This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » We Care and We Share: African music edition (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: We Care and We Share: African music edition
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I put up some links to download a box set of Nigerian funk/afrobeat in the Vampire Weekend thread, but I figure that that are at least a few people that could link to some good songs that we might not have heard before.

Nigeria 70: The Definitive Story of Funky Lagos
Disc 1: http://download.yousendit.com/218859307BE4762F
Disc 2: http://download.yousendit.com/8CFDC67F1E4EBF7F + http://download.yousendit.com/6B9278C3182F0C5D (last track I couldn't get in under the 100mb limit)

Lots of good stuff in that set (there's a third disc of audio documentaries, but I don't have that), including some very early Fela (part of Koola Lobitos, the first track)

On another thread, I had mentioned how good the album The Indestructible Beat of Soweto was. It came out in the early 80s, and apparently it was a big influence in Paul Simon recording Graceland, but don't hold that against it.

Nelcy Sedibe - "Holotelani"
Nganeziyamfisa No Khambalomvaleliso - "Sini Lindile"

(and if you're a completist, you could do worse than going here (hint hint)).

The Cameroonian saxophonist Manu Dibango recorded a jazz/funk soundtrack for a Ruby Dee/Ossie Davis African-revolution themed blaxploitation flick titled Countdown at Kusini, which has apparently become highly sought-after by crate-diggers. Lots of great funky jams on it.

Manu Dibango - "Go Slow Streets"
Manu Dibango - "Red Salter"

(and just as before, if you want more of those, you might want to go here)

Finally, from the afrobeat/funk compilation Ghana Soundz, one of my favorite songs, a heavy funk track:

Gyedu-Blay Ambolley & The Steneboofs - "Simigadwo"

It's a dance song--telling us how to "do the Simigadwo". I don't know how to do that dance, but it gets even my normally restrained indie butt MOVIN.

[ 19.03.2008, 14:33: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant.

If I have time today, I'll add a bit.

[ 19.03.2008, 14:38: Message edited by: Matej ]

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First things first. Three blogs to overflow your collections:
Matsuli Music
Awesome Tapes from Africa
World Passport (Mixed long-play mp3s but so much fucking brilliant stuff.)

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

Alright, these have probably already been posted, but they are worth repeating:
Boyrei - Ali Farka Toure

Gorel - Baaba Maal

Kare Nanhasi - Hallelujah Chicken Run Band

Moliva - Johnny Clegg & Savuka

[ 19.03.2008, 15:02: Message edited by: Matej ]

Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Briliiant. Cheers people.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Loose Cannon ?
Member # 642

- posted      Profile for Loose Cannon ?     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another reason to go home early today - ta!
Posts: 1904 | From: a grassy knoll | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Right, I'm grabbing this lot tonight. Thanks!
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Disney Girl
Member # 1348

- posted      Profile for Disney Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain the file format for the Funky Lagos downloads and how I open them? Loved the other ones thanks.
Posts: 423 | From: now until the shipping forecast at 00.15 hours here is 'sailing by'...... | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

If they are in .rar format, you need to download winrar. Trial download at the top

Here are 11 more randomly selected tracks for your download/listening pleasure:

Wa Muluendu.mp3 - Kasai Allstars; Masanka Sankayi; Mutumilayi

Mwana Wamai Dada Naye.mp3 - Hallelujah Chicken Run Band

Tiramakan.mp3 - Rail Band

One Way.mp3 - Simon Cimbetu & The Orchestra Dendera Kings

Very Sorry.mp3 - Elijah Madzikatire and Ocean City Band

Mouhamadou Bamba.mp3 - Orchestra Baobab

Mke Wangu [Swahili].mp3 - Orchestra Makassy

Aihe Ni Kpe We.mp3 - T.P. Orchestra Poly-Rythmo

Groove the Funk.mp3 - Aktion

Madzangara Dzimu.mp3 - The Green Arrows

Mamadou Boutiquier.mp3 - Ali Farka Toure & Toumani Diabate

When I mean random, I mean random. These were either from CDs I bought or from stuff I downloaded from those above blogs. This is just to give you an easy sample.

(Apologies to Inca if the tags are missing.)

Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

I would normally download all of those ASAP, but I might already have some of them thanks to you! I know I have the Green Arrows one--if you don't know, Matej has been bigging them up for a while now, and the album is indeed great.

edit: I thought that Rail Band song sounded really familiar, but I only had one other of their songs--turned out I had it from a Salif Keita comp.

[ 20.03.2008, 16:45: Message edited by: Inca ]

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
William Onyeabor - Better Change Your Mind

Ofo & The Black Company - Allah Wakbarr

Moussa Dombia - Keleya

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

Are you saying that there is no surprise in our relationship, Inca?

(I had two of Taylor's already.)

Inca
Member # 675

Just in case someone has downloaded the Nigeria 70 set and not listened to it yet, Taylor's first two above are in it.
Inca
Member # 675

Two songs from a 70s Syliphone (a Guinean state-run record label; Bembeya Jazz National recorded for them, and there's a recent Syliphone collection that's on my to-buy list) compilation titled Musique Sans Paroles:

Sombory-Jazz - Nananina
Quintette Guineenne - Douga (really like this one--a nice laid back groove)

edit: and another great blog that I just found: Sea Never Dry

[ 20.03.2008, 19:58: Message edited by: Inca ]

evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Four Brothers:

'Uchandifunga' - "Advice from a parent to a child who is not taking his studies seriously that the future will be bright for those who have a good education. It will take only a few years hard work at school and the future is yours to enjoy. However, if you do not work hard, you will live to regret it."

'Rumbidzai' - "If I cannot marry Rumbidzai I would rather die a bachelor. Without her my world is empty. I vow I will be by her side through times of happiness and sorrow 'til the end of time."

'Makorokoto' - "After many years of hardship we are free at last. Come all my countrymen and let us celebrate!"

'Nhaka Yemusiiranwa' - "We are losing our most precious heritage - our culture. Today's youth has forsaken our culture. It is every adult's duty to educate the youth about our culture and to ensure that it is passed down the line."

All these tracks are taken from the compilation 'Makorokoto' on the Cooking Vinyl label.

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC