This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Are you watching this?! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Are you watching this?!
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Straight after National Lottery Live, BBC1 is broadcasting another kind of lottery, called Asylum Day: You The Judge in which the public, guided by brief film clips and a panel of experts, decide whether a political refugee (the first one is Clemence, a Zimbabwean opponent of Mugabe who has been beaten and tortured) deserves to enter the UK: YES, OR NO? CALL 0800...

What the F*CK?!?!

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We had this a while ago. Apparently it's not for real, rather they're trying to "raise awareness" of the issues and such.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Impact Substitute
Member # 213

- posted      Profile for Impact Substitute     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm watching it. Can't believe what I'm seeing though. I've turned down the volume coz I'm listening to radio commentary of the Bohemians - Borisov game, but how crude is this? Text voting on whether somebody should be granted asylum?? Probably better off not listening to it. It's an asylum-themed night on BBC tonight, so I'll catch the rest after the game. Still can't believe the BBC are showing this type of, eh, show.
Posts: 1074 | From: a whisper to a scream | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, when is Points of View on?
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
I've only been watching for 5 minutes and it's already depressing, Clarence was voted out of the country by the public and there was applause, admittedly from a lone idiot, when Fiona Bruce announced that the government had come to the same decision. I thought people in the UK were sympathetic to the Zimbabwean opposition? Or is that only if they're white and own two or three farms?
Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hate it when they accuse people of being economic migrants, like it's a dirty word. So what if they are? That's nothing to be ashamed of.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Barndoorio
Member # 69

- posted      Profile for Barndoorio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It wasn't real. The cases were only used to see what people thought, not whether the person really left the country.

I think it shows that alot of people are very blinkered and cold hearted. A nagging part of me thinks that while I disagree, part of a democracy should be the nation having it's desires met.

Although that could also result in the death penalty.

It's a problem I have with my theory on democracy.

Posts: 5360 | From: Glorious Taunton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone see that fuckhead MP Andrew Rosindell (Con, Romford), the cnut who ran around with a Union Jack and a Rottweiler at the election and somehow won his seat?

He was on Newsroom South-East and said the asylum system doesn't work etc. He was asked what was wrong with it and repeated himself. Eventually he said "How should I know? That's Tony Blair's responsibility!"

Government in waiting, I think not.

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chopped Up Man
Member # 353

- posted      Profile for Chopped Up Man         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's a problem I have with my theory on democracy.
Yes, at the end of it I wanted to claim asylum in a country where the majority of people weren't cunts.

The Panorama expose that followed on asylum seekers that slip through the net offered the shock horror story that there are people on the margins of society who work outside the law - did they really think that two punnets of raspberries for a pound were picked on the minimum wage?

So what do you think? Is Britain like a lifeboat that will quite literally sink under the combined weight of asylum seekers? Or will unfettered immigration lead to a global class system where the highly skilled live in the temperate zone, basically New Zealand and Mediterranean Europe with a lot less white people, and the rest of us scrabble for survival on the ruined artificial islands of Dubai?

Posts: 756 | From: Semi-Essex | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
steveeeeeeeee
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for steveeeeeeeee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I find it hard to understand why asylum seekers aren't allowed to work, I also find it hard to reason why exonomic asylum seekers can't apply for a 1 or 2 year work visa. Whose jobs are they stealing, students? I doubt they want to work in factories as much as the next man but the fact remains, working in the UK at minimum wage for a couple of years can povide enough cash for these people and their families back home to live comfortably for a while. Why don't we just eliminate the black market and control it properly and safely? I see it as no different to someone working on an oil rig for half a year.
Posts: 4370 | From: Portas de Benfica | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
wingco
Member # 93

- posted      Profile for wingco     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely, steve9. Attitudes towards asylum seekers in this country aren't just mean-spirited and bigoted (as depressingly confirmed by the overwhelming, 'send 'em back' tendency in those phone votes last night), they don't make any economic sense.

Population levels across Europe are going to fall at a greater rate over the next 50 years than they did during either the bubonic plague or the 100 Years War. There already is a labour shortage and it's going to get much worse the older we all get - especially when it comes to the jobs no one wants to do. Some of those Daily Mail-believing Little Englander twats who were raving away last night will probably be having their arses wiped in nursing homes by asylum seekers a couple of decades from now.

Posts: 4035 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I find it hard to understand why asylum seekers aren't allowed to work,
That's the thing Steveeeeeeeee, then you get talksport radio hacks talking about asylum seekers coming over and nicking benefits and hanging around our town centres.

Nobody ever says in public that they are not allowed to work of the B&B's that the are put in do not alow them to stay in their rooms during the day.

Like you say, many economic migrants would like to come over here and do the shitty jobs that are beneath the average brit, take the money back home and build a mantion and have enough cash to start a business.

Let em I say.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Worrying fact I heard last night on the Panorama special after Asylum: Why Do We Give The BNP This Exposure?. 80% of asylum applications in Holland are dealt with within 5 days. Most applications in the UK take as long as 6 months. By which time the Home Office have lost track of the applicants.

The best bit was at the end. The Moldovan journalist, who had been working - and holding a British passport - in Britain for twelve years and was applying for asylum to show the flaws in the system, told the immigration department in Croydon that she was a journalist applying for asylum. They reacted in the most sensible, open-minded and democratic way that you'd expect a government department to react when they've been caught doing something sub-standard.

They arrested her.

'Scuse me, mate. I think these are your toys.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are refering to the Immigarion and Nationalisation department (IND) ?

I must take issue with you there BVM, they are staffed by the uptmost professionals you can find in the IT business anywhere in the world.
Even though their network guys have no Idea about the principles of Firewalls and NAT.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Are refering to the Immigarion and Nationalisation department (IND) ?"

I think so. I'd had some Stella Artois after the event, so can't remember.

"I must take issue with you there BVM, they are staffed by the uptmost professionals you can find in the IT business anywhere in the world."

Does that include you? In that case, fair enough. Although I didn't see you at the end with your face like a slapped arse because your incompetences had been rumbled.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC