From: Coventry | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just haven't bought a hip hop single for many years, probably since about 1992. Long way from Eric B & Rakim - seems to have become albums music, maaan.
Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ant259
Member # 1734

- posted      Profile for ant259     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call there about the Specials.

Also:

The Smiths - "This Charming Man/Jeanne", amongst loads of others they did.

Posts: 1653 | From: Oviedo | Registered: Nov 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cocteau Twins - 'Aikea Guinea'/'Kookaburra'
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm astonished that no-one - in particular Hobbes - has mentioned...

The Cure - Let's Go To Bed'/'Just One Kiss' yet. I'm particularly thinking of the 12".

Apologies if it has been mentioned - I couldn't see it if it has.

[ 20.03.2008, 00:29: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

The Beach Boys:

'Don't Worry Baby'/'I Get Around'
'Sloop John B'/'You're So Good To Me'

Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MARRS - Pump Up The Volume/Anitina (The first time I see her dance).

this was always promoted as a double 'A' side but I can't remember anyone actually playing Anitina as a preference!

Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cookie
Member # 813

- posted      Profile for cookie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wet Wet Wet and Billy Bragg - I Get By.../She's Leaving Home.
Posts: 363 | From: Glasgow | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
treibeis
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for treibeis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was 'Silly Thing'/'Who Killed Bambi?' a double 'A' side?
Posts: 1298 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, but I know that "My Way" and that song sung by Ronald Biggs was a double a-side.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robin Carmody
Member # 712

- posted      Profile for Robin Carmody     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The M/A/R/R/S thing (which Gambaccini and the Rice Brothers were decidedly sniffy about) was at 4AD's insistence - probably really AR Kane's insistence, because although M/A/R/R/S was theoretically a collaboration, "Anitina" was mostly them while "Pump Up The Volume" itself was mostly Colourbox.

"Hello Goodbye" / "I Am The Walrus" might count. But while the B-side is one of the greatest things ever recorded, the A-side is relatively substandard. Nevertheless, "I Am The Walrus" became the only song to be at numbers 1 and 2 simultaneously without ever being released as an A-side.

Posts: 1275 | From: Down South | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC