This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Give No Quarter

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Give No Quarter
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're almost a quarter of the way through this year so far and certainly, for me, I haven't really found it a vintage year for new releases thus far.

The one pretty excellent record I've liked is Wye Oak's 'If Children'. They are a Philadephia two piece and this debut album is lovely, washes of woozy feedback, delicate strings, psych - folk, sparse balladry, a diverse and arresting record.

Apart from that there has been a handful of pretty decent albums I have liked, the Fuck Buttons record is really striking and bold, British Sea Power is still pretty good though it has waned somewhat. I do like the Goldfrapp record, best thing I've heard them do.

The cult popularity of Panda Bear and the Animal Collective has inspired quite a lot of good stuff in a similar vein, three strong releases from this year are Magnetic Field's 'Distortion', the Ruby Suns' 'Blue Penguin' and Atlas Sound's dreadfully titled 'Let The Blind Lead Those Who Can See But Cannot Feel'. I know it's hard, but don't let it put you off listening to it. And while we're talking about straighter up psychedelia, The Brian Jonestown Masscre are sounding a tired and angry lot these days but their stuff is always good value and their new album has the requisite three or four fine tracks.

And a mention to a band I didn't really know until recently, the Low Lows. Their album 'Shining Violence' could probably be categorised as somewhere between Wye Oak and Goldfrapp and has a lot of good moments.

I do bi-monthly or quarterly playlists that I send out on CDs to people with the best of my music over the previous few months. Here's the track listing for the first of this year, if anyone wants this playlist shared then let me know.

1 . I Get Almost Everything. Mae Shi
2 . There Are Birds. Ruby Suns
3 . Three-Way. Magnetic Fields
4 . Who Cares Why. Brian Jonestown Massacre
5 . Sweet Love For Planet Earth. Fuck Buttons
6 . Waving Flags. British Sea Power
7 . Hallelujah. Helio Sequence
8 . Keep Your Water. School of Language
9 . To Catch the Stars. All Our Good Friends
10. Monster Love. Goldfrapp
11. Sparrows. Low Lows
12. If Children Were Wishes. Wye Oak
13. Wilderness. Marah

[ 24.03.2008, 23:49: Message edited by: dalliance ]

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, please share it!

Was listening to the Fuck Buttons album for the first time last night. It should be the kind of thing I love but I had to turn it off after the second track because it was doing my head in, I just didn't get on with it at all.

Can't think of a single album in 2008 I've enjoyed yet, I found Atlas Sound a bit dull really.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it considered a badge of honour or shame around these parts if one truthfully admits to never having heard a single track of the above?
Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Hieronymus Bosch
Member # 1209

- posted      Profile for Hieronymus Bosch     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am generally left nonplussed by Dalliance's contributions to Music because I have never heard of about 80% of the bands he writes about.

I have heard of four of the bands on this list though. 'Three-Way' is a great tune.

Posts: 20007 | From: Terrestrial Paradise | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Toxteth O'Grady
Member # 943

- posted      Profile for Toxteth O'Grady     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On the other side of the spectrum, I love Dalliance's posts because they give me plenty of names to go off and investigate. I agree about the Atlas Sound album. It takes a few plays to get into, but is well worth persevering with. Stuff I like so far this year:

High Places - 03/07-09/07
Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig Lazarus Dig
Tickley Feather - s/t
Beach House - Devotion
Portishead - Third
Fuck Buttons - Street Horrrsing
Rings - Black Habit

...and one album from last year that I'm only just getting into (but can't stop playing) is Red State by Gowns.

Posts: 518 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Batebe of Toro Foundation
Member # 465

- posted      Profile for The Batebe of Toro Foundation     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've listened to very little new stuff in the last while.

But Fuckbuttons rock my world.

[ 24.03.2008, 18:09: Message edited by: The Batebe of Toro Foundation ]

Posts: 17027 | From: your gaff, nicking stuff. | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Threeway was one of the tunes I used in the Taste 0.2 Automagic compatibility thingy.

It is not a particular Magnetic Fields favorite of mine though.

Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beach House are a pleasant enough band but there's just no wow about them. They remind me of White Magic, I actually prefer Beach House but both bands are fairly pedestrian.

Do I get in trouble if I say senhora steveeeeeeeee was listening to "Does it offend you, yeah?" last night and I actually really like it?

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for dalliance     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Beach House are a pleasant enough band but they are a poor man's Grizzly Bear to be honest (I've shared a GB track below). Stick with the Fuck Buttons record though, you need to be in the right mood to do it justice but when it works for you it works brilliantly. It's a bit like the not dissimilar eponymous Holy Fuck album last year really, though better.

A batch of other 2008 releases that are worthy enough of a listen if you happen upon them.

All Our Good Friends. Promise
School Of Language. Sea From Shore
Elbow. The Seldom Seen Kid (worthy but no Cast Of Thousands)
Surrounded. The Nautilus Years
Black Francis. Svn Fngrs (his last two records have been pretty good now)
Helio Sequence. Keep Your Eyes Ahead
Radar Brothers. Auditorium (same as they ever was)
White Hinterland. Phylactery Factory (good if you like Howling Bells)
MGMT. Oracular Spectcular
White Rabbits. Fort Nightly

Here's some shared stuff anyway. If you are using iTunes this compilation has 2008-1 in its comment field. I'd recommend you try and follow the listing above as I do try to sequence them. the second part has a Grizzly Bear track at the end as well.

Note : Actually it's taking ages to upload these to yousendit so I'll post the links a little later or in the morning.

Posts: 10899 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'm usually non-plussed by most of dalliance's artists. But at Toxteth says, if you know and like dalliance's taste, you can get some good tips there.

In my neck of the genres, I've been satisfied with a couple of albums, and I'm looking forward to a few releases in the works.

The one I've really been pleased with is Tift Merritt's Another Country, a quite wonderful album by singer who straddles the alt.country and country divide. hobbes will hate it.

Nada Surf's new album is also very good.

Otherwise I've liked Tristan Prettyman's forthcoming album, but don't expect many people here to share in my delight. I also enjoyed much of Laura Marlin's album. I'm still listening to the new Counting Crows album, but I don't expect it will make my end-of-year list.

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was actually thinking it's been a pretty good start to the year, what with The Long Blondes (coming v soon), MGMT, Neon Neon, The Whip, Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, Hercules & Love Affair and British Sea Power.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MGMT - good album ruined by crappy mastering which makes it a nasty headphone listen.
such a shame as underneath the excess treble is the makings of a classic album.
so far 20008 has not been a great one for me, but the new album by the black dog, radio scarecrow has proven to be the most played.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dalliance
Member # 14

Here's the links for that playlist.

2008-1 Part One

2008-1 Part 2

2008-1 Part 3 plus a Grizzly Bear track

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC