This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine) (Page 9)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   
Author Topic: It's The End Of The Closet As We Know It (And I Feel Fine)
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a difficult one though. As I say, if a cab driver turned around to you and said

"I tell you what, guv, I hope that Michael Stipe goes the way of that facking Freddie Mercury", i.e. pretty much word for word what Wire said, you would probably go mental.

The only reason that Wire is getting a different attitude is because we are all fairly sure (as much as we can be) that he isn't homophobic, well, no more than the rest of us, that he is intelligent and, let's face it, because SR is mates with him.

So in some way, we would cut the cab driver less slack because what he says is out of ignorance and yet we are cutting Wire slack because he is intelligent.

Anyway, I am off to bed, can we squeeze enough out of this for a second day, do you think. Personally, I think SR should get Wire on here to explain himself. It's the only way

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

- posted      Profile for Bored Of The Dance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of final points

I do concur with SR that saying Razorlight are anything other than shit is reprehensible.

quote:
I like to hope I can detect the difference between an off colour joke and real bigotry.
Wire's was defintely an off-colour joke(s), not real bigotry. I hope I have made that clear throughout.

Finally, I forgot that the actual rumour doing the rounds at the time was that Stipe was gay and dying of AIDS. I am not sure that Wire would have known this though or, indeed, whether this makes much difference

Posts: 3647 | From: the desk of the Chairman | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Taylor: here. Obviously the download's expired, but someone'll have it.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I thought he was/is teetotal. If he was drunk that night, it does put a bit of a different perspective on both the remarks.
He's definitely not teetotal. For shows he's either totally sober or completely blitzed, my first post on the subject alluded to it.

I don't know about the night in question though.

Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a track on the new Brianjonestown Massacre album called 'Automatic Faggot For The People'.

It is hard to get any more context from it as the track is instrumental.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Morris' agenda isn't hard to discern; it's there in the text.
That's just not true a lot of time. Bitter piss-taking that has no obvious satirical purpose has always been a significant part of Chris Morris’s work. He says plenty of vicious things with no agenda other than confusing the brain by scrambling the messages it’s prepared to receive, something can be an end in itself if it provokes viewers or listeners to think about what’s coming through the box a bit more.

You know, when he suggested Darkus Howe was a "cocoa shunter" you'd have every right to take Morris up for using an obviously homophobic insult which might even be percieved to have racist connotations when delivered to a black man he knows isn’t going to recognise the term (is it me, or can you can see Howe considering what the "cocoa" in that bizarre insult could mean, before he gives up and asks?). Now, "cocoa shunter" is a ridiculous insult he’s just invented, and as such makes me laugh, same as it would anyone who knows anything about his work. But had it been reported in the press and found to be offensive by some guy over there who’s not familiar with Chris Morris, you’d have a hard time defending it.

On the Paedo Special, when he’s talking about the kid “with a nice pink arse and no hair on his balls” he’s not directly satirising the way news programmes report paedophilia; it’s an oblique volley [if you will] of disgust at the fact there’s a man in the telly talking to you, and who the fuck does he think he is anyway.

To avoid any confusion: I’m not drawing a direct comparison between the specifics of the Nicky Wire situation and the specifics of those sketches; they’re just examples of Morris brainwrongs that have no satirical subtext, but which in context operate as a brain-activating jolt to the viewer by confounding their expectations.

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And Wire's outburst caused a similar disruption in service in the small-scale media that reported it. The music press-reading brain, used to earnest tributes and the privileging of pop stars above mortals, would be prepared to receive news that a shirtless James Dean Bradfield of glam rock band the Manic Street Preachers had bellowed (in his Mercurial voice) "THIS ONE'S FOR FREDDIE!" to a baying crowd. Instead , they got their fucking stick insect of a bassist, pictured (from memory) in a pink satin shirt covered in images of Marilyn Monroe, with eyeliner smeared all over his face underneath his 70s glam/punk feathercut, seething in his campy onstage voice "I hope that cunt Stipe pegs it too."

If my 15-year-old hick self grasped all that, it's reasonable assumption that all Manics fans at the time did too. They weren't a big band at the time, but they had an unusually avid following who read every interview and got exactly what they were about. So the main group of people who might be subject to the malign influence of Wire's dodgy-looking comment knew full well it wasn’t homophobic - they were the 'gayest' guitar band around.

If any hoary old rockers, who made up another proportion of the band's audience at the time, had read it as a reassuringly homophobic comment of the kind you’d expect from the LA Glam lot, they would have been treated to the sight of Wire 'fellating' the guitarist at the first gig they rolled up to, or perhaps a set of the band’s overtly homoerotic, anti-misogynist videos if they couldn't make it along. That's actually quite a subversive scenario.

And if the casual indie kids who made up the final proportion of their audience at the time – who weren’t homophobic, no siree, they just didn't like boys in make-up and wrote letters saying they wanted to "smash their pretty little faces in" – had read it as an unwelcome shot of unreconstructed bigotry, well, they'd have to say why, wouldn't they? And they couldn't. These were people who fancied themselves politically aware, but who casually associated AIDS with homosexuality and couldn’t tell you why it was worse to wish someone death by AIDS than death by cancer.

And more seasoned observers such as TVMP would have just supped their nut-brown ale and said they were all "hype" and "trying to be controversial" anyway, same as they would have done the week before.

So that's the context. We're right on the thin line between clever and stupid here, but that's exactly where the Manics came into their own.

[ 21.03.2008, 11:03: Message edited by: Not me ]

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Harry Carpenter
Member # 1577

- posted      Profile for Harry Carpenter     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Not Me used to be someone else?
Posts: 6604 | From: the South Wales riviera to leafy suburbia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

Didn't we all?
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

Shit, missed the "else" at the end of your post there.

Mind you, it still holds true

Not me
Member # 65

Yeah, I was me (Leo) till a couple of years ago, Harry.
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A 'seasoned observer', eh? Well, just so long as it's cardamom or jalapeno pepper, I'm happy enough.

I'll grant you the 'nut brown ale' bit, though, Not Me - I've always been a bitter drinker. I mean, lager's for poofs, isn't it?

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bored Of The Dance
Member # 6347

quote:
So that's the context. We're right on the thin line between clever and stupid here, but that's exactly where the Manics came into their own.
Personally, I think it was this incident popping up in his lackey's research that made Castro finally give the thumbs up to the whole Havana shebang
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And more seasoned observers such as TVMP would have just supped their nut-brown ale and said they were all "hype" and "trying to be controversial" anyway, same as they would have done the week before.
What a wonderful sentence.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
*Sigh* They know me so well!
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 13 pages: 1  2  3  ...  6  7  8  9  10  11  12  13   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC