This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » The Big Fuse Blows (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Big Fuse Blows
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59539-2003Aug14.html

Kent Brockman: "Professor, without knowing precisely what the danger is, would you say it's time for our viewers to crack each other's heads open and feast on the goo inside?"

Professor: "Yes I would, Kent."

Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Paul S
Member # 75

- posted      Profile for Paul S     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use more electricity in the Summer than in the Winter. This is because of the power that air conditioning units and fans require. A large part of this problem is the construction of new homes in a style that looks good, rather than ones which are functional and designed to keep cool. Or to put it another way, if you live in a nice looking house with lots of wood in it, you need air con to keep it cool in the Summer (Californians may recognise this problem). Conversely, a stone cottage is far cooler and will last longer.
Posts: 2400 | From: Plastered over the Maplin Sands | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stone structures are cooler during the day, but during the night they tend to retain the heat from the day's sunlight. What we need are collapsable stone houses that you can fold away during the night.

I was watching CNN, and one of their reporters had decided to use one of the pay phones to get the reaction "from the people in the streets". As you can see in the picture in the article, there were huge queues of people wanting to use the pay phones to call home, and they didn't appreciate it being used to go live on CNN. All you heard on tv was "yes, and I can confirm that the electricity in all the buildings is out, including lifts and th...get off the damn phone! <click>".

[ 15-08-2003, 00:43: Message edited by: Coyote del espacio ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nishlord
Member # 97

- posted      Profile for Nishlord     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So it's true - Americans can actually walk when they have to.
Posts: 8698 | From: City of Snot | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reed
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Reed     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't imagine the sort of hell it must be for people in the big cities. I can recall days where I had trouble getting out of DC because one of the metro lines was down. I can't imagine New York with everything kaput.
Posts: 15414 | From: left to right on your radio dial... | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A large part of this problem is the construction of new homes in a style that looks good
Really? I hadn't noticed.
Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Still, authorities warned that they may not be able to restore full normalcy in time for Friday's rush hour as some areas braced for a longer recovery.
Sounds strange. "Hurry up, goddamnit, we want to get back home in crowded subway trains, miles-long static traffic jams in blistering heat and crowds of rampant oncoming pedestrians who'll walk over your skull as soon as look at you!"

[ 15-08-2003, 08:23: Message edited by: ian642002 ]

Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, those Scandinavian style eco-homes are mainly made of wood and they perform very well in term of insulation and conservation of heat/cool.

For a few months, I walked past a Barrats construction site. The way they build those cheap houses is a disgrace...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
They
Member # 545

- posted      Profile for They     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does terrorism have to be ruled out immediately when anything happens in the USA nowadays? I mean, absolutely anything. Britain's just in the last throws of a heatwave. If it was across the Atlantic, it would have to be stressed that this weather "was not linked to terrorism" as soon as the fucking sun shines.

Please tell me it's just the media and the government being paranoid and trying to portray this "woe r us" attitude time and again.

It used to be a joke, but now it's just irksome.

Posts: 1000 | From: The Mouthes Of Babes Come Burps | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a few months, I walked past a Barrats construction site.
Big one, was it?
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One shouldn't seek to make light of what is obviously a pretty distressing situation, but, ooh, the ironies pouring forth from this one. The US currently has a Government of energy executives by energy executives, and the country's power supplies suffer their biggest fuck-up ever. I should imagine, too, that people in Iraq, whose power has been intermittently on the blink ever since Bush launched his Noble Crusade in March, might also afford themselves a wry smile at all this too.

Now where's that 'dying rage of empire' thread we did a while back?

Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jimski
Member # 115

- posted      Profile for Jimski     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is this such a big story? A question for that media thread, I think.

I can understand why it's discussed on OTF as we have people who live in affected places, but all over the news in the UK? Madness.

Posts: 7403 | From: the Horizon of the Aten | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nah about a dozen houses. Noticed how small the rooms were and how the walls had the mingiest insulation material put in. I remember going to visit my mother in-law on the site she was working (she sells houses) and noticed the cold draft from the entry door straight away. Apparently not a problem I was told, just turn up the heating...

Very good question Jimsky, with all due respect to those affected, why should we care for them more than the for our neighours in Europe suffering fires, heatwaves, water restriction, etc ?

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ian .64
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for ian .64     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Only minutes after John Pienaar and some other bod have a chinwag on Five Live about how Britain would cope through a huge power cut (the same as we've done through all the other ones, really), we get one at work! Life imitates...er, life.
Posts: 9378 | From: Wolverhampton | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
E10Rifle
Member # 34

- posted      Profile for E10Rifle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good, if obvious, points MM and Jimski about the superior news value in Britain of American lives. It's the same with things like natural disasters: a hurricane rips its way through a dozen underdeveloped Caribbean islands, destroying lives, crops, livelihoods and economies and it's "see page 94" stuff; as soon as the same hurricane so much as overturns a fucking barbecue in Florida it's headline news.
Posts: 12564 | From: The bus lane | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC