This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » Puns (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Puns
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One of my staffers is visiting London in May. Today she informed me that her itinerary would include Charles Dickens' house.

"It's very bleak, I believe," I replied.

Staffer groans, masking her amusement at my delightful pun.

"So you have greater expectations when it comes to punnery?" I asked.

"Please, no more!" begged staffer.

"So you don't identify with all of Dickens' protagonists," I observed.

Why is our defaut reaction to puns the condescending groan? Shouldn't a clever pun be rewarded by at least a muted acknowledgment of its wit?

Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Don Malhumorado
Member # 63

- posted      Profile for Don Malhumorado     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. But they weren't good puns. That was just a tale of two shittys.
Posts: 14591 | From: Paper Street | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

- posted      Profile for G-Man     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ouch.
Posts: 22308 | From: one floor to another | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TV's 'Mr P'
Member # 164

- posted      Profile for TV's 'Mr P'     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need the right company for a pun. They're great fun to bat back and forth with a buddy - but cut little ice in a professional environment, I can assure you.

You see, the pun is considered 'last resort' when writing funnies, not a 'real' gag at all and only for use when all else fails. (A notion I've always found a bit fascistic, even though I can see from where it's coming).

Example: in my days on television's NMTB, somebody referred to a song about chocolate (I forget which - perhaps 'Chocolate in the Box' by Bros??). I enquired whether said track had ever been 'covered by a rapper' - and was virtually booted out of the room for what had been a throwaway remark! Go figure.

Puns evoke very different reactions in different people. Perhaps we should get imp in on this? He seemed to be approaching a nervous breakdown over such things recently...

Posts: 10682 | From: the vaults of the biggest record collection in the world... | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eggchaser
Member # 921

- posted      Profile for Eggchaser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It could be worse. It could be a sale of two titties.
Posts: 6505 | From: the passenger seat of Mr Toad's car, driving-by this thread | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Member # 104

I must say, said staffer and I like to trade puns, especially in the company of another staffer over whose head they usually fly. Perhaps the groans are a reaction to noit having a good comeback.

I think the "rapper" pun is very funny, TVMP.

die grosse linke Hand
Member # 1437

- posted      Profile for die grosse linke Hand     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen Milton Jones do a full stand up set, about 30 mins, which was all puns. It was brilliant, though pretty torturous.
Posts: 3418 | From: Gotham | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cruciverbal pun:

Complaint? G-Men it is! (10)

Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
evilC
Member # 1312

- posted      Profile for evilC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Milton Jones is excellent!

Sample:

"I went home to my wife. I said 'Hi, hun, I'm home'. We don't use pet names - she's German."

[ 10.02.2006, 11:30: Message edited by: evilC ]

Posts: 7428 | From: such drivers' ed films as 'Alice's Adventures Through the Windshield Glass' | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
what's his name, the number 10....
Member # 588

- posted      Profile for what's his name, the number 10....     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The modern pun has fallen on hard times G man.
Posts: 4145 | From: acts of manual sexual altruism | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Culchie Halfwit Alert
Member # 670

- posted      Profile for Culchie Halfwit Alert     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spooner's and Dickens' bust auction (4,2,3,6)
Posts: 401 | From: Beyond the 38th Parallel | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joe Public
Member # 48

- posted      Profile for Joe Public     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
'Not so much adultery, more a lay of wife.'
Posts: 4524 | From: The North-West Frontier | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Inca
Member # 675

- posted      Profile for Inca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love puns. I don't think I'd like a standup routine of them, because I like them more when they're spontaneous, in conversation.

My dad is good with puns. My mom hates them, but I always laugh.

Perversely, I like puns even better when they're not even that funny, but are told in a way that really sells the bad pun.

Posts: 16877 | From: Gobias Industries | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Femme Folle
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Femme Folle     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like unintentional puns that just spontaneously appear in conversation.
Posts: 18278 | From: the cattery | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad's side of the family are masters of pun. Their favourite ones involve fish.
Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC