This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » Music » lexicon devils (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: lexicon devils
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
George Orwell's first rule of writing is to never use a long word when a short word will suffice but the fifth rule also says you should break that rule rather than write something barbarous.

I think repeating the word drums five times in one short piece is barbarous and the lesser of two evils. (The other being coming up with substitutes.)

Jazzy also has a specific meaning. See also jazz-lite.

Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As in 'DJ Jeff'.

quote:
I think repeating the word drums five times in one short piece is barbarous and the lesser of two evils. (The other being coming up with substitutes.)
Indeed, the skill is never putting oneself in that position in the first place.
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tend to find myself calling someone "the (town name) quintet/quartet/trio" far more often than I should. It's the curse of having to condense all the relevant information into a tiny 100-word album review and still have space to make a point.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass
Member # 730

- posted      Profile for Gas Filled Dolphin Carcass     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's true but sometimes you're just going to have to bite the bullet and get on with it, like when I had to interview Thingummy, the drummer from the Foo Fighters. So much drum talk, so much space to fill.
Posts: 8490 | From: London | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It must be a pisser being the second-most-famous drummer in your own band.
Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely the pertinent question to ask the Foo drummer is whether there is a reason that Grohl's drummer looks very much like Kurt Cobain. Is it a symbolism of reversed roles, with Grohl claiming the conquest of Cobain's frontmanship. Or something.

Oh, and nobody touch the word "frontman". It's a fantastic word.

SR, brevity is laudable. Nothing wrong at all with "the (town name) quintet/quartet/trio".

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You could always just replace quintet/quartet/etc with something else. Personally I couldn't give a shit how many people there are in the band.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't really care where they come from, either.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Anyone got issues with the 'the', too?
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've got one: guitar slinger.

Actually, I like these terms. I sometimes have to translate the liner notes for CDs issued by a German hi-fi company. They put out albums for people who like expensive listening equipment but don't actually like music, so it's all about much-sought-after session sticksmen, seminal white bluesmen and suchlike.

I can really let myself go when I'm doing that stuff.

Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blackdogbeak
Member # 12747

- posted      Profile for blackdogbeak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alderman, you've just made me think (congratulations.)

I love all the old footballing clichés. You know, crack Eastern European outfits, tricky wingers, craggy stoppers, sleeping giants and have-boots-will-travel journeymen (little boys in the park.. jumpers for goalposts..)

Music is different though, and I'm at a loss to think why.

quote:
Yeah, 'Soul Mining' is a shit name for an album. Thanks.
Posts: 651 | From: the muddy banks of the irwell | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You could swap it for "this" occasionally, for variety.

[ 25.03.2008, 13:14: Message edited by: The Horse ]

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...or "this excuse for a".
Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like the idea of that: '...this excuse for a Margate-based cod-reggae outfit.'
Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Auntie Beryl
Member # 1082

- posted      Profile for Auntie Beryl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom Robinson on 6Music has just referred, without apparent irony, to a "combo".
Posts: 1450 | From: west by south | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC