This board has been transferred to www.wsc.co.uk,

why not join us there

One Touch Football - Archive   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» One Touch Football - Archive » World » A final Straw? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A final Straw?
Felicity, I guess so
Member # 1104

- posted      Profile for Felicity, I guess so     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably not, but Straw inviting Condi to Liverpool (she likes the Beatles) and Blackburrrn (she likes blue & white halved kits*) then shouting 'anti-democratic' when the formerly pliant Muslim community of his constituency refuse to let her have a photo op at their expense, seems to me unlikely to advance his career, post-Blair. But as thread after thread is indicating, for all their focus-groupery they don't seem to have much of a clue, do they?

*I made that bit up.

Posts: 3320 | From: Goodbye Arganzuela, hallo Tyne & Wear | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Moral Animal.
Member # 717

- posted      Profile for The Moral Animal.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Earlier, Ms Rice and Foreign Secretary Jack Straw arrived to noise from both protesters and supporters.

"I find them an exercise in democracy, I don't find them off-putting or disconcerting," she told reporters.

Mr Straw described crowds of supporters outside as "remarkable" and dismissed the number of demonstrators as "not large".

"They (protesters) said they were going to get bus loads and bus loads in. Well they didn't do very well," said Mr Straw.

"If they had asked me I could have done better for them."

I'm starting to come around to Purves' view that a Labour defeat, followed by the resignation/retirement of all these current fuckers is the best thing that could happen.

[ 01.04.2006, 14:09: Message edited by: The Moral Animal ]

Posts: 2235 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rogin the Armchair fan
Member # 683

- posted      Profile for Rogin the Armchair fan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jack Straw is one of the few New Labour politicians I still like. This is only on the basis that I have long held that if MPs were chosen not by election, but by lottery, then we'd have far fewer smarmy, well-groomed mannequins talking Jowellisms at us on Newsnight, and far more ordinary, run-of-the-mill, people. Your Home Secretary could be Roger, the bloke who runs the car radio repairshop and has got a scar on his forehead from where his first wife tried to kill him with a chip pan. The Education Secretary would be Tina, a single mum with four kids all aged under 5, whose interests include Coronation Street, going round to her Mum's, and smoking. And the Foreign Secretary would be Jack, the grumpy old bastard who lives on his own in number 43, and is always coming out of his house to glare at the kids playing football outside.
Posts: 15858 | From: this corner of the bar you can only see half of the big screen | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bryanattoni
Member # 60

- posted      Profile for bryanattoni     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

made what up?

Posts: 8126 | From: la palude di amstel | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amor de Cosmos
Member # 87

- posted      Profile for Amor de Cosmos     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've long thought and mentioned here a couple of times the monarchy ought to be appointed by national lottery. After all the job is almost entirely ceremonial. No experience is necessary or even desirable. Each commonwealth country would have their own winners, so having a head of state that pops in for a week or so every couple of years would no longer be an issue. And the entertainment value of watching Doug and Edna from Moose Jaw sharing a brew and bowl of chips with Jacques Chirac would be much more entertaining than watching the current shower hold their forks the correct way.
Posts: 7138 | From: here you can't get there | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathan HelenaHandcart
Member # 635

- posted      Profile for Nathan HelenaHandcart     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Blackburn really know how to ingratiate themselves with the local population. First, they make Thatcher the club president in the early 90s, then this with Rice.
Posts: 2896 | From: The Los Angeles Underground | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Duncan Gardner
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for Duncan Gardner     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Their disabled fans coordinator is all right.
Posts: 3478 | From: the Underworld | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What the fuck is going on here?
quote:
The hospitality lavished on US secretary of state Condoleezza Rice by Jack Straw was repaid as the two flew through the night to Iraq, when Ms Rice reportedly gave up her cabin and bed to her British counterpart and slept on the floor in the aisle.

Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sgt. Pinback
Member # 987

- posted      Profile for Sgt. Pinback     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Clearly a whiff of romance is in the air.
Posts: 3144 | From: Manchester UK | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On last night's news, Straw was quite openly saying that the US and the UK expect to heavily influence Iraqi politics, in return for the "coalition" troops who have died and the "money spent" there.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
My name is Mumpo
Member # 551

- posted      Profile for My name is Mumpo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Clearly a whiff of romance is in the air"

going by the footage of them disembarking from the plane, she had him dressed up in a helmet.

Posts: 23475 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Purves Grundy
Member # 698

- posted      Profile for Purves Grundy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well it's entirely in keeping with Labour policy as regards money spent by wealthy would-be lawmakers in this country.

There are many things you can accuse Labour of, but I'm not sure that hypocrisy is one of them.

Posts: 7499 | From: A Gun | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Diggedy Derek
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for Diggedy Derek     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
On last night's news, Straw was quite openly saying that the US and the UK expect to heavily influence Iraqi politics, in return for the "coalition" troops who have died and the "money spent" there.
Sounds like this rhetoric is for the benefit of us, rather than those in Iraq.
Posts: 8033 | From: Kazakhstan Laboratories | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Horse
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for The Horse     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It struck me as fairly unusual to openly admit to something so anti-democratic.
Posts: 8111 | From: London | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginger Yellow
Member # 447

- posted      Profile for Ginger Yellow     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Syria could probably make the same argument about Lebanon.
Posts: 12612 | From: London | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | WSC