This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » A statue of a donkey with a rabbit and a fox on it's back (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: A statue of a donkey with a rabbit and a fox on it's back
Gangster Octopus
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for Gangster Octopus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No-one's mentioned the collapsing phone boxes of Kingston yet.
Posts: 20721 | From: Far away, without a city wall | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
or the apostrophe aberration in the title...
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Andy C
Member # 51

- posted      Profile for Andy C     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Worst Statue In The World is the one of Peter the Great in Moscow. Apparently the perpetrator created a statue of Christopher Columbus that he intended to flog to the Floridans for the anniversary of 1492, but they were having none of it. So he changed the head - not the Renaissance Spanish armour, mark you - and persuaded the mayor of Moscow to take it.

-

Posts: 8328 | From: Hampstead Norreys no more | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's so bizarre. I remember seeing that and asking if it was meant to be Christopher Columbus, seeing as that's what it looks like, and being ridiculed for my lack of knowledge. Now I just have to remember who was ridiculing me, track them down and have the last laugh...
Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
fuck me. I take pride in my correct apostropisation (errr?). So that error in the thread title is unforgivable. I shall leave it there as a warning to future generations.

It's not a fox, by the way. Further investigations by my investigative team have revealed that the creature doesn't have a bushy tail. It's long and thin. Like that of a rat. But it's too big to be a rat. So it could be a Kopi, or something. Some sort of animal, anyway, that I haven't heard of.

Could it be a coyote? What sort of tails do coyotes have?

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
right. finished work. i'm off to take a picture of this thing. stay tuned.
Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Freaky!

quote:
The Storey Gallery has secured Arts Council and County Council funding for the temporary placement of a bronze statue by acclaimed London-based sculptor Sophie Ryder next to the fountain in Lancaster's Market Square. The Councilís City Centre Strategy, produced in 2001, included public art as a priority. Three years on, this sculpture marks the first step towards fulfilling this aspiration and the Storey Gallery hopes that it will be the first in a series of temporary public artworks in Lancaster.

Sadly, to date, neither the Storey Gallery nor the County Council have been able to locate any local sculptors worthy of interest. So we are priviliged indeed to be able to borrow this piece, of a horse with two animal riders, entitled Conversations, which will be installed on Thursday morning. The Storey hints helpfully that in Cheltenham, a similar Ryder scheme resulted in the residents raising the cash to buy the sculpture outright - so maybe this publicly funded marketing strategy will be successful for the artist here too! An exhibition of sculpture, drawings and prints by Sophie Ryder will be on show at the Storey Gallery from 21 June to 28 August.

So, it's good to see that they found a non-local sculptor worthy of interest, as this other piece by the same artist proves...

-

[ 27-05-2004, 18:56: Message edited by: Twilight Johnny Atom ]

Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Etienne
Member # 95

- posted      Profile for Etienne     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From TJA's spiel - "this piece, of a horse with two animal riders," it would appear that EIM isn't the only one to be unable to identify both the riders. I think it's a fox though, however mis-shapen its tail might be.
Posts: 7411 | From: some place more ... you know. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Sadly, to date, neither the Storey Gallery nor the County Council have been able to locate any local sculptors worthy of interest."

This brings to mind two images. One of local lancstrian sculptors , starving in garrets before being driven to suicide through sheer frustration beacause no matter how big or how realistic their statues of Freddie Mercury are, they're still not considered worthy enough. And the other of the M6 northbound lane being locked solid as self proclaimed 'worthy' culptors head north in a Klondike like rush to possible recognition.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

well, here it is in situ...

-

didn't think i'd be beaten to an image. smart work, tja.

three years and no local sculptors worthy of interest. i think that says a great deal more about lancaster city council than it does lancaster's sculpting community.

i tell you what it looks like, actually - something from ray harryhausen that never made it into 'jason and the argonauts'. i wouldn't be surprised if it came to life tomorrow and started walking around the shopping precinct in jerky stop-motion.

and i stick by comments about the breasts.

Willie1Foot
Member # 18

- posted      Profile for Willie1Foot     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The dog looks like one of those Egyptian ones. It's not a fox.

The rabbit looks like a right floozy.

Posts: 3221 | From: the shores of Botany Bay | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uncle Ethan
Member # 84

- posted      Profile for Uncle Ethan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps they are about to create a fabbit, or a rox.
Posts: 3958 | From: WA | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In between pubs this afternoon, and before his haircut, Lyncho and I took a walk to see it together. I commented to Lyncho that it would be ashame if it wasn't permanent as it added character to the town (I refuse to label Lancaster as a city) centre. Some bloke turned round and very enthusiasticaly agreed with me. I walked off embarrassed towards HMV to find a Nick Drake album with Lyncho, but the old fella remained by the statue chatting to school kids for a good five minutes. He seemed well chuffed with everything.

I give it till Sunday before some dick vandalises it. Even if it means I have to do it myself.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Twilight Johnny Atom
Member # 153

- posted      Profile for Twilight Johnny Atom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Lancaster's wierd. If you look closely at mumpo's photo you can see someone pulling a golf trolley through the town centre and - just behind the foxy dog - a fuckin' great big white rabbit.
Posts: 1495 | From: Where I stand | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chippy
Member # 23

- posted      Profile for Chippy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a Cheshire cat in the tree I think. Only a few miles from home.
Posts: 3563 | From: Standlake | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC