This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Poorly chosen cover versions by bands beyond criticism (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poorly chosen cover versions by bands beyond criticism
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've spent the day largely listening to "Time Machines" by Coil. It's hard to criticise Coil, they were great at what they did and I guess a large part of their audience grew around the cult of the band than the actual actions of the band itself.

But search their name in youtube and that Sex Magick mystique gets all watery as you hear their godawful cover version of Tainted Love. What in almighty god fuck was going on there?
It seems they weren't alone. Swans were always a band a generation before my time, they might've been good but I missed out on them, However, youtube investigation presents this hideous version of Love Will Tear Us Apart probably proves that I was lucky to be from the generation that spawned Ned's Atomic Dustbin rather than that sack of shite.

Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like Devo immensely but I always hated their version of 'Satisfaction'.

Not sure if Devo - or Coil - are actually 'beyond criticism', though.

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good call on Devo's Satisfaction, JP. I think they were also making a statement there too, sort of burrying the 70s rock&roll sound by butchering that anthem. BTW, was it you that requested the remixed version of "Here to go" a while back?
Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matej
Member # 219

- posted      Profile for Matej     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, Devo's "Satisfaction" might be the best cover version ever. Particularly the live versions (easily found on youtube).
Posts: 6506 | From: I hear New Zealand is nice | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonic Youth's version of Superstar would be up there. But then I treasure the song more than the band anyway, so perhaps that's not the way to come at this.

Not sure if Devo - or Coil - are actually 'beyond criticism', though.

Who is?

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, got to admit that I really like Devo's cover of Satisfaction. I suppose I should clarify "beyond criticism" as roughly meaning "music critics generally like these bands". So Devo definitely qualify.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

I actually like Sonic Youth's cover of Superstar too, but Jesus, their cover version of "Touch me I'm Sick" is awful to the core.
treibeis
Member # 245

- posted      Profile for treibeis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Fall are usually good with their choice of cover versions (e.g. 'Strychnine', 'I'm A Mummy', 'There's A Ghost In My House'). 'Victoria' was pretty poor, though, I thought.

[ 24.03.2008, 21:59: Message edited by: treibeis ]

Posts: 1298 | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Massive Attack were nigh-on untouchable until "Light My Fire" stunk the place out.
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But they were only taking the piss with that. (That's what I always tell myself, anyway.)
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think they were also making a statement there too, sort of burrying the 70s rock&roll sound by butchering that anthem.
Yes, that was always implicit but I think it was totally unecessary.

Everything that Devo did was a reaction against the staid, bloated condition of rock and roll. The 'Satisfaction' cover was them bludgeoning their audience over the head with this concept just to make sure we got it. We already had.

Edit - no, linus, I didn't make that request.

[ 24.03.2008, 23:07: Message edited by: Joe Public ]

Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bob,bob,bob & bob
Member # 4308

- posted      Profile for bob,bob,bob & bob     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Johnny Cash inevitably comes up short on a couple of his cover versions – Bridge Over Troubled Water springs to mind, but only for the harmony he did with Fiona Apple which compares with Hylda Baker and Arthur Mullard's 'You're the one that I want'. And In My Life was almost as bad as Sean Connery’s rendition.
Posts: 115 | From: The Wirral Peninsula | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I rather like those two cover versions.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devo's 'Satisfaction' was great: their version of 'Working in a Coalmine', however...
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mark e
Member # 1218

- posted      Profile for mark e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Devo's 'Satisfaction' was great: their version of 'Working in a Coalmine', however...

loved em both, and lets not forget their cover of Are you Experienced in which the video featured Hendrix coming out of a coffin during a concert.

Posts: 1616 | From: Bristol | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC