This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Wiring up your stereo query

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Wiring up your stereo query
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Now then, this has been annoying the life out of me, and despite much random plugging in of cables, I can't for the life of me figure out what's wrong.

By way of explanation, I've got a separates stereo system and for some reason I can't get all the things working in tandem. So, rather than swear at the thing any longer I thought I'd see if I'm missing something ridiculously simple and ask for the otf view. I'm not sure how this diagram will look, but here goes...

Back of the Amp

Phono CD Tuner Tape1/MD Tape 2

Red x x x x x x x

White x x x x x x x

The set up is slightly complicated by the fact that I've got a CD/Minidisc combo.

The way it's set up at present is:

CD/MD Out to CD on the amp, and CD/MD In to Tape1/MD Out.

Tape Out to Tape1/MD In, Tape In to Tape2 Out.

Tuner and Phono are obviously just into their individual plugs.

I've tried plugging them all in individually and they're fine, but it's when they're hooked up all together that things go wrong. In particular, things go wrong with the record player. On it's own it plays fine. With the rest it makes the most awful distortion sounds.

Because it's fine on it's own I'm discounting any problems with the needle. Now, it is circa 5 years old, but hasn't really had a great deal of hammer in that time.

Am I doing something wrong, or is the record player just knackered?

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

- posted      Profile for Danger Mouse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, it didn't turn out right. I'm afraid I don't know how to figure it out, but if you imagine the x's underneath the "phono...tape 2" bits it will (hopefully) make sense.

There should be 2 x's underneath the Tape1/MD and Tape 2 bits.

Sorry.

Posts: 2176 | From: Baker Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like an earthing loop problem.
My antique separates system in Uk has a special earth lead for the turntable, without which it makes terrible humming screeching noises.

Basically you have to detach the earth cable from the turntable plug and run a separate cable from the metal base of the turntable to a special attachment on the back of the amp.

Not sure what you do if there is no earth attachment on the amp though.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

Apologies for dragging this thread back up again, but having bought a new ION USB turntable I'm still having the same problem, which would (I assume) mean that the problem isn't with the turntable per se.

Having searched the web fruitlessly, most of the things seem to say it may be a grounding problem and refer to checking to see if you've got a grounding screw. Now, there is one on the back of the amp. Question is, what do I do with it? There's nothing attached to the outside of the screw. Do I just screw/unscrew til the humming goes away?

Alternatively, given the grounding screw thing, does this mean I can just detach the earth cable as Spock suggests above and it'll all be ok like that?

Help would be greatly appreciated, otherwise I'm throwing all this stuff out the window....

die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Buy a new amp.

If that doesn't work, buy a new MD.

If that doesn't work, buy a new house.

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest, I can't really follow your cabling logic.

You are meant to screw the thin little cable from the turntable onto that screw-bit on the back of the amp (loosen it, put the cable in the opened gap, then tighten - if you are lucky your turntable earth will have a little earthing fork to make it really easy to catch, if not, make sure you have bare wire in contact).

Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Danger Mouse
Member # 111

Thank you. Would appear to have fixed it on the basis of slightly pulling out the cables from turntable to amp, thereby suggesting the connection is loose inside the amp. However, given it's taken hours to get this then I can't be arsed taking the amp apart now.

BTW, there is no thin little cable from the turntable.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC