This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Michael Stipe finally comes out
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
R.E.M. frontman Michael Stipe has revealed he is gay.
Gee, who saw that one coming? Next week in New Zealand's news: Elvis Presley like burgers.

I recall reading Stipe talking about his homosexuality something like 15 years ago. And even then I took it as common knowledge that Stipe is gay. If there is anything I like about the whining misery guts, it is that he treats his sexuality as something that he neither needs to hide nor grandly announce.

Which is preferable to that loathsome "defiance" with which George Michael lurched from the closet, or the soap opera Elton John staged when he couldn't decide whether he needed a beard six years after "confessing" that he was bisexual.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's easy to be judgemental, but how fair is it to demand of gay men that they accomplish with perfect dignity and grace something the rest of us don't even need to attempt?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guff daddy
Member # 12234

- posted      Profile for guff daddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think one of the Gallaghers wishing AIDS infection on Stipe a while back kind of give this away?

More interesting was the following;

quote:
7 Chinese Brothers was about me breaking up a couple - and then dating both of them, a man and a woman, which is a terrible thing to do, but I was young and stupid.

I think you could listen to this song/read the lyrics from now to the end of time without drawing that (or indeed any other) meaning from it.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noby
Member # 1429

- posted      Profile for noby     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought that was Nicky Wire. Not that it's relevant.

EDIT: Actually it's more than just irrelevant. You believe that someone wishing AIDS on him was a sure sign that he is gay?

[ 19.03.2008, 12:35: Message edited by: noby ]

Posts: 434 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he came out years ago
Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RobW
Member # 1522

- posted      Profile for RobW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicky Wire said 'In the season of goodwill, here's hoping Michael Stipe goes the way as Freddie Mercury pretty soon'.

Noel Gallagher wished aids on Damon Albarn and Alex James, because 'he hated the fucking pair of them' or words to that effect.

Michael Stipe has got a lovely whispery talking voice.

REM are playing the Apple Store in London next week to bout 450 people, but I think it was open only to competition winners and fan club members.

[ 19.03.2008, 12:49: Message edited by: RobW ]

Posts: 1196 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Super Sharp Shooter
Member # 750

- posted      Profile for Super Sharp Shooter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also sure I recall him talking publicly about this a few years back.
Posts: 18241 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, he publicly came out during an interview before Up came out, but had been saying things like "I'm as bent as a nine-dollar bill" for years before that.

It was a large part of the "Stipe is actually dead of Aids" "rumour" which has been around for going on two decades now...

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
guff daddy
Member # 12234

- posted      Profile for guff daddy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You believe that someone wishing AIDS on him was a sure sign that he is gay?

No, not at all. I meant that when the remark about Stipe was made (not by either of the Gallaghers - obviously got my Wires crossed there...) the reaction in the music press etc. at the time seemed to me to indicate that Stipe's being gay was common knowledge in the business.
Posts: 28 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stipe's gayness was common knowledge by the early 1990s, around which time Morrissey wrote the song 'Found Found Found' for/about him.
Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nicky Wire's remark was not made with homophobic intent. He just wanted Michael Stipe to die of something really nasty (he could just as easily have said cancer).

To be honest, I miss the days when the Manics said that sort of thing. Nowadays it's all backslapping camaraderie and praising Kaiser Chiefs and Bloc Party for having "staying power" or whatever.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If there is anything I like about the whining misery guts, it is that he treats his sexuality as something that he neither needs to hide nor grandly announce.

Hmm, I've got to say, if there's anything I don't like about the whining misery guts, it's the way he quietly and dignifiedly addresses talk about his sexuality every single time he has an album or concert to shill.

[ 19.03.2008, 14:20: Message edited by: The Batebe of Toro Foundation ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

quote:
Well, it's easy to be judgemental, but how fair is it to demand of gay men that they accomplish with perfect dignity and grace something the rest of us don't even need to attempt?
Well said, Wyatt, by the way.
adams house cat
Member # 228

- posted      Profile for adams house cat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stipe discussed his sexuality on a VH1 'Behind The Music' in 1999/2000 or thereabouts.
Posts: 965 | From: Farmington NM | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC