This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » 8.9 (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   
Author Topic: 8.9
ad hoc
Member # 52

- posted      Profile for ad hoc     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fuck me.

When I heard that an earthquake had killed people in the Maldives and Indonesia this morning, I thought it must have been a mistake, given the distance between them. Sadly it wasn't. Anybody who was out on a boat anywehere between Sri Lanka and Malaysia will be dead. Fuck me.

[ 26.12.2004, 12:40: Message edited by: ad hoc tepes ]

Posts: 14456 | From: Magyaristan | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gt2
Member # 1049

- posted      Profile for gt2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is it with this time of year... There seems to be some sort of natural disaster every Christmas or New Year. Remember the earthquake in Iran last year and that big Fucker in Turkey a couple of years back?

Hope Mr & Mrs Wingco are ok in Oz. My parents are in India at the moment. Looking at the map on the BBC web-site both sets of loved ones should be ok. My heart goes out to all those affected.

Posts: 73 | From: north of the watford gap | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Amazingly, a natural disaster seems to have missed Bangladesh.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fucking hell. 8.9?! Every time you go up 0.1 on the Richter scale the damage increases 10 fold. So this thing was 1,000,000,000,000,000,000 times more powerful than what hit Kobe in 1995.

There 2,000 dead in Sri Lanka alone... the Tsunami hit loads of countries. I shudder to think how many people have been hit. Have they warned the east coast of Africa? It could still be headed there.

[ 26.12.2004, 14:25: Message edited by: Space Coyote ]

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Murray Mexted
Member # 707

- posted      Profile for Murray Mexted     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hundreds dead in the tourist resorts of Thailand and Malaysia too.
Posts: 8483 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buildings in Kuala Lumpur are structurally damaged. (ie, not by waves, but due to the vibrations.) Kuala Lumpur is hundreds of kilometres from the epicentre.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
brian - i think each additional full unit on the richter scale represents a tenfold increase in magnitude, rather than each 10th of a unit. so that would make this quake 100 times more powerful than the 6.9 kobe quake?

it's fucking unbelievable. is there any estimate of how many people would have been at sea in that huge area? is there anything still standing in the northern half of sumatra?

Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spearmint Rhino
Member # 189

- posted      Profile for Spearmint Rhino     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My best mate's just come home from a year living in Thailand. Timing.

This is such a huge catastrophe that it will, like the Lisbon earthquake which Voltaire wrote about, have philosophical repercussions (especially at a time like this). Theists will see it as force majeure - the fist of God - and disbelievers will see it as disproof. (Well, some of them. Most of us will just see it as one of those things that happens.)

Posts: 23907 | From: the Naughty North to the Sexy South, we're all singing 'I HAVE THE MOUTH!' | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pietro Paolo Virdis
Member # 776

- posted      Profile for Pietro Paolo Virdis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I’m off to Phuket in two weeks. We SMSed a Thai friend to check that everything was OK. ”We’re OK. Very afraid. Going to the mountains now”
Like the people in the places hit by this don’t have enough to worry about. If there’s a god, he has some god damn explaining to do.

Last week they said that Thai police had found documents belonging to some sought after prick, and these documents dealt with plans for terror strikes on southern Thai tourist resorts, Phuket being one.

I don’t know if I should feel very stupid about this, but I don’t feel a least bit afraid. When the news were on today, all I got was pissed off. Pissed of at how unfair it all is. Not unfair against me and the chances of a cancelled trip, no. It’s not like that’ll make me loose limbs, family members or kill me. No, unfair towards these people. Most of the people killed are poor, like always. I was also pissed on how they covered this story. It’s the same every god damn time. 99% of the news segment focused on the chances of a Swedish tourist being killed in Thailand. It’s almost like they wished they could dig one out for the ”news worthiness”. Thai tourist resorts were hit as well, yes. Several hundred reportedly killed. Meanwhile, they’re saying thousands are killed in Sri Lanka and India but only spent a couple of seconds on this part of the world. God damn c*nts with their angle.

Posts: 19677 | From: San Siro | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A good friend of mine died in Phuket earlier this month, having moved there in January. At least I don't have to worry about his well-being at this time.

As for ganja's theological point: do you hold God (if he exists etc) accountable for all the good things that happen as well?

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

[qoute]brian - i think each additional full unit on the richter scale represents a tenfold increase in magnitude, rather than each 10th of a unit. so that would make this quake 100 times more powerful than the 6.9 kobe quake?[/quote]

That sounds more plausible.

quote:
it's fucking unbelievable. is there any estimate of how many people would have been at sea in that huge area?
Apparently tsunamis pass under ships at sea completely unnoticed, and increase in size only when they get pushed upwards as they approach the coast. So people in ferries and boats should be allright.

quote:
is there anything still standing in the northern half of sumatra?
Who knows. There don't seem to be any tourist resorts there so the media doesn't seem to care.

[ 26.12.2004, 17:04: Message edited by: Space Coyote ]

bryanattoni
Member # 60

According to the USGS the waves reached as far as Somalia.
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Voltaire wrote about, have philosophical repercussions (especially at a time like this). Theists will see it as force majeure - the fist of God - and disbelievers will see it as disproof. (Well, some of them. Most of us will just see it as one of those things that happens.)
I wrote a shitload about this at undergrad. Here's my favourite quote:

Are you then sure, the power which could create
The universe and fix the laws of fate,
Could not have found for man a proper place,
But earthquakes must destroy the human race?
Will you thus limit the eternal mind?
Should not our God to mercy be inclined?
Cannot the God direct all nature's course?
Can power be almighty without resource?

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

It turns out the tsunamis struck the coasts a few hours after the earthquake, due to the time it takes to travel through the sea. It probably took at least 5 hours to reach India and Sri Lanka. Yet thousands of people are dead there. Japan, Australia, and the US have a Tsunami warning system in place for the Pacific, but nobody seems to give a shit about the Indian Ocean. If those people had been warned they'd have had plenty of time to retreat uphill.

That kind of stuff really annoys me.

Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible that the northern part of Sumatra is so close to the epicentre that the tsunami wasn't able to build up the force it had by the time it reached Thailand or Sri Lanka, etc., and therefore maybe didn't suffer the kind of damage that places farther away did?
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 12 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  10  11  12   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC