This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Pool (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Pool
Alderman Barnes
Member # 121

- posted      Profile for Alderman Barnes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Another strange rule they have in Germany is having to pot the black in the pocket opposite the one where you potted the last colour, which means games can go on for ever if both players are going for opposite pockets.
Posts: 4862 | From: the home of the Herzmeister | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
here's a handy tip. want to benefit from the presence of a pool table, but have no money to release the balls? simply play the 'hit one more cushion than the last player' game (snappy title, huh?) with the cue ball.

first player places the cue ball anywhere on the table and plays it so that it hits one (no more, no less) cushion. next player plays the cue ball from where it stops but must hit two (no more, no less) cushions, and so on and so forth, until one player fails to hit exactly the required number of cushions, upon which they lose.

normally five cushions is the maximum achievable amount playing across or around the table (hitting the cue ball any harder invariably causes it to cannon across the room), unless a player attempts a tricky multiple bounce across the jaws of a pocket - which is a legal shot, but you have to be alert to accurately count the number of rebounds.

[ 29.11.2005, 14:37: Message edited by: ex mumpo ]

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
mumpo, did anyone in EIM's erstwhile position ever have cause to throw you and your friends out of an establishment for "not putting any money in the table and just pissing about, like?"
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

- posted      Profile for Mr. Wind-Up Bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't believe you freaks play two shots after the foul. The rules people play by over here are definitely better:

1. Call your shot every time, whether on the black or not
2. Opponent gets to play if you miss, foul or fluke a ball in
3. Play down the table after a cue ball is potted
4. Lose the game if you pot the cue ball while on the black or pot it into a pocket other than your call.

Posts: 664 | From: The bottom of the well, holding a baseball bat | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

- posted      Profile for Mr. Wind-Up Bird     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
mumpo, did anyone in EIM's erstwhile position ever have cause to throw you and your friends out of an establishment for "not putting any money in the table and just pissing about, like?"
Once, when I was a tight-arsed student, I played for three hours with some mates on 20p upstairs in our hall bar. With the pockets stuffed up with paper. I deserved to be barred for the sheer stinginess of it.
Posts: 664 | From: The bottom of the well, holding a baseball bat | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
MWUB, when you say "by over here", are you actually posting from within the eternal, vicious damned fires of hell? No way three of those four "rules" could ever be agreed by anyone other than maniacs who don't understand 8-ball at all, and just want to turn it into some kind of pinball-related lottery where you might as well just shout "next pot wins!" at any given moment.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr. Wind-Up Bird
Member # 1176

Heh. They work here (Dallas, Texas - feel free to determine which circle of hell this represents). No-one has broken my fingers yet, Hustler style, anyway.

Pool on a pub table isn't that difficult: you should have to call your shot. Snooker on a 12' table, on the other hand, puts me in my place every time. It's rare I get more points than I give away in fouls.

boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone ever played Kelly's Pool? You need a lot of people, and those old-fashioned numbered pool balls, not the nice, modern red and yellow type. Everyone draws a number out of the hat, and then people take it in turns, starting with the lowest number. If someone pots a ball they have another shot. The person whose ball is the last one left on the table wins the game (and, in the pub where I learnt the game in Melb'n, a slab). It's great, and only a few fights break out in any given match.
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC