This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Picasso- I don't like him (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Picasso- I don't like him
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think anyone who lives that long will do a number of decent paintings. I like Guernica of course, but I can't see a great deal in this, Les Demoiselles D'Avignon, where he seems to have taken something from Cezanne's Bathers and made it shit:

-

Then there's cubism, according to Picasso himself a very idea. Well, I'm buggered if I see it. Something about giving "multiple facets" or suggesting 3 dimensions in a new way. If so, what the hell is the point of Cubist sculpture?

-

Anyway how can you be moved or impressed by something when you can hardly see what it is? Is it like a Magic Eye puzzle (I never got those either)? Actually they at least could show fairly complex images- cubism can barely do the most obvious bits of still life.

Before all this we have the Blue and Rose periods. OK but hardly justification for the oft-expressed view that he'd done it all and had to try something as perverse as cubism.

He makes a pig's ear of the crucifixion in 1930, coming up with something that does neither surrealism nor horror properly:
 -

And, after sundry nasty pictures of twisted women and bits of spontaneity (better than working for a living) we get this unbelievably shit reworking of one of the greatest paintings ever:

-

In case you're wondering, here's the original.

-

Tell me he's not overrated.

[ 29.11.2005, 23:08: Message edited by: Tubby Isaacs ]

Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"I like Guernica of course". Why "of course"?
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

- posted      Profile for Tubby Isaacs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's on the right side, it's powerful. And it's the right theme at the right time for someone who draws distorted people and Minotaurs all the time.
Posts: 18279 | From: Georgica | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Do you like this?

-

Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Posty Webber
Member # 325

- posted      Profile for Posty Webber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. The above example speaks for itself.

I think Les Demoiselles D'Avignon is brilliant. I like to look at it from the perspective of the voyeur, peering through a shop window at the women.

Some of them want to sell themselves to anyone, and others seem less interested.

The sitting woman's attention is focussed on the inside the brothel, and to me seems angry at the thought of strange men having their way with her girls.

She is looking in 3 different directions. That's brilliant.

Posts: 1019 | From: the family Hominidae | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Scouseroo
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Scouseroo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
he was never called an asshole
Posts: 797 | From: a land girt by sea | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gyp
Member # 963

- posted      Profile for gyp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not like you.
Posts: 439 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crusoe
Member # 263

- posted      Profile for Crusoe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That "America's Guernica" is horrible if you look closely.
Posts: 6300 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

JJB, the seated one ruins the whole picture. She's got an African-mask style of face solely because African art was fashionable.

There have been far better pictures of prostitutes, not least, monsieur Manet's effort:

-

Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Well you won't want to be popping over to Istanbul to check out this exhibition which opened last week.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

that's a decent scribble actually.

did you enjoy the exhibition?

Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He's not overrated but he is overexposed. There must be a Picasso exhibition opening, closing or on view in almost every major city in the world at any given moment (right now the Vollard Suite is on show here.)

He's the bulge in the snake of 20th century painting isn't he? You can't ignore him, anymore than you can ignore the Beatles if you want to know about 60s music. He was enormously talented some may say facile and extremely sharp in detecting where the aesthetic winds were blowing: never quite first on the spot but frequently second. Most of the time I don't find his work all that interesting, it has a chameleon-like quality which doesn't engage or intrigue much. In think the 1930s were his golden decade, especially the drawings (he was a superb draughtsman.)

I always think it's unfair to directly compare images across decades, even if the later one is based on the earlier. Picasso was not attempting the kind of naturalism that Manet was aiming for after all. And viewers, unless they've researched the paintings, don't pick up on the connection.

Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

I agree, was being a bit flippant, but what is he trying to do with that picture. The composition for one thing is a mess.
garcia en dolor
Member # 152

- posted      Profile for garcia en dolor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i actually quite like the reworking of the manet. i especially like the little tyrannosaurus rex arm on the guy on the right.
Posts: 13290 | From: murphyia | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tubby Isaacs
Member # 223

nah, you want to draw dinosaurs do the Flintstones. Don't fuck with this painting.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC