This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Freeview

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Freeview
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm a bit confused.

I quite fancy getting a Freeview box this Christmas, mainly so I can watch a bit of More4. Thing is, I only have a small TV with its own crappy aerial.

Is there any way around this? Or does Freeview have to be done via a roof-top aerial?

One other question: would it be easy enough to plug my old video player in to the setup, so I could record a few programmes?

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you can use a signal booster to get a picture from an indoor aerial.

And yes. Assuming your video has a SCART socket.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It really depends on where you live. Theoretically freeview needs a slightly better aerial than normal tv, but in some areas you can get a decent picture with just an indoor aerial.

Diverting slightly, I find watching footy much less satisfactory on digital than analogue. On long shots, the detail around the players becomes blocky and indistinct, and as the camera pans, the pitch details smears into a general green blur.

Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My freeview box picks up (from an indoor aerial on a portable) all the digital channels perfectly, but can't receive normal ITV or Channel 4. Very strange.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know anything aabout satellite reception in UK?
Not Sky btw.

Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe. What's the question?
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lucy Waterman It Be
Member # 1075

- posted      Profile for Lucy Waterman It Be     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Freeview picks up most things OK, but has very variable reception of the Four stable of channels. Sometimes fine, sometimes infuriating.
Posts: 2972 | From: London | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Our Freeview uses an indoor (powered) aerial. Almost everything is fine, but two channels tend to have pretty crappy reception.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

- posted      Profile for Spock na Escada     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically Satellite kit is very cheap in Turkey so I was thinking of buying a dish/receiver for my old man. But I have no idea what Satellites broadcast to UK or even if they can be picked up on the same receivers on sale here.
Posts: 12057 | From: The pape's second home | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
noj
Member # 753

- posted      Profile for noj     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the analogue switch off still happening in 2010? I can't get Freeview where I live and "there are no plans to extend digital coverage" into my area. So presumably there's no TV for me after 2010.

Looks like I'll have to go back to my spinning jenny.

Posts: 2740 | From: crisp country | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But I have no idea what Satellites broadcast to UK or even if they can be picked up on the same receivers on sale here.
The receiving equipment for digital satellite is standardised. The only thing that is non-standard are the encryption systems. So if you wanted to watch Sky pay channels, you'd need a Sky box. However, with a bog standard free-to-air receiver that you could pick up in Turkey you could get all the free channels on Sky, i.e. BBC 1-4, BBC News ITV 1-4, CNN, Sky News, loads of crap shopping channels plus all the digital radio stations. All the yellow channels are the free ones.

You could also point the dish at another satellite in space (i.e., not the Sky on) like Astra or Hotbird, where you can get German, French, Italian or Spanish TV. Eurosport for example. But you can't get these and the Sky channels at the same time without physically moving the dish. Which is a bummer.

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Malcolm X
Member # 45

- posted      Profile for Malcolm X     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can pick up a technomate 1500CI wih a motorised dish for about 200.

With that you can scan all the satellites in the Clarke Belt.

With a bit of resourcefulness, you can also get most prem matches for free.

I'll be getting this installed once i move to London.

Posts: 14206 | From: Laughing at the budgie hearts | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spock na Escada
Member # 47

Cheers for that. I'll check out that site and see if it's worth bothering.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC