This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Coaching Manuel

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Coaching Manuel
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, was the portrayal of Manuel in Fawlty Towers racist or satirical?
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heston Bee
Member # 836

- posted      Profile for Heston Bee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Que?
Posts: 1493 | From: Loondoon | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozbreaker
Member # 957

- posted      Profile for ozbreaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I call Satirical as the joke was on Basil most of the time.
Posts: 92 | From: In the hearts and minds of the nation... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, in the Germans episode it definitely was. But were Spanish people stereotyped in Britain on account of the portrayal of Manuel?
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ozbreaker
Member # 957

- posted      Profile for ozbreaker     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not having lived there I don't know.

It has been a long time since i've seen it, but the the only real instance that I can think of where Manuel was truely 'stupid' and that was in 'Basil the Rat' with the who Siberian Hamster Debacle.

In all other interactions that I recall, The joke is on Basil and his inability to be able to or even have the will to 'lower' himself commmunicate properly. It almost always reflects badly on Basil and his old school pretentious condescending ways rather than Manuel.

As it's the way peoples brains work, I imagine there would have been *some* stereotyping.

On the same note were British people stereotyped overseas on the portayal of Basil?

Posts: 92 | From: In the hearts and minds of the nation... | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC