This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » Poorly chosen cover versions by bands beyond criticism (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Poorly chosen cover versions by bands beyond criticism
Furtho
Member # 902

- posted      Profile for Furtho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Linus, it was me who asked about Here To Go.
Posts: 2913 | From: The Slow Lane | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pants
Member # 404

- posted      Profile for Pants     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Johnny Cash 'In My Life' is utterly brilliant.
Posts: 3266 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hated the Slits' Heard It Through The Grapevine. Not that I was ever a huge Slits fan. So maybe that doesn't count.
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's one of the best cover versions ever recorded!
Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Taylor
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Taylor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, The Raincoats' "Lola" is one of the best cover versions ever recorded. The Slits' "Heard It Through The Grapevine" is a nice try.

The Beatles deserve a shout here. They improved "Twist And Shout", went toe-to-toe with Little Richard on "Long Tall Sally" and didn't disgrace themselves on "You Really Got A Hold On Me", but have you heard them doing "Everybody's Trying To Be My Baby"? "Mr Moonlight"? "Besame Mucho"?

Posts: 3395 | From: further over there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Raincoats' Lola is good.

I nominate the Kingsmen's go at Mustang Sally. They sucked every last drop of soul out of that song.

And this shit. (oh, right, bands beyond criticism.)

[ 26.03.2008, 02:11: Message edited by: bryanattoni ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gus Tomato
Member # 467

- posted      Profile for Gus Tomato         Edit/Delete Post 
The Pet Sop Boys' * complete immolation of that Willie Nelson song should definitely warrant a mention.

* Not that I think they're beyond criticism, in fact I think they're cobblers, but I realise I'm in a minority of one on this site.

Posts: 4506 | From: Hades | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They improved "Twist And Shout"

No no no no no no no no no.

No.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
linus
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for linus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
AdC: maybe?

Furtho: OK. I've got some studio time and access to quality equipment around June, I'll put it in digital format, hang in there (hoping to get a radio DJ gig this summer!)

Posts: 1376 | From: afar | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh uh. The Isley Brothers version remains definitive. The Beatles copped the arrangement and George Martin gave it a 'Live in Studio' sound, but it lacks the vocal shadings and the multi-voiced climax, not to mention the great trumpet break. No contest.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Wyatt on The Slits' "Grapevine". Horrible rubbish.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC