This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Just in the Off-License (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Just in the Off-License
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly time to draw up that Christmas booze list. I've already got the whisky in, and I'm going for Royal Lochnagar. On top of that, I know I want: a gutsy Italian red to go with the pasta we always have on Christmas Eve; probably a Burgundy, or a New World pinot noir, to go with the bird; a big-arse Cabernet to go with the rib roast of beef I've got in; a bunch of other random wines; a selection of delicious beers from around Britain and the world.

Remaining issues: do I get some port? Do I get some pudding wine? Do I get some sherry?

Bourgeois? Moi?

Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
boris
Member # 80

- posted      Profile for boris     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
probably a Burgundy, or a New World pinot noir, to go with the bird
Surely, you mean "lady"?
Posts: 8617 | From: the safe house | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as I can tell, this year's port could be the really special stuff my dad's been saving, rather than the normal '63 Quinto do Noval. I think he has a couple of bottles of '48 and one of '31.

If you want something different to port something like the Blandy's 15 year old Malmsey is a good drink. (Don't drown uncle Clarence in it).

I highly recommend, on the sherry front (if you're after dry stuff as a chilled aperitif), the La Gitana Manzanilla (which isn't quite sherry, for geographical reasons).

You've got no dessert wines, by the way, which is a foolish oversight. You can get some excellent botrytis wines at not unreasonable prices now, but if you're feeling flush a bottle of De Bortoli Noble One goes down very, very well indeed.

Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wyatt Earp
Member # 108

- posted      Profile for Wyatt Earp     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
... the normal '63 Quinto do Noval.
Wow. That's my pretensions put in perspective. (Too much. Too much fucking perspective.)
Posts: 19927 | From: the Cryptic Cabal | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can get hold of this it's well worth it.

I've got given a bottle of quince fruit spirit, lovley stuff, very honeysh. And I am still to open my bottle of bootleg absinthe from the Jura mountains...<shiver>

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

- posted      Profile for Lardinho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I say normal, I mean normal for Christmas. Not normal during the rest of my life. And last year it was 70 Taylors, not the '63 Noval.
Posts: 4013 | From: London | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lardinho
Member # 1208

Ooh. From what I can understand with my shockingly shoddy French, that looks fascinating Moitie. Is it basically like Tokaj?
Nil a fhios agam
Member # 1386

- posted      Profile for Nil a fhios agam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope it's Royal Lochnagar selected reserve rather than the everyday stuff?
Posts: 921 | From: Fair City | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Croute au fromage et oeuf au plat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I could not tell you, the blurb seems to say it belongs to the "oxydised wines" group.

It is actually very rare to find, I digged out an article about a bloke (a jovial castle owner whose hobby is the Vin des Glaciers) who sells it (in Valais that is):

Info

The oldest one knocking around of those cask dates back to 1886...

Posts: 16714 | From: Outskirts of Manchester | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 19

Château Ravire - Vins du VS, Monsieur Michel Savioz, 3968 Veyras
Lardinho
Member # 1208

Well, highly oxidised wines do last for ever. I can't really work out if it's an eiswein, or a sweet fortified wine, or something else.
Member # 19

Eiswein I would say, they leave the grapes till late hence they are prone to some night frost (the Valais area is mountainous with bags of sunshine throughout the year but it does get cold).

Well worth a little visit that part of the world Andy, plenty of very nice food (quite big on air dried meats and cheese as well as fruits (apricots/grape) and veg (asparagus).

And wine wise, it's pretty interesting too.

[ 02.12.2005, 14:07: Message edited by: Moitie-Moitie aux bolets ]

Lardinho
Member # 1208

A friend did the walk from Chamonix to Zermatt earlier in the year and was raving about the food in the Valais, and the way that it slightly changed from valley to valley. He was particularly big on the cured meats and cheeses.
Balderdasha
Member # 109

- posted      Profile for Balderdasha     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And again, you're talking about cheese. It's enough to drive a dairy-starved woman insane.
Posts: 1660 | From: age frais | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TonTon
Member # 41

- posted      Profile for TonTon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Licence
Posts: 9771 | From: London. Yes, actual London, with a real London postcode and everything. | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC