This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) (Page 13)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting that you quote "Revol", a song so overloaded with meaning, and so condensed (seemingly written in a kind of personal shorthand), that even the other Manics admit they didn't get it.

As Nicky Wire said onstage once, Richey told him "Don't worry. Simon Price will understand." Which is flattering, but I'm not entirely sure that I do.

But it's certainly open to several interpretations, and even if you can't nail the exact meaning of every single line, you can still get the overall point about the degeneracy and corruption of every 20th century leader he lists.

And I couldn't disagree with you more about the words-and-music collaborativeness. The musical wing of the band totally caught the paranoid-but-defiant, self-hating/other-hating, vulnerable-but-militant mood of Edwards' lyrics.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, The Holy Bible is where the words and music mesh for me as well. It's the only album of theirs where it feels like them being themselves, letting it just pour out rather than trying to fit a contrived ideal. That goes for the words and the music.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC