This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   
Author Topic: It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stipe discussed his sexuality on a VH1 'Behind The Music' in 1999/2000 or thereabouts.
It probably slipped under the radar, since the world stopped giving a fuck after New Adventures in Hi-Fi.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It probably slipped under the radar, since the world stopped giving a fuck after New Adventures in Hi-Fi.
Hah, I love that idea: he's been repeatedly trying to come out of the closet for nigh on a decade, but only succeeds in doing so when public interest in R.E.M. is finally on an upward curve again.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Oolon Colluphid LLB
Member # 123

- posted      Profile for Oolon Colluphid LLB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it really on an upward curve again? R.E.M. are turning into the Rolling Stones. People will go and see them in concert but no one gives a fuck about the new record.

Having said that, I'll still buy the new album.

Posts: 3194 | From: a Distance' is a rubbish song | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well said, Wyatt. It does my head in trying to imagine what it'd be like having to decide when/whether/how to come out.

I was at that Manics gig when Wire made that comment. It was ace. At the aftershow party, Wire was a little bit sheepish as he realised what a big deal the comment was going to be. Then Richey and I discussed tactics for Russian Roulette. Then Pete Wylie fell over. Then a fight broke out and Steven Wells had to break it up. Great night it was.

Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm, while I obviously agree that coming out is a sensitive process, I'm not sure that those who do so in a manner that might be debatable should be given carte blanche. I fear it would be patronising to do so.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bloody hell, Pants, our paths must have crossed very closely that night. I was there or thereabouts for all that stuff.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eeh, maybe you were blending into the crowd..
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Bloody hell, Pants, our paths must have crossed very closely that night. I was there or thereabouts for all that stuff.
Heh. Maybe we even met that night. I was pretty lashed so I probably wouldn't remember. I was with my mate Dave who's a dead ringer for Gary Crowley. (So Richey insisted on calling him 'Gary', which drove him bonkers.) When James Dean Bradfield came in, I remember being shocked by how small he is.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

My favourite memory of that whole night was when a Manics fan in a wheelchair came over to talk to Wire, and he spoke to her courteously for a few minutes, then straight after she left, he turned to me and grinned "Ahhh, who cares if the faggots don't like me any more. I'm down with the cripples now!"
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nicky Wire's remark was not made with homophobic intent. He just wanted Michael Stipe to die of something really nasty (he could just as easily have said cancer).

Hmm, he made a remark about wishing a gay singer woudl die of Aids like another gay singer and there was no homophobic intent?

Nicky Wire is probably no more homophobic than I am but that was a stupid homophobic remark.

I realise that, I think, Philip Hall had either just died of cancer or was ill with cancer at the time and they may have been a source of his anger at the time but it was still a stupid remark to make. His remark to you doesn't exactly help either

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm struggling to think of a funny line that includes the words "faggots" and "cripples".
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Yeah, you probably had to be there. No but really. If you don't think that was a brilliant no-harm-done private quip, made with knowing gallows humour, in the circumstances (when he was facing a lynching for alleged homophobia)... well, fine. Tough crowd. *shrug*

Tell you what, though. I didn't know Michael Stipe was gay or even rumoured to be gay at the time. I just thought he was the boring bastard singer from a boring bastard band who were sacred fucking cows at the time. I got the impression that's how Wire saw things too.

Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

By the way, just to clarify, Wire didn't actually mention AIDS at all. He just wished death.

Exact words: "In this season of goodwill, here's hoping Michael Stipe goes the same way as Freddie Mercury."

The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's pretty clear what that means, isn't it.

I struggle to see what's funny or admirable about the original Stipe/Mercury quote. There's not even any humorous hyperbole in it (like there was in, say, the Slowdive/Hitler thing). It's just banal vitriol that made Wire look dumb.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it is fairly obvious what he was implying. A fair few people either knew or strongly suspected that Stipe was gay.I am fairly sure I did at the time.

I remember thinking that he was making more of a point about Stipe still being in the closet.

I don't think it was a "brilliant no-harm-done private quip", I think it is a quip between the two of you that should have probably stayed that way as it seems just as stupid as the first one out of the original circumstances.

Like I say, I don't particularly hold it against Wire as he has always seemed like an intelligent thoughtful and witty bloke who sometimes says stupid things off the top of his head. If I condemned him for this outright, I would have to condemn myself, my freinds, my family and most of the poeple on this list as well, which seems like hard work.

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  ...  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC