This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Rakish suits (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Rakish suits
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
as i think i might have mentioned awhile ago, i want to get out of the jeans and t-shirt look i have sported for the past few years and move into the alluring world of rakish suits. note my deliberate use of the word 'rakish'; i don't want to strut around in Armani or Paul Smith, ostentatiously advertising my disposable income (chance would be a fine thing). rather, i want to exude a dissolute air of well-worn profligacy combined with a slight whiff of loucheness. think Nick Cave, lingering over an Irish coffee and a slim Panatella in a Soho bordello.

the thing is, i know nothing about the different ways in which suits can be cut. obviously, wearing something that looks more at home in the boardroom is not going to achieve the sense of exciting flamboyancy i desire. i want something brash, something that will look good over untucked white shirts with big open collars, something that's going to complement my skinny frame. and i want to know where i can buy them when i go shopping in Manchester next Friday.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fritz in a fez
Member # 911

- posted      Profile for fritz in a fez     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oxfam
Posts: 4815 | From: London | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you'd been at the Yorkie House pub quiz last night, you'd have seen the Quiz Master wearing a rakish pin stripe suit. With converse trainers. It looked alright, actually.

But you know, B Movie actresses and Canadians were calling.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you ever come to London you should go to Hornets in Kensington, wher you can get a second-hand mint condition bespoke suit for 120-170. Around a quarter of the price originally paid by the first owner.
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kind of defeats the purpose of a bespoke suit to get it second hand. Still a good idea though.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that depends. I costs less than an M & S suit and it looks a million times better. You get one for someone roughly your size, spend 40 getting it altered and you own a 1,000 suit at the end of it.

[ 05.12.2005, 15:02: Message edited by: what's his name, the number 10... ]

Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That someone else has worn. Yuk.

I will never, ever buy second hand clothes. Or shoes.

Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolf 2
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Wolf 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you throw away your clothes after wearing them once? my idol!
Posts: 2032 | From: this world to the next. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hobbes
Member # 28

- posted      Profile for hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No. Neither do I let anyone else wear my clothes.
Posts: 12499 | From: East of Ealing | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
3 piece pinstripe with Converse trainers strangely does indeed work well.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Not me
Member # 65

- posted      Profile for Not me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can usually get a rakish thin guy jacket from H&M, mumpo: 40 a pop, linen or cotton, proper lining, the works. I've got a couple myself. Ideal for the svelte gent dipping his toe in.

Otherwise, try a few expensive ones on to get your measurements and get on eBay, where you can often get a decent designer/tailored suit or jacket for about 80 or 40. Riskier, but more satisfying if you pull it off (I imagine - I've always bottled once the prices got above a ridiculously low amount)

Posts: 4303 | From: The Ministry of the New New Super Heavy Funk | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just bought a 1982 Manchester United home jersey off eBay.

Carry on.

Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolf 2
Member # 1331

- posted      Profile for Wolf 2     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm off to Thailand in may sometime, where of course there is a charming abundance of fake and real suits and designers. gimme your measurements and about $25 and i could prolly bring some back for you.

note to self, stop using prolly as a word. i'll get adminated.

[edited - distracted from the joy of OTF by the whip of work]

[ 05.12.2005, 15:54: Message edited by: Wolf2 ]

Posts: 2032 | From: this world to the next. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"You can usually get a rakish thin guy jacket from H&M"

ah, H&M - my apparel retailer of choice. i'm so glad you mentioned them. looks like it could be a one-stop shop on Friday.

the nearest H&M to us is in Preston, but their entire shopping space is given over to women and children's clothes. two whole floors, and they didn't devote a single square inch to male garments. aparrently there's a branch opening in Lancaster soon. they'd better not make the same mistake.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't forget - always buy a second pair of trousers as the arse always goes out of them long before the jacket even looks vaguely worn.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC