This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Panorama cracks the whip

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Panorama cracks the whip
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What, nothing to say about last night's Panorama documentary about corruption in horse racing?!

Of course, in some ways it merely confirmed what we already suspected.

On the other hand, you have to retain the capacity to be outraged by that kind of stuff, otherwise we're all buggered. Panorama took this as their starting point, and all in all it was an excellent job, diligently and damningly done.

Actually, one thing did surprise me: that a bunch of inbred oafs have been able, until now, to fool all of the people for all of the time.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My god, a nil thread! On a subject I was sure would have been burning up the forum all day!

What are the odds on that? I'll have to ask Victor Chandler.

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Caliban3
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for Caliban3     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't watch it unfortunately because I forgot. I forgot probably because I was still reeling from the Eastenders omnibus, which was bloody brilliant.
Posts: 2813 | From: The Tempest | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's surprising about "Upper-class countrymen are corrupt", Simon? Admittedly, I'm guessing what it was about, as I didn't actually watch the programme.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone who has worked in the horese racing betting industry know that it is as bent as a coiled spring.

Everyone who is in the business knows and everyone else doesn't give a f*ck.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, it was along revealing that Tour de France riders take drugs to keep up.

It kicked a nice fuss though, the documentary was supposed to be shown months ago but it was blocked due to the Jockey Club court actions.

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, it was fantastic. Lots of really good bits where Andy Davies suddenly appeared in the middle of a paddock to berate a bent jockey. Several utterly wonderful moments along the lines of:

"You did X."
"No I didn't."
"Yes, you did, you admitted it."
"No I didn't."
"Yes you did [fishes in pocket] - here's a transcript/letter/other concrete proof."
"Er..."

Amazing that the two people collared were Graham Bradley and Kieren Fallon - that's like, I dunno, Alan Shearer and Bryan Robson, or someone.

Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Margherita
Member # 421

- posted      Profile for Sister Margherita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's one. Which ONE of the following sets of odds is the 'odd' one out? I made them all up, by the way.

5/1 Everton 13/8 Arsenal 10/11

6/5 Leeds 13/8 Liverpool 12/5

13/8 Fulham 7/4 Manchester United 13/8

15/8 Blackburn Rovers 7/4 Newcastle United 7/4

7/4 Manchester City 2/1 Chelsea 5/2

Posts: 54 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn it, missed this programme! Will keep my eyes open for the repeat, but I'm still pissed off that Panorama has been shunted on to Sunday night in the first place.

A couple of thoughts:

1) any sport so closely tied up with gambling risks being corrupted. Witness cricket. But at least cricketers can live on prize money and salaries and the like. But very few horses will earn enough winnings to cover their training costs. I'd be surprised if greyhound racing weren't similarly afflicted.

2) I only watch racing when it's sandwiched between other sports I like, but even from this, it's obvious that the media (C4 and BBC) are far too cosy with the sport, very deferential. Very little critcism indeed- recall Desmond Lynam flirting with "Jenny" on Grand National day. Arguments about animal cruelty were rarely heard, even in the face of horses dying in the ditch at The Chair (to be fair, this was sorted out eventually). John McCrirrick clowns on about how the winner was "heavily backed this morning"- no-one asks why. More reflective figures like Jim McGrath are kept in the background.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gull nook
Member # 378

- posted      Profile for gull nook     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The light... The "odd" one out is the 10-11 Arsenal, that's the only one that's odds-on. Could you please be my bookie? With those sort of odds I could retire next week and kick my f****** boring, tedious job right into touch
Posts: 106 | From: a seat at the big table | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The last one is a no lose bet.

If you bet 3.64 home, 3.33 draw and 2.85 away you would always win a tenner, at a cost of 9.84.

Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure any sport has such a culture of deference and establishment toadying as racing. When we went to the Welsh national at Chepstow last year, the crowd was exhorted over the PA to give its support to the Countryside Alliance, the idea that some in the crowd might oppose them not having entered their heads.

And John McCricik is a 24-carat C*nt

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sister Margherita
Member # 421

- posted      Profile for Sister Margherita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chippy is the bookie's runner!
Posts: 54 | From: Dublin | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

Phipps has resigned.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC